I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting bored with carting around Dexter's heavy crate every time we go out and it's a mission for my daughter fitting it into her little KA. My cav used to sit on the floor of the passenger seat but Dex won't- he wants to sit on my lap when I'm driving- not a good idea!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Flossy always wants to sit on my lap when im driving to, someone told me you can get a seat belt harness for dogs, not sure what Flossy would make of that x

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have one of the Clix car harness's that goes over Poppy's head and clips either side, then plugs into the middle seat beat on the back seat. We have used it from first bringing her home and she happily travels in-between the kids car seats - just lies down on a blanket. Have had to do one emergency stop, and she just ended up in the footwell a bit confused!

Would recommend, and was reasonable at about £12.

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item--Clix-Car-Safety-Harness--carsafeharness---dogs

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
our loy go in the boot or the back seets, or as we have a six seater so atleast 2 of the can sit on the middle frount seat. realy should haness them in but the stand on the button an release the belt, well gypsy does anway

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
hahaha yup right up around my neck, and she will stay there quiet for an hour easily...such a funny girl

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
i have a car harness for betty and i have a little bed she goes in on either the front or back seat and then has her harness on. she's always been more than happy to sit there. i've been lucky as she's always been good in the car. x

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
We have one of these for Lolly at the moment. She started with it on the front passenger seat and has now progressed to the back seat. I'm hoping she might eventually have it in the boot but might also outgrow it soon :eek:.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Have always used harnesses in the car for my 2 ! You can buy just the short lead that has a car seat bit on one end and a clip the other to just plug them in which seat you want - got mine thru amazon - about £5.
It really is safer for them and you, they can still sit, stand and lie down. :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have always only put Chloe in her kennel but my husband uses a car harness.

I think I am going to switch to the car harness too. At our last puppy school class, the instructor was asked about what to do about a dog whining all the way to class even though it was on someone's lap. The first thing the instructor said was "WHY is the puppy on a lap?" They are a projectile in an accident (or even a sudden stop) which is not safe for anyone. And I thought I was being safe by keeping her in the kennel but unless the kennel is strapped down somehow and/or somewhere where it won't move, the kennel is also a projectile. For some reason, I never thought of that.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have always only put Chloe in her kennel but my husband uses a car harness.

I think I am going to switch to the car harness too. At our last puppy school class, the instructor was asked about what to do about a dog whining all the way to class even though it was on someone's lap. The first thing the instructor said was "WHY is the puppy on a lap?" They are a projectile in an accident (or even a sudden stop) which is not safe for anyone. And I thought I was being safe by keeping her in the kennel but unless the kennel is strapped down somehow and/or somewhere where it won't move, the kennel is also a projectile. For some reason, I never thought of that.
I use the travel crate as pictured above but always put the car seat belt through the handle on the top and strap it in. That way we are all safe in an accident. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
At the moment I have a dog carrying bag which i am praying Holly never grows out of - i attach her harness to the bag then put the seat belt through the handles just in case I crash:eek:

so far she hasn't minded but it has only been 2 car journeys so can't say for sure that i wont have problems. i do have a harness ready when she is big enough that i can put the seat belt through and i was going to buy a cheap pillow and pillow case from the supermarket for her to sit on.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Straight in the boot with a dog guard up - but Eddie was already fully grown when we got him and can imagine if we had a ickle puppy we would have to have different arrangements.
I think they need to strapped in somehow though - if you braked suddenly so much damage could be done :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts