I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking little Eevee on Friday to the vets for her second jabs, some people say wait a week after and some two weeks any advice ?
thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Our vet said a week after. It's frustrating isn't it! Probably not for the little ones - they don't know there's a whole exciting world out there with so many exciting things to see and smell - but I'm getting stir crazy being cooped up at home! I'm desperate for walkies!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Uh oh, I've taken my dog for a couple walks and I only got her a week and a half ago. Just a quick 5-10 minute walk around half a block. She hasn't had her second set of shots yet. I live in a neighborhood with so many dogs that even when I just have her in my yard other people with their dogs stop by. She's getting her second shots on Saturday. I do know that every dog she's come into contact with is up to date on vaccinations - I'll have to ask my vet what to do. In the meantime I'll stop the walks.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Probably a good idea to stop the walks with lots of dogs in the neighbourhood....we had lady get her second shots the second day we had her, as she hadn't had them and was 11 weeks old.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Northern Star I was taking out 'Lo before 12 weeks lol. But we're in a small town. If you're in a really dog filled (or stray filled) area, then I agree with playing it safe and waiting. Though I consider two or three days after the shot to be enough.

Heather - I'd go with Amanda. Though I do think that taking her out in a bag or in your arms and just letting her look, not touch (or be touched!) is ok too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your comments, I have been taking her out in my arms to get use to traffice noise and she has met my mums and sisters dogs who have all been vacinated, I am hoping that walking will also tire her out a little bit more so that my night time sleeps get longer , although I know they cannot have too much exercise when they are young !

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't know if the advice differs in the States to the UK, but I know that even here, the kinds of illness they can pick up varies from region to region, so I guess the approach is bound to differ in different countries.

We were told not to take her out of the house/garden before her first jabs, unless we carried her constantly. And between the first and second jabs, we were allowed to bring her to the vets' puppy parties, which only had puppies who'd had their first jabs. But I also took her to meet my sister's dog because I knew he was up to date with his jabs (I carried her to and from the car and only let her in the house and garden).

·
Registered
283 Posts
sorry to be a bit slow but wont i be able to take Flossy for a walk after her 2nd jab which is tomorrow ?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
We had to wait one week after vaccinations with Beau at our vets but some do say 2 weeks. Time does drag when waiting to walk them but we took Beau everywhere with us just didn't let her go down on the ground :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi. I think it has alot to do with the risk of Parvovirus in your area and the number of dogs you are likely to encounter.

We used to live in a very rural location and happily took our pups for short walks after the first jab.

Now we live just outside of a city so will definitely wait for the recommended time before she is on the ground outside.

I think it is down to the level of antibodies the pup has from its mother. Much of the first jab can be killed off by these antibodies leaving your pup vunerable.

Find out the risks for your area and take your vets advice.

·
Registered
283 Posts
hi Karen, i know, even flossy is getting fed up with being carried she keeps trying to get down, not long now though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Rosie is starting to wriggle about to much in my pocket, she will have to go into my game bag for our walks. only three and a half weeks to go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts