I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Oh he is so cute! He does not look impressed with his outfit though! lol

Everything I've read and trainers I've asked have said they can generally hold it 1 hour per month of age plus an hour. So if he is 4 months then he could hold it for up to 5 hours. That's just a guideline though and every dog is going to be different. We crate trained Olive and she was able to stay clean in her crate over night right away. I started off leaving her in her crate for about 2 hours during the day and moved up from there. She has never had an accident in her crate and I now leave her for up to 5 hours. Not everyday, ,but probably 2 times a week. When I let her outside after 5 hours she doesn't even pee right away so I think she could go longer than 5 hours, but i feel comfortable with that amount of time.

I'm not sure about the regression with the pee pads because I nver used them, but Olive was pretty much house trained a month ago and she's been regressing a bit in our basement. I think that is normal. My kids both did the same thing!

·
Registered
340 Posts
We used a crate as a tool for house training. There are always going to be different ways of doing things and a lot of ways will get you to the same outcome, but for us using a crate was an easy, less stress way to get to house trained quickly. Now for some people using a crate may not be as easy as it was for us so they may use another method, but I do think crate training and house training are related. Now that she is pretty much house trained I use the crate less. While she was being trained I used the crate every time i couldn't watch her. If I had to shower she went in the crate for 10 minutes. We also use the crate to keep her safe while we are out and as a comfortable spot for her in our loud, crazy kid filled house. IMO crate training is the best thing in the world, but I understand that not everyone is going to share that view. It's not the only tool in house training your puppy, but I only commented on that aspect of it because the poster was asking about the crate. When Olive wasn't in her crate I'd take her outside every 30 minutes and then moved that up to every hour. It's a lot of work, but well worth it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm not really sure about that. As of right now I have no plans to stop crating her when I leave the house. I have however let her sleep in my room out of the crate and she didn't have any accidents. She slept the whole night with no issues. Except that she woke me up too early so she is back in the crate at night now! If i do decide to stop using the crate it won't be until she is at least a year old. She hasn't had an accident upstairs in a while, but when i let her downstairs she sometimes pees in the playroom. I don't trust her 100% yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.