I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering how long you will leave your dog home alone for?

The longest i've ever left Betty was 6 hours and she was with my friends dog too but if she is totally on her own i am only really happy leaving her for up to 5 hours. I think i first left her alone for 4 hours when she was 5 or 6 months old but even as she has now got to being 18 months i still feel 5 hours is enough time for her to be left. I know that there will always be unforseen circumstances when you have to leave them longer than planned but this is more about what length of time are you happy leaving your dog for.

What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
I get bothered leaving her for more than 4 hrs. tho she is always fine... 6 is the most we have ever left her.

G

·
problem is if you dont leave them for varying lengths of time they become to dependant on you , they need to learn that you have to leave them but you will be back soon , otherwise you will have "seperation anxiety" so do not be 24/7 with them go out leave them in a safe comftable place with the radio on and a pigs ear and enjoy your self !!! janice x

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
problem is if you dont leave them for varying lengths of time they become to dependant on you , they need to learn that you have to leave them but you will be back soon , otherwise you will have "seperation anxiety" so do not be 24/7 with them go out leave them in a safe comftable place with the radio on and a pigs ear and enjoy your self !!! janice x
sorry i am a bit confused by this reply??

Betty gets regularly left for varying times when i've just gone for a run, or like this evening when i go to pilates for an hour, in the morning when i go to work the dog walker usually gets her 2 hours after i have gone to work. I am a bit confused by the separation anxiety comment as Betty is usually fine when left and is often curled up on the sofa when i get home. i was just interested to know how long other people feel happy to leave their dogs and if those with more than one are happier leaving two together as they have each other.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I work ever morning and leave Rio for between 4 and 5 hours. In an ideal world I would love to be at home but unfortunately I have to work. He is used to it now and he has never known any different.
Natalie

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I work ever morning and leave Rio for between 4 and 5 hours. In an ideal world I would love to be at home but unfortunately I have to work. He is used to it now and he has never known any different.
Natalie
i know how you feel, i do wish i could have Betty with me at work!!! She has come along a few times!!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I aim at a max of 4 hours, probably once a week, but have left her for 5 on several occasions and once we got stuck in a traffic jam on the M5 so she was alone for 6 hours. I regularly leave her for shorter periods if I want to do things in the house without my little friend. I try to walk her prior to a 4 hour leave and then she just sleeps. She is usually still on her bed when I get back. I tell her I will be back!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
We've slowly increased the amount of time we leave Lolly. Ideally I don't like it to be for more than 4 hours but occasionally this can't be avoided. From the day we got her she has been left for varying short times - from 5 mins while I take my daughter to the bus stop.
I feel happier leaving her for longer periods now that she no longer has her crate (which went when she was 6.5 months old) as I know she can move around and change from her favourite spot on the sofa to her favourite spot on the chair!
She used to look all forlorn at me through the living room glass door when I first started leaving her out of her crate but now she hardly glances my way! She's more interested in the yummy treat I've left with her (she doesn't always get a treat, just when I know it will be a longer time until I get home)
The other thing I've always done since we got her is say 'back soon' every time we leave her so she knows that we are going out.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to know its not just me that had a 4 to 5 hour maximum that i am happy to leave their dog. Betty knows when i'm going out as in the mornings when i go to work early, unplugging the hairdryer and spraying perfume is her signal to go and sit on her blanket on the sofa to wait for her treat!!

She amused me once as we were at home one evening and she was in her classic dozing place of under the sofa so i took the rubbish out. as i came back in i looked into my bedroom there was Betty bouncing all over my bed like a child that had been left home alone so i would love to know what she was up to when i am out!!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Pixel is left for 5 hours at the most and then is with my hubby before being left again for an hour and a half until I get home. Once in exceptional circumstances we was left for six and a half but she won't be left alone that long again.

Are you talking about being left alone full stop or being left alone, then being let out and then left alone again?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pixel is left for 5 hours at the most and then is with my hubby before being left again for an hour and a half until I get home. Once in exceptional circumstances we was left for six and a half but she won't be left alone that long again.

Are you talking about being left alone full stop or being left alone, then being let out and then left alone again?
i was just interested in how long in one block of time people are happy to leave their dogs.

i always think that i struggle to go much longer than 4 hours without going to the loo so i don't like to expect Betty to go longer!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Jess is left most days 5/6 hours. She is in the utility room, with the 4 cats and still fits through the cat flap, so can roam the very secure garden at will.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I think that when they are young I am not happy to leave them too long, but I used to leave my last dog for longer once he was about 7 or 8 years old. I rarely leave Dylan longer than 2 hours, but when we are on holiday my daughter works full time so I arrange a dog walker to take him out mid-way through her shift. It still means a lot of time on his own, but its only for a week. If I had to work and leave him regularly, I would arrange doggie day care.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
As Daisy came to us with 'seperation anxiety' I do not leave her for more than an hour at the moment. Because she chews when anxious and we don't crate during the day I would worry about what we would come home to. For the first time today though she didn't hear me come in and she was just laid the other side of the hall door! I plan on increasing the time, but she is still young and I will do it gradually! :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that when they are young I am not happy to leave them too long, but I used to leave my last dog for longer once he was about 7 or 8 years old. I rarely leave Dylan longer than 2 hours, but when we are on holiday my daughter works full time so I arrange a dog walker to take him out mid-way through her shift. It still means a lot of time on his own, but its only for a week. If I had to work and leave him regularly, I would arrange doggie day care.
i have a dog walker who either just walks Betty in the middle of the day or has her for the day, depending on what work i have on. i am lucky as i can work from home some days but on the flip side i am often 60 miles or do from home with work and have the M1, M25 and M4 to deal with to get home and they can make your journey a lot longer than expected!!!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Until last week, Izzy had not been left for more than around 3 hours, but I have had to work in the cafe and 1 day I left her for about 5 hours, came back and took her to the beach, then left again for about 3 hours. She isn't on her own though, she has Phoebe and I don't crate in the day now.
I have only left her for shorter periods on her own completely, about 2 hours, when Phoebe was at the vets.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
It's certainly a bugger having to work. Betty is out with the dog sitter for the
middle three hours of the day ( she get's to go on walk's and accompanies her
doing cat feeding etc.. ( 11ish to 2 ish..) so she by herself three hours in the morning and about four in the afternoon ... not ideal. We still come home to afternoon puddles, she just can't hold it for that extra hour yet. She seems OK with it tho - Guess she has known no different , but I do feel a bit guilty tho.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
At the moment we've rearranged our working schaedules so Vincent isn't alone for a long time.
But the longest has been 4 hours and he was ok. We're hoping that eventually we can leave him for 6.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think I've got the opposite problem really. Since I work from home and husband's retired we're around too much! Both Rupert and Alfie howl like crazy when left. Even just going for a bath there's a male voice choir going on in the kitchen. :eek: We must make a determined effort to start going out for short periods more often...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts