I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, knew nothing about barf diets until I came on here, interested in how much it costs a week to feed as opposed to other types of food.
thanks

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hi there, knew nothing about barf diets until I came on here, interested in how much it costs a week to feed as opposed to other types of food.
thanks
Natural Instinct is £2.70 for 1kg which lasts Flo, who is 11kg, 5 days so that's 54p per day. She has a couple of bones a week as well which about 20p each.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
wow thats really cheap , thought it was going to be really expensive, am impressed
I was as well when I worked it out as it's cheaper than the Origen kibble I was using. I now use Origen kibble for treats which is much cheaper than buyer little bags of commercial dog treats.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you put Flo on it as soon as you got her, we get our pup at the end of July and then have 5 days camping at end of Aug which he is coming to, so am concerned that the frozen meat is not going to be any good as not got a freezer
in the caravan. Maybe I should wait to put him on it when we come back. How do you know how much to feed a day, sorry have lots of questions

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
If you try that and then fancy making your own its probably cheaper ... mince chicken carcusses from butcher £3 for 5kg... then the price of veg etc ... Ive got a freezer full, Ive portioned it up but did nt even count. Obviously you can make smaller amounts!! I got 70 whole carcusses for £8 and the butcher does nt charge for bones ... I think you need to get your head round the idea, then if it suites go for it x

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
If you check the Natural Instincts web site it says how much to feed, its proportionate to body weight, and a higher % for pups than adult dogs. Not sure about your camping... it needs some thought, but fed Wilf barf from a pup ( but then swapped to kibble) and have given them both chicken wings from 8 weeks x

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
reading more about barf and its really appealing may have to start it when camping done

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
did you put Flo on it as soon as you got her, we get our pup at the end of July and then have 5 days camping at end of Aug which he is coming to, so am concerned that the frozen meat is not going to be any good as not got a freezer
in the caravan. Maybe I should wait to put him on it when we come back. How do you know how much to feed a day, sorry have lots of questions
When I first got Flo used the food the breeder gave me for a week - stress of moving can upset their tummies so a sudden food switch wouldn't help - then gradually switched her from breeders food to James Wellbeloved. At the time thought that was a premium food but subsequently found out about non carb/rice/grain Origen. Switched Flo to Origen a few months ago then decided to move to NI. If you are camping for 5 days then a pack of Ni would be OK as long as you have a fridge for 5 days. You could go for a premium food like Origen to start then switch to NI after you holiday - you could then keep any Origen for treats. Quantities for NI are on their website http://www.naturalinstinct.com/pages/Feeding-Guidelines.html

If I got another puppy I would put it straight onto NI about a week after bringing home once it had settled.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
i know raw feeders who camp, they just use a kibbel when camping

at the moment i am probably under £10 a week for my 4 i get a 5kg back for meat for£3.50 chicken wings are about £1.20 per pack of 12 or 16(can never remember how many for its like out of 1 pack my girls get 3 or 4 wings each)

but I'm starting to ad veggies in as well so that will probably go up a little soon, in the same as wilfyboy(Karen) i bag line up into individual portions 300g per dog although puppies are a little more.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I've been taking some photos of the JD BARF diet (as there are several slight variations on the theme - but it is what I do - so I only feel it safe to refer to it a JD BARF - to openly allow others to add their views) and once I have a full step by step set-up I'll post it ...........though you will note that I'm doing it for 23 dogs !!.............so if you want to give it a go - take a peek and make a 23rd of it !

Stephen x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
I've been taking some photos of the JD BARF diet (as there are several slight variations on the theme - but it is what I do - so I only feel it safe to refer to it a JD BARF - to openly allow others to add their views) and once I have a full step by step set-up I'll post it ...........though you will note that I'm doing it for 23 dogs !!.............so if you want to give it a go - take a peek and make a 23rd of it !

Stephen x
i will be very interested to see this, although i have been feeding raw for over 4 years i have only in the last year and a half started making my own as before i used a company who prepacked, but the quality of the meat sliped and the deliverys became unreliable meaning we were without meat for a week sometimes two waiting on the next deliver, even our local rep for the company was getting sick of it.

so im still finding my feet making up my own adding extras one week then nother for weeks then adding something different.

so cant waight for the photos

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that would be great JD! I am definately converted to a barf diet but think I will do as suggested and use origen until we come back of the camping and then move onto natural instinct. Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated

1 - 13 of 13 Posts