I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just cooked up some liver for Max. It is cut into tiny pieces but I am now wondering how to store it? Should I put it in a tub in the fridge or the freezer? Will it go soggy? How long will it keep? If I take some out for training, how long will it be fresh for? :eek::confused:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have just cooked up some liver for Max. It is cut into tiny pieces but I am now wondering how to store it? Should I put it in a tub in the fridge or the freezer? Will it go soggy? How long will it keep? If I take some out for training, how long will it be fresh for? :eek::confused:

Thanks in advance!
I thought it would go soggy too, but it doesn't . Stored mine either in a tub or freezer bags in the fridge. Hope Max likes:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have frozen ours in small strips, can break frozen strips up and defrosts in minutes, prob can give straight from frozen if bits are small enough. Lucky Max.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can I ask, Is any type of liver ok for a puppy? I've been giving her pigs liver today and seems to be really helping with toilet training.

Thanks

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
the liver cake my mum makes last forever in the freezer. in the fridge it last a couple of days, if left out in a bag 24 hour before it starts to smell off, but if left to dry out it will bust become crunchy and last longer.

·
Registered
685 Posts
We was always told lambs liver but cannot remember where we got that info from! Our dogs have always been fine with that and absolutely love the Liver Chip Cake on Jo, Jo blog.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi,
I just bought some dried liver (double yuk!!) from NI today. It's frozen in bits that are about 2" x 1". The lady in there said keep it in the freezer and break bits off as you need it. She said it will keep fresher cos they don't add preservatives. I guess the same would apply to yours?
I admire you drying it yourself- I'm a really squeamish, fussy meat eater (not quite a veggie!!) and liver makes me want to vom!!
Kipper however, LOVED it!! She's already learnt to sit and now we're working on Lie down!
Hope this helps
Pip x

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
I seal up batches in bags and freeze them and keep some in a sealable bag in the fridge for immediate use. Obi loves liver.

Clare
x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I use lambs liver. No pig products seem to be used for dogs (except pigs ears!). Not exactly sure why although I think there is a parasite risk in raw pork, so pork bones etc are not recommended, but I would think that cooked pigs liver is ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts