I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you tell the difference. Whatever I'm feeding Betty at the time,whether raw or kibble Betty will clear her bowl in three seconds flat then spends the next 5 mins pushing the bowl around the floor as if looking for more. I always stick to the recommended guidelines but am sometimes worried she is permanently hungry. She seems about the right build and certainly the vet has not commented either way on her weight so guess it's ok??

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I think this is a really positive thing Colin, as we all know cockapoos can be fussy eaters, so Betty is enjoying her food and she is a good size :) :)

Is she on her holiday yet? Are you missing her? Shall I send Honey around? xxx

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Betty looks fine weight wise to me. :)

Both of mine would eat more if you put it down and they both lick each others bowls out after a meal.

You could try and give her a wee bit more to see if it does stop this? bit of trial and error. Or because she is eating quickly slow down her eating pace by feeding her food in one of those slow feeders?

Or maybe give her something less fattening like some carrot after just to see if it takes the edge off if you suspect she is still hungry.

The amounts given are just guidelines - so don't feel you have to stick rigidly to them, if you are concerned she may still be hungry.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think this is a really positive thing Colin, as we all know cockapoos can be fussy eaters, so Betty is enjoying her food and she is a good size :) :)

Is she on her holiday yet? Are you missing her? Shall I send Honey around? xxx
Yes, it's one problem I don't have with Betty:)

Holiday starts next weekend...so making the most of her over Easter ( 10 mile walks every day) I know she is going to be in the very best of hands and will have another lovely poo to play with every day so I'm sure I'm going to miss her more than she is going to miss me:)

Yes, don't leave Honey unattended for too long:D:D

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Betty looks fine weight wise to me. :)

Both of mine would eat more if you put it down and they both lick each others bowls out after a meal.

You could try and give her a wee bit more to see if it does stop this? bit of trial and error. Or because she is eating quickly slow down her eating pace by feeding her food in one of those slow feeders?

Or maybe give her something less fattening like some carrot after just to see if it takes the edge off if you suspect she is still hungry.

The amounts given are just guidelines - so don't feel you have to stick rigidly to them, if you are concerned she may still be hungry.
Good tips Shirley, I will give them a try! I think she is probably just like me...carries on wanting to eat even if she is full:D

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Yes, it's one problem I don't have with Betty:)

Holiday starts next weekend...so making the most of her over Easter ( 10 mile walks every day) I know she is going to be in the very best of hands and will have another lovely poo to play with every day so I'm sure I'm going to miss her more than she is going to miss me:)

Yes, don't leave Honey unattended for too long:D:D
Ha ha ha .. hooray Betty is a good eater .. I feel your relief in sharing that .. well we all know Betty likes to cause her daddy so much worry ...

She will have a fab time for sure, you may need to find some mini projects around the house, keep yourself busy :)

Honey is never out of my sight ... just in case you come to get her ha ha ha .. she would jump all over you and kiss you far too much .. Hello Colin have some Honey Love .. oh that’s my gal.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I have to feed Dexter double the amount of recommended NI to stop him being very skinny and bony. Bonnie gets the normal amount although you would thing I starve her the way she will chase her bowl round the room after her meal- she will eat anything at anytime if allowed to!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Mable has always wolfed it down from day one and is very food orientated and will cry in a morning and evening reminding you that she needs feeding, Wilfs tea time has come forward about 1 1/2 hours since we got Mable and breakfast is now first thing in the morning and not after a walk. I feed them the same and Wilf is chunky but Mable is scrawny, I still supervise food time as Mable at one time would eat hers then nose Wilf out of the way and he would let her. I spread hers over a dinner plate to slow her down and quite honestly I think she is hungry at mealtimes but also greedy, she ate til she was sick at my mother in laws when my husband did nt realise she has access to their sack of dog food, she nosed open the lid of our food recycling waste caddie once and ate as much as she could reach. So hungry or greedy a little bit of both in mables case x

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Biscuit clears his food in record time too. Some people say they will stop when they've had enough but I'm not sure I believe that so am not going to put that to the test! I think as long as they are not losing weight and feel of a healthy size, then you are feeding enough. They do say spaniels have a tendency to over-eat if allowed and are very food motivated.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Oh how I wish I had this problem. I have the complete opposite :eek:

We've been in Christchurch for the weekend and my neighbour there has been feeding Millie all sorts of tit bits and saving a portion of their evening meal :confused::( I know they love Millie to bits, but its making my meal times a nightmare. She's barely eaten her NI all weekend. I've had to be really strict with her and not visit next door on Sunday or today and no extras from me. She still turned her nose up at her NI. But back home she's finally eaten a small bowl of NI :)

Note to self, I must be more disciplined :) :eek:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Re greedy

How do you tell the difference. Whatever I'm feeding Betty at the time,whether raw or kibble Betty will clear her bowl in three seconds flat then spends the next 5 mins pushing the bowl around the floor as if looking for more. I always stick to the recommended guidelines but am sometimes worried she is permanently hungry. She seems about the right build and certainly the vet has not commented either way on her weight so guess it's ok??
Pushca is the same. She is on hind legs as soon as I go to the fridge and I'm sure she can't taste anything as it is then gulped down. I actually have over fed her a few times and she was a little sick so think she isn't starving but is still worrying when I read other peoples dog's are fussy eaters.
She has NI twice a day and the odd chicken wing and alternated fish various days

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oh, over fed her by mistake btw in case anyone thinks I'm cruel lol ... Large tin of kippers was one and too much NI ( actually my friend fed her ) think she gave her half the tub by mistake

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.