I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today,we pick up our beautiful 'poo puppy. I couldn't be more pleased but,I'm a little nervous as to how Dexter will react. Can anyone give my any tips on how to introduce the two of them? We will be travelling a few hours in the car to pick him up and the first stop we will make will be to my parents house to give us all a break and visit at the same time! I was thinking that their garden might be a good place for Dexter and the new pup to get acquainted.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Have a great day Gemma! Are you taking Dexter with you to the breeders? You could always ask if the breeder has somewhere quiet you can introduce them there? Otherwise Dexter may be super duper excited by the time you get to your parents house with puppy in the car all the way too. If not then your parents house will be fine.
Enjoy :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a great day Gemma! Are you taking Dexter with you to the breeders? You could always ask if the breeder has somewhere quiet you can introduce them there? Otherwise Dexter may be super duper excited by the time you get to your parents house with puppy in the car all the way too. If not then your parents house will be fine.
Enjoy :)
We are taking Dexter with us,he comes almost everywhere with us,whenever it's practical! I'll ask the breeder about that when we get there. Thanks :)

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
My breeder suggested we bring our Dexter to her for him to meet Bonnie. It was love at first sight for the two of them.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I took Hattie to meet Minton at Pat's (breeder of both dogs) then let them in my garden before they went into the house. Hattie spent the first two days runing away from Minton and taking refuge on the back of the armchair! Now they play all day lots of squeeking and yelping both taking turns to be 'top dog!'.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I didn't do any of the introducing slowly stuff...just let them get on with it and had no problems....even on the five hour journey home from York!

·
Registered
569 Posts
How exciting - hope it went well

Sent from my iPhone
Lisa - mum of 3 boys, Dexter Cockapoo & 4 hens !

Reactions: Dextersmum

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi guys,
the first night wasn't too good. He cried and howled as soon as he went in his crate,would stop crying for a few minutes before starting up again,at the top of his lungs. Can anyone give me any tips to help get him used to sleeping in the crate? Today I am going to put Darwin in his crate for a few minutes,several times during the day to help him get used to it. Do I just leave him to cry during the night and hope he settles?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought that but my partner thought he'd keep Dexter awake too! Dexter sleeps in his own crate. Do you think it's a good idea to put Darwin's crate next to Dexter's?

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I think it would be a good idea. You could put the crates side by side so that they can sniff and have contact but being in their own crates they are nice nd safe, put a big blanket over both crates to make it a nice cosy doggy den. He may well still cry a bit as he would probably prefer to be in the same crate but he should settle quicker. From there I would just ignore him. A few days and he should settle down.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks both! I will take your advice tonight and see if Darwin settles a bit better. Of course,Darwin is very tired and sleepy today because he didn't get much sleep last night!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You can also put a worn T-shirt in his crate, that way he can smell you too.

Darwin will be tired, they do need around 19hrs sleep in 24hrs, so do let him sleep otherwise he'll get bitey through tiredness.

:D

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Great to hear Darwin is home! I'm interested to see how you get on tonight. I'm planning to put the two crates side by side. Would you put just one blanket over both crates, so they can still see each other?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts