I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I set off to take Izzie for a nice walk the same way we always take her, & right at the start just going down a hill I saw this dog walking quite fast in our direction. At first I thought oh that's nice, a dog for Izzie to play with! Except I couldn't see an owner anywhere :S So I started to panick, I picked Izzie up (she'd seen the dog by this point) & carried here through this opening next to us in to a field (a shorted walk we sometimes do). But she was wriggling around to be put down, the other dog had seen Izzie & cut through another opening further away & stood watching! I was really scared because I didn't know if it would be vicious & it was about 3 times the size of my little Izzie if not more! Izzie wriggled out of my arms & the dog started running over, I was so scared! Luckily it didn't seem to be vicious & it let Izzie sniff him, but my heart was racing & I just wanted it to leave us alone & go away! (It had that red eye thing that sausage dogs have - if you know what I mean, so I was more scared from that) but he was about the size of a labradoodle just not as pretty. Anyway he finally walked in the opposite direction to us & I was like 'thank god!'

I didn't check his collar he was wearing because I was in too much of a panic, & I don't know if he returned to an owner (but I did think that from a distance a few minutes later that I saw a head above the trees, so maybe he did have an owner).

But I just thought that if the owner was around anywhere that it was very irresponsible letting the dog run off towards another dog when they weren't around! My dog could even have been vicious & caused the other dog problems, some owners really are just so irresponsible! I wouldn't have minded if there was an owner there to tell me that they were okay to play, but there wasn't so I had to assume the worst just incase!

Vent over, sorry it's long!
Any thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think you were just lucky the dog was ok. I, too, would have had a panic attack as I'm very nervous of dogs without owners (and some with!). I think you did very well and hopefully, the reason the owner (if present) let the dog so far away was because he/she knew the dog would not pose a problem for anyone. Still, I wouldn't have wanted to be in this situation either x

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Laney :) The main problem I had was that it could have gotten Izzie in my arms if it had wanted to! It was really big & i'm only small & there was no one around :( I just don't understand why I couldn't see an owners in sight at all :S It was the way it watched & then ran over & stuff, i'm guna be nervous next time I take he now! She only had a half hour walk because of it, so i'm taking her again with my boyfriend later for a long one :) He'll protect us ;) x

·
Registered
182 Posts
There are places locally that I take Rocky to walk on my own, and other places I will only go with OH. I feel a big wimp for it, but that's how it is. Anyway, he needs some fresh air after being cooped up in office all day!! :D (OH, that is, not Rocky...he is not THAT clever (Rocky, that is, not OH)) :devil: x

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know just how you feel. I had a similar thing happen last saturday when I was out walking Coco. I had a pushchair and daugter with me and a dog with no owner came towards us my heart started doing over time. I just kept walking very quickly. The dog didn't get close enough to Coco so I don't know what would of happened. i couldn't pick him up because of the pushchair. Takes awhile to get over it.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh right, it's a good job it didn't get close if you had a pushchair as well! Anyway picking her up didn't help, she just wiggled out so she could play haha, but yeah shook me up quite a bit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
oh dear poor you! hope your ok now. my advice to you is to make Izzie sit and look at you, you are her pack leader so you need to be calm and strong, if another dog comes over stand tall and breath slowly and dont show that you are scared. after that the other dog should walk away. ive seen off rotties, german shepherds and tiny little nasty things too! then you can have a panic and fuss Izzie lol ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.