I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a walk I had this morning!

We had strolled through the fields, avoided the fox poo (just) and were walking along a path way which has a stream on one side and a residential road on the other with grass in the middle. Daisy often thinks we are going up one of the path ways that lead into the road but always comes when I call her and carries on up the path with me. Today however, she found a whole in a fence just big enough to squeeze through and by the time I realised what she was doing she was passed the point of return and in a cul de sac :eek:

I called her back through the hole but she wouldn't come back through, I tried to climb the fence but it was too wobbly! :eek: Luckily I was with a friend and her Springer so she waited whilst I ran (yes ran :eek:) with the double pushchair all the way round to get to her from the other side. When I got there, she had gone and so had my friend! I then ran back round thinking she must have squeezed back through and thankfully she had! She had got so upset when I disappeared she decided she could fit through the hole again after all! :rolleyes:

I was scared because although it is a housing estate it is still a road and having never been in that kind of situation before I had no idea whether she would just wander off or not!

All was well except for my knee! I stopped running back in the Spring because of a dodgy knee and this morning's little jog just confirmed that my running days are well and truly over :(.

I am now recovered, kids and Daisy are napping, I have a nice cup of tea! :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh my gosh, this is my worst nightmare. We are not even at the 'on a lead out for walks' stage yet let alone being let off a lead but already I am thinking about it and how I am going to be able to let him off the lead for a good run. :(
Glad all was ok

·
Registered
853 Posts
Oh my gosh, this is my worst nightmare. We are not even at the 'on a lead out for walks' stage yet let alone being let off a lead but already I am thinking about it and how I am going to be able to let him off the lead for a good run. :(
Glad all was ok
Oh please don't worry like that! From what you said in your other post, he follows you around very closely. In my opinion, I would say the sooner you let him off the lead the better. When they are so young, they are normally quite weary and want to stay close to mum. That's what i found in my experience with Nacho.

Start with recall training if you can now. Even if it's in the garden calling him back inside etc. Then hopefully when you are out and about he will know what to do. There's bound to be little blips but i am sure you will master it in no time.

Try off lead walks somewhere away from roads and in open spaces at first.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh please don't worry like that! From what you said in your other post, he follows you around very closely. In my opinion, I would say the sooner you let him off the lead the better. When they are so young, they are normally quite weary and want to stay close to mum. That's what i found in my experience with Nacho.

Start with recall training if you can now. Even if it's in the garden calling him back inside etc. Then hopefully when you are out and about he will know what to do. There's bound to be little blips but i am sure you will master it in no time.

Try off lead walks somewhere away from roads and in open spaces at first.
We do recall training now (without even knowingly doing it to start with) and he does come running, so fingers crossed he will be ok or at least have a clue what he is meant to be doing. He is a pretty fast learner I have come to learn over the past week and a bit so I'm hopeful:) (Loving the Name Nacho)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not sure, I gave up running but never got round to seeing anyone about it. I have always had bad knees, it is Osteoarthritis, it runs in our family. I probably shouldn't have run anyway but I enjoyed it so much. I think I need to see someone though as I am in pain tonight! :(

What was wrong with your knee?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Poor you, it is an awful feeling when you lose them, it has happened to me se real times - usually chasing a pheasant. I hope this doesn't happen to you, but I always then have nightmares about losing her!

I have a dodgy knee and had to give up jogging in favour of a cross train, which is non impact. Sometimes now I get trouble if I have walked down a hill too quickly. I found some exercises on the net that helped: walking backwards, squeezing a ball between your knees, can't remember the other one. Take some ibuprofen, hope you are better in the morning.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Poor you, it is an awful feeling when you lose them, it has happened to me se real times - usually chasing a pheasant. I hope this doesn't happen to you, but I always then have nightmares about losing her!

I have a dodgy knee and had to give up jogging in favour of a cross train, which is non impact. Sometimes now I get trouble if I have walked down a hill too quickly. I found some exercises on the net that helped: walking backwards, squeezing a ball between your knees, can't remember the other one. Take some ibuprofen, hope you are better in the morning.
Thank you! Funnily enough running downhills is what started the real problem. I could put up with niggly knees but the hills finished me off! Oh well, I love dog walking now but would like to somthing that kept me a bit trimmer! :)

I had got quite laid back about her off lead. Her recall isn't perfect but she always comes in the end especially if I start walking away from her! I might just get my long line out again for a few walks but I have a feeling she wont do that again! :)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Glad Daisy is ok, hope you will be too Sarah. I have had a dodgy knee from walking downhill too, currently have a dodgy ankle, think it's ligaments and I should rest it, but keep doing long distance walks!
Izzy lost me yesterday, she followed Phoebe under a gap in a fence, ran along to reach me but couldn't get through, she was crying like mad, she never goes far from me yet.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad Daisy is ok, hope you will be too Sarah. I have had a dodgy knee from walking downhill too, currently have a dodgy ankle, think it's ligaments and I should rest it, but keep doing long distance walks!
Izzy lost me yesterday, she followed Phoebe under a gap in a fence, ran along to reach me but couldn't get through, she was crying like mad, she never goes far from me yet.
Oh bless her! With hindsight I should have just walked off and carried along the path but I didn't know what to do for the best. I was lucky I had someone with me! :)

Hope your ankle is ok....:) I seem to have lots of dodgy joints, quite bad seeing as I am not even 40 yet (although not far off!), god knows what I will be like when I am an old lady! :confused: Maybe I need to start taking my cod liver oil and glucosamine! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.