I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

I love my baby

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Biscuit 
#1 ·
Hello, my name's Lacey and I have a 10 year old Cockapoo named Lightning (but we call her Puppy, she was smaller than my mother's Cockapoo, Thunder, so calling her the name Puppy just stuck.) I'm planning on getting her fixed, little late but better than never, mostly because it has been causing her pain this time. My mother wanted to breed her so that's why she wasn't fixed, but when I moved out I took her with me. I asked a question on Yahoo about her, if it would be safer for her not to get fixed in case something would happen during surgery due to her age. Not eve 30 mins later I recieved piles of hate answers, comments and messages about breeding a mutt instead of adopting. This made me terribly sad, we had adopted her as she would have been killed if we didn't. I don't consider Puppy a mutt, she is my best friend and we've been through hell together. And now, as she is getting older I want her to have the best life possible. So glad we found this website and hopefully some friends. :)

#2 ·
Hi Lacy,
We've all come across these so called 'experts' and I think it's best to stay away from public forums like yahoo, there are too many idiots who say things they'd never dream of saying to your face.

So welcome to the forum - we'd love to see pictures of your puppy.

#3 ·
Welcome to you and your 10 year old puppy :)

If she ws mine I would get her fixed. The risk of pyometra is too high and I would have thought much worse than any complication for surgery on an otherwise fit 10 year old dog.
good luck in your decision making and do keep posting.

#4 ·
Hi, Lacey,
Welcome to you and Puppy! I am only a fairly new Cockapoo owner and my Honey is now about 18 weeks old and just the most fun, cuddly bundle of fluff you have ever seen! I hope she grows up to be 10 years old and loved just like your Puppy! I am still learning basics!

Jan & Honey

#6 ·
Sounds like you have a very special friend and baby in Puppy. I would take your vets advice on getting her spayed, if they think she is fine for the op I would imagine it will mean her retirement years will be that bit more comfortable, but there are always risks. We have just taken on a rescue dog that is at least 10 years old in poor health but the rescue centre spay dogs as routine and will not rehome unless spayed, she took the spay in her stride. Good luck with your decision, and really would be great to see a photo of Puppy.

#7 ·
I've never had a dog spayed before so I am very nervous especially keeping her over night. But after reading some stories on here I feel more confident ad safe knowing she'll be OK and it is for the best. If anyone has any tips or things that thought helped after a surgery like this please share.

Attachments

#8 ·
She is so sweet. Quite a few people on here have used babygrows instead of the collar to stop the dogs chewing at the wound. Would you have the keyhole spay or the normal? We travelled and paid extra for Savannah to have the keyhole but she still had minor complications so ended up on lead walks for three weeks. Over here the vets don't tend to keep them in over night. Do you have a vet that you like and trust, thats a big help.

#9 ·
Hi, glad you found this web site as the folk who post on here seem much more friendly and less judgemental than some of those who you have recently experienced. My puppy is only 5 months but she will be spayed when she is old enough. I am a bit nervous about her having an operation as I dread to think of anything happening to her. I fel the same way about my hubby's impending op:eek: - but it is natural to worry about how family members. Hope all goes well for you and your puppy :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.