I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little Dexter seems to be having a hard time getting his tummy settled. At the weekend he's been on pro-kolin & bland diet & everything hardened up. According to husband (as he does early ams with dog) the morning poos are lovely & hard. But he's just pooed in crate (again !!!:() and it was all soft.

Is it normal for puppy poo to do this ?

He is otherwise fit & well. Happy, naughty, into everything - so I don't feel I should have cause for concern over his health.

Its just I feel that this occassional softness is what is holding up his cleanliness. He's able to hold it at night & does 'normal' ones then. It seems to be when soft that we get then in the house or crate.

I have started to slowly move him from JWB food to Barking Heads yesterday so am hoping that may help. Is there anything else I can do - I've read on here about probiotic yoghurt or all-bran. Will that firm him up ?

(Sorry to always be here asking about such a delicate subject - I'm a bit more worried than usual as I'm away on thursday night for my Birthday & mum is moving in here to look after kids & dog - I'm worried she'll find it tough as she has never had a dog either !!)

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
He is young so toilet training may have a way to go. But it does seem that the soft poos are the ones catching him out.

You could trying introducing a raw chicken wing. Bash it up first and hold one end. The idea is that they eat the soft raw bone too. That will help with firming up the poos.

Have you considered giving Natural Instinct, raw food. A lot of us do it and and keep them poos firm and small as their body takes all the nutrients out and there is very little waste.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm not sure about the raw thing but only because I know nothing about it. Can you mix & match ? ie 1 meal raw & other 2 kibble ?

I didn't think they were allowed chicken bones ? Will he not choke ??

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just realised that post sounded so much like I did when I had to introduce lumps in baby food lol :D

Seriously - is it ok ?

PS off to google Natural Instinct. I have seem people mention it before but it didn't click in my brain that it was raw - thought it was a different type of kibble !!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi Lisa

I have a similar obsession. Forever wondering about the frequency and consistency of "poo".....very much like the baby days. Gisgo has been on Barking heads alone for a week now, and he has fewer poos for certain, but I think they are still very soft (Mr Whippy type soft....not sure if that is too soft or actually if it is okay). I was expecting poo to be firm enough to hold its shape, bit more like a sausage than a pancake! I have a friend who is telling me to give him scrambled eggs once a week as she has always done that. I have probiotic yoghurt om my shopping list and am considering all bran. I really thought long and hard about feeding raw......but just not sure about the pup eating raw chicken and then dribbling and licking everyone.......so I need to try other alternatives first.

Let me know what you try and how you get on...and I will do likewise.

And if anyone can bring themselves to comment on how runny a "runny poo" is and/or what a "normal" poo would be like, then I'd be grateful....as perhaps Gisgo's poos are perfectly normal and it is me who is wrong! :eek:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Buddy was the same on kibble some firm poo's but lots of runny ones I too was unsure about raw mainly because i have children however i change him when he was 3-4 mths and it was amazing,his poo's have been firm ever since.
It comes in an ice-cream tub container frozen you defrost and use the amount you want for the weight of your dog (you can re-freeze if still partly frozen)

Its really simple just the same as feeding wet food (apart from it dosnt smell )

Its then toke me a good 4 mths until i introduced chicken wings (again i couldnt get my head round the hygienie side of it) but i now give Buddy a chicken in the garden and to be honest he pops it in his mouth and chomps away so he dosnt really play with it or hold it in his paws as i thought he would .(so no un hygienic foot prints around the house)

Can't comment on any other dog foods as this is all ive feed Buddy though i know some people get on well with the dryed type.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Hi Lisa

I have a similar obsession. Forever wondering about the frequency and consistency of "poo".....very much like the baby days. Gisgo has been on Barking heads alone for a week now, and he has fewer poos for certain, but I think they are still very soft (Mr Whippy type soft....not sure if that is too soft or actually if it is okay). I was expecting poo to be firm enough to hold its shape, bit more like a sausage than a pancake! I have a friend who is telling me to give him scrambled eggs once a week as she has always done that. I have probiotic yoghurt om my shopping list and am considering all bran. I really thought long and hard about feeding raw......but just not sure about the pup eating raw chicken and then dribbling and licking everyone.......so I need to try other alternatives first.

And if anyone can bring themselves to comment on how runny a "runny poo" is and/or what a "normal" poo would be like, then I'd be grateful....as perhaps Gisgo's poos are perfectly normal and it is me who is wrong! :eek:
It sounds a bit loose to me if every poo was like this ,he should in theroy have a firm poo in the morning as the food has been in his system over night (Buddy's was like that but then throughout the day got looser and looser)
Sorry guys for being so graphic ! also Buddy had really bad flactulance which was so awful it was embarrassing.
Scrambled egg is fine and boiled chicken and rice.
Bud's been raw feed since 3-4 mths and my children are always playing with him i think so long as you teach them good hygiene with the dog (wash hands ,use antibacteria gel etc) then you will be fine.
Buddy's never dribbled food (it all gets eaten so quickly) And i wash his bowl as soon as he's finished .
Hope this helps dx

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Lisa

Here's a thought. I belong to a chicken forum too and on there is a post of pictures of 'normal' poo and 'poo to be worried about' - I know its not very nice but it would be so helpful to us first time dog owners whose only brush with poo so far has been what was stuck on my shoes as a child out to play lol !!!:rolleyes:

Reactions: francesjl

·
Registered
368 Posts
Here's a thought. I belong to a chicken forum too and on there is a post of pictures of 'normal' poo and 'poo to be worried about' - I know its not very nice but it would be so helpful to us first time dog owners whose only brush with poo so far has been what was stuck on my shoes as a child out to play lol !!!:rolleyes:
Lisa

I think you are probably on the same chicken forum as me......and I did spend a lot of time comparing our chicken poo to those pictures on the forum...... at least chickens only ever do it outside (although we did have a girl who used to like coming in the kitchen given half a chance with the inevitable consequences :eek:)

So yes - if anyone is feeling brave enough.....it would be a great help to us novices!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Have you tried him on a pate type food with high meat content? Worked for Hattie. Who knows what intolerances pups have. Also have you told vet you have chickens in the same area albeit seperated? My gut feeling(sorry no pun intended!) is Dexter's tum is very sensetive and maybe cannot digest all the contents of kibble feed. Bit like humans taking on high fiber diet too much all bran not good! Research says sometimes the five a day is too much for some people!

·
Registered
607 Posts
LOL ! POO pictures sound hilarious - altho would be a help for many new puppy owners ! My 2 eat kibble and cesar , Rascal is quite picky but Scamp is a dustbin and will eat anything. I do remember more frequent squidgy poos when they were pups tho.
Now if either has a problem I find yoghurt helps and as they're spoilt they like flavoured ones .:D
Scamp actually now waits for anyone who is eating a yoghurt as I've let him lick the pot.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.