I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to this group. I'm trying to get some advice (not sure if anyone can help) our dog is a beautiful cockapoo. So well behaved but my other half doesn't like her, despite him wanting a dog and for that dog to be a cockapoo. I've never owned a dog before but I relented.

Now 2 years down the line, he doesn't walk her (I'm at work and he's at home) constantly shouts at her and I know that during the day, she's either in her crate or on her bed. Zero stimulation but despite this, she is still a lovely dog.

I want to keep her and if I had to choose, I'd choose the dog over him but if he does go, I'd have to give her up anyway as I'm at work all day and it's not fair on her. I can't afford a dog walker either. If I do re-home her to a home where she is appreciated, then I know that will look bad on me more than him as I have allowed it 馃槥

I doubt anyone has been in this situation. I suppose it just feels good to vent.

Registered
Coco cockapoo 18 weeks
Hello. I'm new to this group. I'm trying to get some advice (not sure if anyone can help) our dog is a beautiful cockapoo. So well behaved but my other half doesn't like her, despite him wanting a dog and for that dog to be a cockapoo. I've never owned a dog before but I relented.

Now 2 years down the line, he doesn't walk her (I'm at work and he's at home) constantly shouts at her and I know that during the day, she's either in her crate or on her bed. Zero stimulation but despite this, she is still a lovely dog.

I want to keep her and if I had to choose, I'd choose the dog over him but if he does go, I'd have to give her up anyway as I'm at work all day and it's not fair on her. I can't afford a dog walker either. If I do re-home her to a home where she is appreciated, then I know that will look bad on me more than him as I have allowed it 馃槥

I doubt anyone has been in this situation. I suppose it just feels good to vent.
Awe what a shame for Waffle poor dog and u x is there no one that could take her a walk n have some interaction with her while your at work

Registered
It鈥檚 certainly a difficult situation to be in and it鈥檚 lovely that you are thinking about your pups best interests. It might surprise you the number of people that would be happy to walk your dog alongside theirs.
just wondering if your other half might be struggling a bit themselves. It sounds like he wanted the dog, but something is getting in the way of him getting the most out of her companionship. If you were local to us I鈥檇 gladly walk her a couple of days a week. It would be worth asking around any other dog owners you know- they might be happy to walk your dog, possibly in return for you walking theirs another time.

Registered
Agreed! I love dogs and not sure where you are based of course, but always tell people that I am happy to have their pup over!

Have you considered getting some help from a dog trainer (sounds weird, but not for the pup, but for your boyfriend). Sounds like he never bonded with her. Do you know why? Maybe making good memories together and working together helps?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It鈥檚 certainly a difficult situation to be in and it鈥檚 lovely that you are thinking about your pups best interests. It might surprise you the number of people that would be happy to walk your dog alongside theirs.
just wondering if your other half might be struggling a bit themselves. It sounds like he wanted the dog, but something is getting in the way of him getting the most out of her companionship. If you were local to us I鈥檇 gladly walk her a couple of days a week. It would be worth asking around any other dog owners you know- they might be happy to walk your dog, possibly in return for you walking theirs another time.

Registered
Coco cockapoo 18 weeks
He said he will try harder. Even took her for a walk today. He told me it's not the dog it's him, which I knew.

I laid the law down so let's see x
Awe poor soul maybe not too good in himself x what's better therapy than bein in the great outdoors with your fave four legged friends 馃悤 really hope he tries everyone has to muck in too good luck

Registered
Shiloh (late-11.2020): Little Lucy Lou, toy poodle

IMO, every single day, life presents us with choices, many of which are life altering. Your other half may be taking some of his personal frustrations out on y'all's dog. Perhaps, if he is willing, pursuing his own demons, dispatching them, will resolve your issue to everybody's happy conclusion. I am sad for your dog.

Registered
Hello Marie, as you are in the UK I wondered if you have heard of Share Your Dog. Basically it is for people who can't have pets due to jobs, rental agreements prohibiting pets etc and you can share your dog with them. A colleague at work used to have a dog for the weekend once a month. I also know someone who shares their dog once a week with someone who can't or doesn't want a full time pet. I am planning to register my dog once she is a little older and had her first season and spayed.

Check the site. It could work for you. As for your partner - meh. You and the dog deserve better. Get out there and get some supports for yourselves xxx

However, if he is struggling with his mental health > GP or local NHS IAPT service might be worth considering.

Good luck! x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts