I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Just looking for a bit of support and advice if poss. As you know Millie had her operation on Monday and she's still out of sorts. I'm not sure if it is normal or not.

I've only seen one poo and I can find no evidence of any more in the garden (or in the house !!). I haven't seen her do a wee.

I've tried to walk her on the lead in garden to encourage toileting, but she just pulls ahead and lies down.

But on top of that, she is either quiet, or suddenly she goes quite skittish as if something has bitten her behind and she is trying to get away from it. She will dart off and just crash down on to the floor. She does try to nibble the area, but I think she is just fed up with the plaster on her tummy.

Is her behaviour normal post spaying and I'm just being neurotic.

I spoke to the vets, she's going back at 3pm to have the plaster taken off. But apart from that they don't seem to concerned. I'm wondering if I've chosen the wrong vet !

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Julie, I've no experience of pets being spayed I'm afraid. The good thing is you are back to the vets at 3pm today anyway so they can take a good look for you. Is it possible that the plaster is somehow pulling on her so hurts when she tries to toilet or even walk?

Karen and Rufus x

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Hi, its the first I have heard about a plaster being put over a spay wound, as normally and uncovered but stitched wound will have air to it which helps healing! This plaster could well be what is annoying her so much as I can imagine it is pulling if not on stitches then on her hair???
Weller was incredibly scatchy and itchy where he had been shaved too so perhaps its a combo of all 3 things ie. a little pain, plaster pulling and itchiness. Good thing the paster coming off today I have a feeling this will help :) good luck x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Be very assertive with the vet. If you are concerned then make sure they listen to your concerns. That skittish behaviour is the way they behave when something is hurting or bothering them - Dylan has done that on a few occasions. Is she eating and drinking? I would definitely get some reassurance from them on the toileting issue. Sorry I don't have too much experience of spaying, but suggest you keep on at the vet until you are completely happy with their answers.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Oh poor Millie

Lolly didn't have a plaster on so can't help with that. Lolly is definately quieter than normal but I think that has a lot to do with her ear infection. Lolly is eating and toileting normally (maybe not as many poos as usual but they are large and solid). She has her skittish moments when she is obviously a bit itchy but again I think that is more her ear than her spay wound. She is fine on her lead and bounded into the vets both times we have been back.

I hope Millie is feeling more like herself soon xxx

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
do mention it to your vet but this is exactly how betty behaved. betty was spayed on a thursday and the following wednesday was the first time she seemed vaguely normal. i had to feed her sat on my knee holding her bowl at first or while she was sat in her bed. if i tried to walk her she would try and hide under plants or just want to be picked up. eventually on the tuesday i took her for a walk by running down the drive with me and she followed and once we were out she was ok. but as soon as we got home she went back to exactly how she had been. she also didn't seem to want to poo in the garden and would only poo when out walking. not sure if this is cos toileting would leave a scent and she didn't want to?? i think it was 24 hours after i got betty home from being spayed that she first went to the toilet as i was getting very worried too.

fingers crossed it all goes well at the vets.

xx

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
as for the skittish moments, betty would suddenly jump up, fly round in circles about 5 times and them thump herself back down. am sure its the itching from the healing as that completely stopped after 5 days or so. x

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, really helpful comments :D:):D

The vet just phoned me back and was great. Listened to all my concerns. Said the skittish behaviour sounded odd and will give her a really thorough examination this afternoon.

Millie was shaved completely in that area including her girlie bits and I do wonder if that combined with the plaster is the problem - just as Karen was thinking too.

And like Betty, is behaving in exactly the same way :(

Millie is eating normally, and drinking water, but not quite as much as usual.

But this lack of toileting is adding to my worries.

I don't quite understand, will see when the plaster comes off. But Millie has stitches inside that dissolve and no stitches on the outside.

I'll let you know how the vets visit goes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just to add, Waldo was recently neutered (granted, he's a boy so it was a MUCH less invasive procedure) and he was a little off eating and toileting, but I think part of it was his not having breakfast the day of the op, and then having a smaller than usual supper. His system took a little while to get back on track. And he had the skittish behavior, which I agree with JulesB -- it's itchy and feels "weird" to him! Good luck at the vet!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Gypsy was out of sorts for a good couple of days probably almost a week, just didn't want to do anything.

Delta was very skittish, flinching and itching, darting off then lying down doing weird leg kicks.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess they all react in different ways. Its interesting Kendal, that Gypsy & Delta had completely different reactions.

Right - back from the vets, there for nearly an hour.

Plaster removed, wound examined - a slight soreness, more due to plaster than anything else. Millie was fully checked over, temperature normal, heart rate normal. Bowel full and constipated, bladder empty - :confused:

They offered a full blood test to make sure the kidneys were functioning. Poor Millie had another bald patch, on her neck this time!. Had to wait 20 mins for it. Whilst waiting took Millie outside for a little walk round. She did an enormous poo :D:eek::D:eek:

Well thats the constipation out the way now.

The blood test came back and everything is normal. We have had to come to the conclusion that Millie must be going to wee somewhere and discretely. :)

Lets hope that now the plaster is off, the vest is off, the fur begins to grow and the wound heals, that she will bounce back soon.

Thanks again for all the support, much appreciated. :wave:

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Glad Millie feeling better after toileting!!!!! What a relief that must be for you as much as her!!;)
She will be much happier without plaster.....sounded like it was causing more problems than doing good, Millie will probably bounce back so quickley now....YAY!!!!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
glad to hear she is doing ok now and she sounds much like my betty was after spaying as i was worried as she hardly seemed to be going to the toilet compared to normal but after 5 days she was certainly a lot better.

they do worry you don't they!!!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Glad the vets were thorough Julie, Im sure she'll be fine now, where the plaster has been and the shaving will probably still irritate her but not as much and if her temp is ok then theres no infection anywhere. Mable was quite and out of sorts for about a week before she slowly got back to normal.... you feel so mean cos you've put them through it. x

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
what panicked me a bit was so many people told me their dogs were fine the day after spaying that i just expected betty to bounce straight back and when she didn't i did feel very guilty that i had put her through this operation even though i knew it was for the best. if you'd seen her out 7 days after the op you would never have known she'd even had an op!!!

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
That's a relief Julie. Hopefully she'll be back to her lovely bouncy self in no time. At least it's over and done with now. :)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what panicked me a bit was so many people told me their dogs were fine the day after spaying that i just expected betty to bounce straight back and when she didn't i did feel very guilty that i had put her through this operation even though i knew it was for the best. if you'd seen her out 7 days after the op you would never have known she'd even had an op!!!
I think that was why I was so concerned. I had the impression they bounced back within a day or two. If I'd been better prepared I might not have fretted so much.

Oh on a funny note, I had a client turn up and Millie was soooo pleased to see her she tiddled herself, just like when she was a puppy. My client was all, oh dear, oh dear, naughty Millie. I was, great how lovely a wee at last, first one in 4 days :D Its working again :D

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
I think that was why I was so concerned. I had the impression they bounced back within a day or two. If I'd been better prepared I might not have fretted so much.

Oh on a funny note, I had a client turn up and Millie was soooo pleased to see her she tiddled herself, just like when she was a puppy. My client was all, oh dear, oh dear, naughty Millie. I was, great how lovely a wee at last, first one in 4 days :D Its working again :D
nope Gypsy and Delta both reacted badly to the anasthetic Delta was kept the longest she was kept till about 6 the others were out for atleat 4 Inca 3 because she wouldnt shut up. , where as Echo and Inca were bouncing about the place.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts