I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just thought I would post to stress the importance of health checks AND parent temparment and puppy rearing!!!!After a very stressful morning with my friends lab, he is now 18 months I can't stress enough the importance of all of these things.
Oscar was bought in complete ignorance by a lady who since has become a very good friend. He was sent into their home by the breeder at 5 weeks, pedigree papers having been lost etc. Any way the first few months were pretty uneventful but now the damage this terrible start has given this pup is very very apparent:(
He has temperamental recall and alot of fear issues about everything.Well this morning he wouldn't return to his owner when called and wouldn't let any of us capture him, so I left the owner to it as he usually gets bored after a while and allows himself to be caught. I gave her a ring an hour later to find her in tears saying he has run away and she has gone home!!!! So nI go to macdonalds drive thru and get sausage patty and drive to park to go and find him........well by this time there must've been 8 to 10 different dog owners all stood around obviously discussing Oscar but no one managing to catch him............I spot Oscar over the bridge and make my way over with my fresh cooked sausage as bribery, well the poor dog was absolutely panic stricken he wouldn't come close or take the food from my hand. he was jumping in fear at everything, he didn't even look like Oscar, he was so so scared.A man approached from behind me warning me to be careful, oh its ok I know him he will be fine, well the man showed me his arm, Oscar has badly bitten him about 5 times because this man grabbed his collar, I was shocked but not entirely surprised, So I walked further up the hill and he followed and as soon as he realised we were on our own he calmed right down and allowed me to catch him but it was awful on every account.
He is not a bad dog but through a bad breeder and owners who bought a pup without research, both his health and temperament have suffered massively, the owners don't want to give up on him but don't have the time to give the dog that he needs. Its a heart breaking situation and have advised that they think about giving him up to some who can give him what he needs as I think he is too dangerous to have around a young family.I don't think they will listen but there is a very important lesson to be learn't from them.
SO IF YOU ARE RESEARCHING FOR A NEW PUPPY PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
1, Make sure all relevent health checks are done for your chosen breed.
2, Make sure you meet at least the mother dog and get a feel for her temperament, she will have a huge influence on your pup.
3, Never take your puppy home before the age of 8 weeks or as close to it as possible, a couple of days won't hurt but even a week can make a difference. If your breeder says different do not accept the puppy and start your search again
These pointers will save you a huge amount of heartache and seeing what my friend is going through now I wouldn't wish that on anyone

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
omg how awful and well done for posting this extremely important information.its so sad because both dogs and owners suffer but if even a few people take your advice from this post it will save them making the same mistake xxx

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
What a terrible situation, so sad for all involved. :( Poor Oscar, sounds like he was petrified. I hope things work out ok, do let us know.

Good advice Karen, Thank you. x

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you Mandy, its just seeing the effects first hand are awful! It is partly my friends fault of course but its hard to be angry as they were just ignorant and didn't know better but boy are they paying for it now. Its just so important people realise these things really matter.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Karen if they are wanting to keep him- look into maybe getting a behaviourist involved ( registered one of course) maybe their vet could recommend one?

This is a long shot but I do know a lab breeder who is very involved in the lab world and lab health- I could perhaps ask her advice for you? or see if she knows anyone who would consider taking him on if the need arose.

Can't promise anything but happy to PM this breeder with any of your concerns etc...

Let me know if you would like me to :)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
It's good to hear stories like this sometimes - it reminds us how important good breeding/health checks are. I did SOME research before getting Betty
but from what I have susbsequently learned on ILMC not nearly enough..lessons defo learned for next time. Thankfully no (other than normal puppy )issues with Betty but could have been so different....

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
:first::first::first: You are an absolute star for going back, with a desperate measures high value Mctreat. If you hadn't I guess he would have ended up with the dog warden eventually but with no history of why he had such inappropriate behaviour. Poor chap that go bitten, his heart was in the right place but his skills and understanding of dogs lacking. This story could have been much sadder if you hadn't stepped in. Julia xx

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
It's good to hear stories like this sometimes - it reminds us how important good breeding/health checks are. I did SOME research before getting Betty
but from what I have susbsequently learned on ILMC not nearly enough..lessons defo learned for next time. Thankfully no (other than normal puppy )issues with Betty but could have been so different....
Me too Colin, me and my boyfriend may have rushed in with only 2 days of research behind us on the breed. Vincent is awesome but if we ever get another pup we'll definately really research first!
I just thank everyone here on the forum as I don't think we would have coped thus far without your advice and support! It's important to have :)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Me too Colin, me and my boyfriend may have rushed in with only 2 days of research behind us on the breed. Vincent is awesome but if we ever get another pup we'll definately really research first!
I just thank everyone here on the forum as I don't think we would have coped thus far without your advice and support! It's important to have :)
I totally agree... the support on here is amazing and as a first time dog owner
could have been overwhelmed!!

I just wished I had found this site before I got Betty..

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
How sad and how amazing you are for going back out there to get him.
I must say i agree new owners need to do their research ,my friend brought a puppy from someone and she never saw the parents just met someone half way between their house and the "so called breeders" and were given a puppy!!!
Now he's lovely but he's so scared of everything espeically when anyone goes to stroke him,my friend has since realised what a big risk she toke !.

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Karen, thank god for responsible and caring people like you. Well done for getting Oscar back safely, hope he will get the help he needs.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your words of praise for me but I know you would all have done the same. I couldn't believe is owner had just gone and left him there!!!!
The other dog owners had called the police and council dog warden but they weren't interested as he was not contained!?!?!? I thought that was the whole point? Especially as he had just bitten somone! The man who got bitten was only trying to help and he has a lovely staff himself and I think he realised it was his mistake rather than Oscar's but even so if it had been anyone else they would be perfectly within their rights to demand the dog destroyed, he really was very good about it, it was a serious bite/s.
Heart breaking story, poor Oscar x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts