I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
********TO SAVE CONFUSION THIS IS AN OLD THREAD I BROUGHT ALIVE AS I WAS READING OLD THREADS FROM WHEN LOLA WAS NINA'S AGE! WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES, AND A CALM MUMMY THE SECOND TIME AROUND! HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE WITH PUPPY BLUES***********

:mad:

Hi everyone,

As some of you might know we lave Lola, a choccy cockapoo. She is 13 weeks old. Everything has been going good so far, crate training, sleeping through the night, housebreaking and sit training etc. However, unfortunately almost for the last week she has become like a monster dog. It's actually wearing me down and making us feel really disheartened.

Nothing has changed, she is still obeying commands such as sit, wait, toilet, and is receptive to us telling her she is a good girl. When she is being good and playful it lasts for less than a few minutes. She then goes for our hands, growling and barking. We tell her no and replace it with a chew toy, soft toy, ice cubes. Saying no seems to make her worse, yelping makes it worse and she then lunges at us being very snappy, growling and barking. Time out seems to be the only thing that works. I don't want to resort to this everytime as it means her being away from us which I don't think is helping either.

Also I should say if we are playing and she misbehaves ignoring her or turning our backs doesn't work. She barks LOUDLY and grabs on to feet, slippers, trousers, ankles, legs or anything she can.

After time out she is normally well behaved and falls asleep on us. It's just so frustrating that she gets aggressive like this for no reason when she is mostly loving and happy. We love her so much and want the best for her. I am constantly treating good behaviour.

I guess we just need reassurance that this is a puppy thing that will get better as she learns her boundaries. Or if there is something fundamentally wrong please advise on how to change it.

Thanks guys.

Registered
Hi Ruth,
So sorry you're feeling like this but please don't let it get you down. It is most definitely a puppy thing and will pass. There have been numerous threads on this exact issue and people now report calm, cuddly, laid back dogs :) . Molly used to have a thing for my ankles, sometimes I felt like she was permanently attached to me and it really got to me. I think as soon as you hear the growl or whatever your immediate reaction is "oh no I've got an aggressive dog"!! I worried far too much about the littlest things and realise now, with hindsight, that it was nothing but a phase.
Have a wee glass of wine, or bar of chocolate..whatever appeals most :D and try and not focus too much on the bad bits.. Hard as it may be at times ;)
xx

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much Mairi, I appreciate it. I am not an emotional person usually, but I feel like this is really testing me.

Registered
Oh believe me, ive been there ;).
I think it's because we DO care so much and do try so hard (too hard at times) to get it right that it affects us greatly when it doesn't go to plan!!
X

Registered
Think a lot of us reached a point at some stage when we wondered what we've done! But it's a passing phase and you will soon forget it! Hang in there!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Grateful for the responses. She is barking in protest as I type. Her energy is incredible tonight. I'm hoping she settles for a snuggle soon. The snuggle makes it somewhat worthwhile. Don't want to wish her life away at all but I really look forward to the day that she will be settled, well rounded and my hands can return to being bog standard hands and not chew toys.

She has just gone to time out for biting and barking..... Arrrggggghhhhh.

Reactions: anndante

Registered
Grateful for the responses. She is barking in protest as I type. Her energy is incredible tonight. I'm hoping she settles for a snuggle soon. The snuggle makes it somewhat worthwhile. Don't want to wish her life away at all but I really look forward to the day that she will be settled, well rounded and my hands can return to being bog standard hands and not chew toys.

She has just gone to time out for biting and barking..... Arrrggggghhhhh.
Count to 100!!! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Ps might change my pitapata title to "Lola the monster" instead of "Lola the cutie"
;)

Registered
Hang in there Ruth, it really is just a passing phase...there is not one definitive time or age where it suddenly gets better but gradually bit by bit it does until suddenly you realise the bad behaviour has stopped ..we had a really rough ride with Betty but have had a much easier time with Ted. They are different but all make lovely dogs in the end.

Registered
I know exactly how you feel! Sometimes you think you just have those really bad days it wears you down so much and then others they can be as good as gold!

It's so reassuring to hear what other people say and knowing to hold on in there and it'll all be worth the hard work in the end :) x x

Registered
Hang in there!! I received so much encouragement when Sami went through this, our hands had scratches and bite marks all the time, Im a nurse and it was almost embarrasing, people would comment all the time . . all I had to say was "I have a new puppy", and they understood immediatly. Thats the only time I thought "what have I done, we went 15 yrs without a puppy, now I have to watch every step I make cause hes right there!!" BUT . . take heart, it DOES pass. My husband and I were sitting one night when he was about 61/2 months old, and he was CALM!! Suddenly we had a puppy not biteing!! Now we are due for a new little girl in 6 weeks . . YIKES! I hope Sami will keep her busy with playing, and less biteing us! Think the wine and chocolate was a great idea!

Registered
Thanks we have all been through it hang in there! Dexter used to bite me and hang off my clothes, nothing would stop him. I was worried I had a really willful alpha male! As soon as his adult teeth came through he stopped. He is now the gentlest dog, very obedient and calm. Bonnie went through the same but she did it to Dexter not me, she used to bite him and pull on his ears! She also stopped at the same time. Don't be disheartened there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Registered
This is the puppy blues! :) I also had this and many others do too, some are lucky and escape it but we nearly had divorces and all sorts when Weller was a pup, he was a devil!! It does change and when the one off good days become, two or three eventually you will find you have more good than bad and you begin to forget about the devil pup. Hang in there!

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Your all fab. Thanks so much. It's making me feel better already!

Nanci - I am also a nurse (manager and infection control) so you can imagine the looks I get!!! Dear oh dear.

This mornings update is that she has been ok, not great but ok. She had time out for barking at our breakfast table (we never feed her from our plates so I don't know what the protest was about). Then she settled for cuddles after almost eating a Yankee candle. Oh the joys. I didn't have wine or chocolate, but I did have lemon drizzle cake!

Thanks and keep the good endings coming. It's helping my sanity.

Ruth.

Registered
What a good post, us soon to be new puppy owners need reality checks on what it is really like! I hope it all passes soon and she calms down to a big softie.

Registered
Oh I know you weren't being humorous but I can't help but chuckle. Lola is being a little bugger (that is my nickname for Beau).

When we first got Beau he was pretty wild. My adult son would get really annoyed as he would launch himself at Grant and hang onto his clothes. He is fourteen months now and a LOT calmer.

He is still pretty naughty though - running round the garden with a stolen cushion is his way of getting my attention. I think it is just because they are so intelligent that they require so much of our input. Good luck and I always found that alcohol helped! LOL. :)

Registered
Bringing up a puppy is hard work i went through excatly all the same feelings as you ,Buddy is a very strong willed dog and i found it a big big change to my life.

I must say training classes and agility classes have helped so so much ,it's still hard work but im more in control now so hang in there it does get easier,a good routine always helps puppies love set times for walks ,food,play ,sleep etc.

Also i found having a play date with a friends dog always wore him out and he used to sleep all day after his run around.

Registered
Your post is almost exactly the post I did when our Dexter was that age !!! It will get better, promise :)

Someone told me that puppies need massive amounts of sleep & when tired they become like ratty petulant children ! So, I made an effort to ensure I put Dexter to bed in his crate every couple of hours even if he didn't seem tired. It helped a bit.

Plus a frozen filled kong as a distraction.

Be consistent with saying no - don't give up.

Dexter stopped as soon as his adult teeth arrived. The only time he gets a bit mouthy & gnarly now is when he needs a toilet break.

You'll also need plenty of wine (for you not the dog).

We almost gave up one night - Dexter poohed all over carpet - we cleaned it up (was runny!) then when he came back in the front room he did it again. My husband picked him up to put him outside & unknown to him, stood in the poop & walked it all through the house !!!! We can laugh about it now !!!!

Sent from my iPhone
Lisa - mum of 3 boys, Dexter Cockapoo & 4 hens !

Registered
The ''time out'' technique is definitely what worked best with Betty...but you have to use it EVERY time....just for a few mins and a place they do not want to be ( I used the downstairs loo - do not use their crate!)...do not do it any longer than a few mins as beyond that they have no idea why they are there...regular, short and consistent...you can do it:):) good luck xx

1 - 20 of 69 Posts