I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sitting here with the lovely F1b dog I am looking after for a month,
3-year-old Milo. We only have him until the end of Feb 2015 and then we would like to get our own.

Our whole family of 5 has fallen for the Cockapoo breed but it is hard to agree on colours. Chocolate, sable or blue roan?
Not easy to drop everything and travel to Yorkshire to visit a litter either.

So if anyone knows of any pups likely to be ready from early March onwards within 100 or so miles of the south-east or could point me in the direction of breeders I'd be most grateful.

We have an independent pet shop and reputable vet on the end of our road and are sandwiched between two parks. We are a family of 5 dog-lovers - 2 adult freelancers and 3 kids -- so lots of time and attention for our dog.

However, we are moderate daily walkers (not marathon runners), hence opting for the F1b -- whom I've heard requires a little less exercise.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Are Friday Ads, Gumtree, Trade-It and Pets4Homes generally not advised?? As have been pinging between these and reputable breeders with closed waiting lists.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
First, I believe they are the most amazing dogs and understand how your family was won over by Milo. Second, be prepared that you won't be getting a nice three year old Milo but a crazy little crockapoo puppy that has the potential to drive you insane. That being said, I would still get a cockapoo puppy anyday so best of luck finding your fur baby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Hi, can't recommend them personally but have heard Jaruda Cockapoo's are good and website very informative, also check out Jo jo website - mydogslife, not sure what she is up to or if she is planning any litters in near future but she is lovely and so are her dogs. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Good luck in your search...
I was going to mention Jaruda and Jojo too.
I'm not sure that I agree with the F1b needing less exercise - my cavapoodlie poo is certainly game for as much mad running, squirrel chasing, bunny/fox hunting and walking as my other two dogs and actually she is often the instigator of mad doodle dashing races. She is also perfectly happy to while away the hours in a dead fly position on the end of the sofa as long as she has had an opportunity to exercise. I am making as assumption that Cavaliers are less manic than cockers so her drive and love of a mad race with leaps must come from her poodliepoo heritage :p
I think all dogs adjust to the exercise that their families routinely offer. But don't fall into the trap of thinking that poodles are just lap dogs - they really are not, they are extremely intelligent and active dogs.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I was going to agree with both of the points mentioned above! My cockapoo Tilly has just turned 2 and is sooo much more mellow and chilled out that this time last year, and even more so since she was a pup, so brace yourselves for puppy madness rather than mellow milo!

I can't speak from personal experience as Tilly is an F1 cockapoo. But we often meet poodles at our local park and they certainly don't require any less exercise than Tilly or a cocker spaniel!

That said, what fantastic preparation for having a dog it will be having one to stay for a month - good luck in your search!

Xx

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't think it matters. Bailey is an F1 from a show cocker mother. She is a lazy monkey, she will walk for as long or as little as you want. She always sleeps when she comes home too no matter how log she has been out.

She is just always so content and chilled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Search for F1 Pup

Thanks for all your replies to Search for an F1 pup. Really helpful, informative and fun to read. We have just given Milo back after a month of Cockerpoo dogsitting and feel bereft.
My new question is DO YOU THINK IT'S OKAY TO GET A PUP FROM PETS4HOMES??
All my correspondence with CCGB and other recommended breeders has ended in 'Waiting List Full' or 'Puppies all Gone'. We are so eager for our pup -- if a breeder has done the medical health checks and the parents there to be seen or KC registered is it a reasonable route??
Thanks

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
We have had a couple of poodles at training classes and they have been fab high energy little dogs so I would doubt any calmness from adding an extra dose of poodle.

I would be setting my criteria and then using that to find your pup, so health testing, to see the pup with the mother (and not just be shown a random dog you are told is the mother) whether you want your pup to be reared in the home or are happy with a kennel reared pup.

Molly originally came from a CCGB approved breeder - personally I would not touch them with a bargepole ;)

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Thanks for all your replies to Search for an F1 pup. Really helpful, informative and fun to read. We have just given Milo back after a month of Cockerpoo dogsitting and feel bereft.
My new question is DO YOU THINK IT'S OKAY TO GET A PUP FROM PETS4HOMES??
All my correspondence with CCGB and other recommended breeders has ended in 'Waiting List Full' or 'Puppies all Gone'. We are so eager for our pup -- if a breeder has done the medical health checks and the parents there to be seen or KC registered is it a reasonable route??
Thanks
If you have done LOTS of homework, understand the tests that need to be done etc then puppies advertised on there could be absolutely fine, don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, and ask to see paperwork, a good breeder that wants the best for their pups will be happy to show you the work put in, I see a lot now advertised as PRA clear through parentage - I would still want proof of that. Make yourself visit a few and not grab the first cute pup you see - tempting as it maybe, there are so many you should be able to find a few to visit without travelling too far. I'm sure you will get a good feeling from one over the others. Mum should be there and interact with the pups. If they have just one or two pups left ask to see photo's of the whole litter - photo's should obviously be in the same house and with the mum that should be there, actually not a bad idea to ask if they have any photo's of the pups when they were very young with mum anyway, sadly puppy farmed pups are often transported to very respectable looking homes to be sold on. Just imagine if you had bred a litter, I'm sure you would have hundreds of photo's of them!! you can also google the telephone numbers, sometimes it brings up other adverts which can be enlightening. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Not backcrosses, I don't think, but Hollymow breed sable, chocolate and blue roan. Maybe check out their site. Whilst looking I see Gail has been treating herself to a beautiful red girl, some people are just greedy. I need to come on more often, I'm obviously missing all the news xx

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hi Karen (wilfiboy), you are not keeping up to date lol. I don't come on here much now but just to keep you up to date, after Elsa our red Cockapoo we now have a multicoloured one called Maisie also from Hollymow lol. Check out our daughters blog Doodleslove.com to see our current selection (6 dogs, 5 being cockapoo's) and we are definitely having no more!!! :) Even if someone leaves a litter on our doorstep :eek:

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Hi Karen (wilfiboy), you are not keeping up to date lol. I don't come on here much now but just to keep you up to date, after Elsa our red Cockapoo we now have a multicoloured one called Maisie also from Hollymow lol. Check out our daughters blog Doodleslove.com to see our current selection (6 dogs, 5 being cockapoo's) and we are definitely having no more!!! :) Even if someone leaves a litter on our doorstep :eek:
Wow - how fab!!
We want pictures
We want pictures
We want pictures
.....please?? X :pray:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well done Katie what a fabulous bling, love it ......oh and it goes without saying , love the new editions .....even if slightly greedy lol :love-eyes::love-eyes::love-eyes:
We like being greedy lol but there will be No more, we have all the colours we need now :D We are so proud of Katie with her blog Doodleslove.com even Crufts have invited her for the whole event to hang out with all the Press and Media :D. She also got invited to bring 2 of our dogs to Crufts but we had to turn that down as the Hotel we are staying in does not allow dogs :(

Tinman check out the Blog, all pics on there :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Holding out for CCGB cockerpoo

Thanks again for discussion. Enjoyed the Miss D crufts blog.

We are on the waiting list for one of Adam Gibbins pups -- CCGB registered etc -- so have sworn off any Pets4Homes or Friday Ad sites.

Meanwhile, beginning our 3rd stint of Cockerpoo sitting with the lovely Milo.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts