I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice about using an indoor toilet for Holly. Is this a good idea or just asking for trouble? As a disabled person it is not always possible for me to get to the door as quickly as Holly may need.

I have attempted to research this point but not found much information. Please can I have some honest opinions about this idea :confused::D

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
ordenaraly i dont see the point in it, but in your situation, if it will make life easier then it is something to concider. i dont know anyone who uses one sorry.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I would just use a puppy pad by the door to begin with so you can take her there easily then, when she is older, let her outside. When they are older they can hold on a while, if Flo goes to the door to be let out she can be there quite a while befroe someone notices and will wait till she can get out.

If you also train her to go on command then you can send her out when it is convenient for you.

When she goes on a pad use a cue word as she does her business - we used 'hurry up'. If I open the door now and say 'hurry up' she will go out and go on command.

I'm not sure that an indoor toilet would be necessary then unless clearing up in the garden is a problem. You can get indoor toilet trays but I think it would be a lot of hassle to keep clean and would be really smelly http://www.mybigpetshop.co.uk/mybigpetshop/prod_278946-UGO-DOG-TRAINING-POTTY-TOILET-FREE-PampP.html or you could just have a litter tray like you would with a cat.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If you also train her to go on command then you can send her out when it is convenient for you.

When she goes on a pad use a cue word as she does her business - we used 'hurry up'. If I open the door now and say 'hurry up' she will go out and go on command.
I agree with Mandy that the easiest thing would be to take control and take her out to go when it suits you. I used to do that every hour when I first had Dylan. That way you can go at your own pace. Even now, at bedtime and after meals I still send him out to "go potty". With lavish praise and treats, they soon learn to go on command. I don't know what indoor toilets are like, but if you do decide to use any kind of litter tray, I would strongly advise feeding a raw diet - their poos are so much less smelly and easier to handle.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
A friend of mine had her two yorkies inside toilet trained...basically a cat littler box filled with newspaper shavings....never seen it done with a cockapoo size tho

1 - 5 of 5 Posts