1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At the Discover dogs show I had quite a long chat with the lady
on the ''Honey's Real Dog Food Stand''...essentially they are
suppliers of BARF food. The difference possibly being they will tailor make
the food to you/your dogs preferences/requirements etc..
I can imagine it can be quite expensive - they do not have standard pricing
as it is all tailor made to what you want.
I purchased a book written by the co founder( Jonathon self) which was
quite interesting and was obviously advocating the benefits of a raw diet etc..
but he also said that sometimes when a dog becomes fussy or doesn't want to
eat that you should not make a fuss over it as the dog will often learn to prefer the fuss/attention you are giving it rather than eat the food.
He says a dog can often go up to a week without eating so just don't worry
and don't make a fuss. On a BARF diet he also recommends feeding one meal
per day and at one sitting - if the dog does not eat it within 15 mins it should be taken up. Just thought it could be interesting for some with fussy eaters..

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Thanks Colin this is good advice for people with a fussy eater. My brother has a canine partner assistance dog and she was becoming very fussy and not touching her food, he was worrying and trying anything to get her to eat, cooking, leaving food down etc. After a chat with the training department they too insist on the dogs having to eat at a certain time as they need to toilet at a certain time, not while working!!! So they said to give her her food, 15 mins and take away and then nothing except minimum treats while working, until dinner in the eve and too take that away too if she wasn't interested.
It was very true that the more worried my brother got and the more different things he tried the worse she was getting, as if she knew if she held out long enough then the REALLY tasty food comes out.
Now she knows it won't work and has gone back to eating what and when she should.........sneaky!!!!;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.