I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who does everyone use to insure their cockapoo? We will be getting our new puppy in two weeks and I want to make sure I have adequate cover.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
We use PetPlan - the policy that doesn't limit you to a certain amount per condition or per year.

We were buying Rosie at the time that my brother's beagle had an operation for a slipped disc and their pet insurance was limited to £2k. She had an MRI scan and an operation and the total cost was £4k! That was Tesco Pet Insurance. So we decided to take the decision seriously!

Petplan is recommended by our vet and I found a few websites that said it was the best. I have no personal experience of making a claim and hopefully I never will have!

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have Petplan too.
Our breeder recommended them as they have all thier dogs insured with PetPlan too.
make sure you get the policy that is for life. apparently if you dont get the 'for life' policy insurance company's can stop your insurance at 8 years old or increase the price quite a lot.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
make sure you get the policy that is for life. apparently if you dont get the 'for life' policy insurance company's can stop your insurance at 8 years old or increase the price quite a lot.
When you have a covered for life policy, the premium still goes up each year doesn't it? I think it gets really expensive for older dogs. If the price was held, I'd definitely go for this one.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
we are with More Than, have made one claim on Inca when she swalowed a dummy teat and couldnt pass it(this was exactly a week after being spayed)

we have everything (rather than putting their names i have just ritten their letters lol i think its self explanitory lol)

vet fees upto(for G, I & E) £7000 ( D) £3000
dethfrom injury (G, I & E) £600 (D)£500
loss by theft or straying "
advertizing and reward "
kennel fees if owner needs hospital treatment"
pet holiday protection(G, I & E) £1250 (D doesnt have this)
thrid party liabilaty cover for your dog up to (G, I & E) £2 million (D) £1million

looking at Deltas she is different she has all the same exept for the holiday protection, but the amount we can clame is less, didnt notis that before

Gypsy is 4 years old £15.49 a month
Inca is 4 years old £15.99 a month(she is the only one we have claimed on for £478.66 about 3 years ago)
Echo is 2 years old £13.99 a month
Deltais 8 months old £9.88 a month

they all started off about £9 when we first go them

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Must be cheaper up in Scotland. All the ones that cover past 12 months per condition were over £20 for Dylan. I'm with E & L because they are by far the cheapest for a good level of cover for life, but I'd quite like to switch if I could find a good alternative.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone just do insurance to cover vet bills? I really am not interested in all the gimmicky add ons like reward money, advertising costs etc. I suppose I need the equivalent of third party fire and theft for a dog !!!!!!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
If you go on a compare website I think you can filter some of the things out ... its such a bind trying to make head or tail of what they are covering... if you find something great let us know x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
we are with More Than, have made one claim on Inca when she swalowed a dummy teat and couldnt pass it(this was exactly a week after being spayed)

we have everything (rather than putting their names i have just ritten their letters lol i think its self explanitory lol)

vet fees upto(for G, I & E) £7000 ( D) £3000
dethfrom injury (G, I & E) £600 (D)£500
loss by theft or straying "
advertizing and reward "
kennel fees if owner needs hospital treatment"
pet holiday protection(G, I & E) £1250 (D doesnt have this)
thrid party liabilaty cover for your dog up to (G, I & E) £2 million (D) £1million

looking at Deltas she is different she has all the same exept for the holiday protection, but the amount we can clame is less, didnt notis that before

Gypsy is 4 years old £15.49 a month
Inca is 4 years old £15.99 a month(she is the only one we have claimed on for £478.66 about 3 years ago)
Echo is 2 years old £13.99 a month
Deltais 8 months old £9.88 a month

they all started off about £9 when we first go them
worked out what the problem was with Deltas insurance, turns out when mum did it online she clicked the wrong button and went for the pet saver which ment that any madication or treatment she needed would only be covered for 12 months, so we conceled it and restarted the same cover as the others so he price per month is now £12 something

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I keep trying to get a quote from Pets at home cos they do 9000 a year cover for life, cant be bothered ringing them but online it never gets to the end of the quote x

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I'm with More Than too and Betty costs £12.75 per month. When I got her and shopped around More Than was the cheapest for what I wanted covered.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I wish I could find the quotes that you are all getting! Must be more expensive in London. The only company that would give me ongoing cover (as opposed to 12 month limit) with a good ceiling per condition for under £20 a month was E & L. More than and PetPlan were well over £20 for me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Interesting...I'm wondering if pet insurance isn't huge in the states. I know there are options, but I don't know anyone that has it. I'm guessing you all have found it helpful?? I'll have to look into it...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Paul
ye I am in same boat. Got month with pet plan and was going to renew it. But trailin internet they don't get good write ups. So really hard choosin. But of comparison sites a couple that seem good:
Vetsmedicover - £18 per month for life cover of £10000.
also More Than where good. Its really hard so many different reveiws. not chosen one yet. jane:confused:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went for Pets at Home Insurance in the end. The cover was what I wanted and as I am using their in store vet, I get lower excess and I thought claims would be dealt with easily.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hi

From experience try and get the best cover you can afford. We had a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that had a heart murmur and needed to be on medication for the rest of her life but the insurance cover I had only covered £3000 per condition per year so she wouldn't have been covered for the second year and her medication was £80 per month! Unfortunately we had to have her put to sleep earlier this year as she got very ill. We now have a beautiful 8 week old Cockapoo and am going to go with Petplan who will cover any illnesses (hopefully she wont need it) for life.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts