I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm Bolly's Slave. He's 5 years old and everything that a cockapoo should be, that wonderful mix of mischievousness and obedience. We've had different dogs over the years, but Bolly is the best!

Only ever had one dog at a time before and we have decided to get another pup, a girl, in July.

Would welcome any hints and tips on how to settle in a new puppy. We know that Bolly will be grumpy initially but but would welcome every bit of sensible advice on what to do about 'sibling' jealousy.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
I just brought in a new puppy though Jake is only nine months. There are good threads on her with lots of info on the best things to do.
One thing I found very helpful was to trust Jake and let him set limits with Willow. He would sound like he was going to eat her but he never hurt her. I never yelled at him for correcting her and she quickly learned her place.
I always feed Jake first, give him the first treat, let him it the door before her after me. I pat him first and say hi to him first. Sounds simple but it is hard to not go nuts for the puppy.
Not every case is the same. Some have a smooth transition and others don't.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

That's pretty much basic common sense and it works for me. Obvious once you've been told. I liked the bit about trusting the older dog; it's a bit like leaving toddlers to sort out their own squabbles I suspect.

I always walk through doors and gates first, it will a challenge to keep a keen pup behind Bolly, but I suspect Bolly will sort that out for me.

Thanks for your support.

By the way, your new baby is just about exactly what I'm hoping to get in terms of colouring!

Bev:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts