I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been a number of threads about bringing puppies in to a house where there is already a dog...but what about bringing an older dog into a house
where there is already a pup ( 6.5 Months)?? as I'm still thinking of getting Betty
a playmate and have seen a couple of older dogs for sale recently.
Anyone had experience of this - does it cause any additional problems??
Thanksx

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hey, I was going to post a similar question last night! Except my dog isn't a puppy anymore. The dog I am considering is said to be about 3 years old and is a boy (what if he marks in the house!?). I haven't even met him but already I am trying to figure out HOW and IF he would fit into our home. Where would he sleep? Eat? Would he get along with Chloe? How do I walk two dogs? Is my house big enough for two dogs? Is it best to leave Chloe as an only pet? What if he has a medical problem the rescue society doesn't know about...or serious behavioural issues? Ahhh... So many questions!

Can't wait to read the responses for any advice or experience. Thanks for asking :)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Spooky - I've asked myself all the sequestions too!!! That's the thing about getting an older dog you are not quite sure what you might be taking on...
on the other hand you by-pass the puppy stage which while it's fun can be quite hard work and exasperating!! I'm a new dog owner so rely on the good folks here
to provide answers:D:D

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I have always rehomed older dogs - with the advantage being you are past the pesky chewing, house training stage and the disadvantage being they can be a slight unknown quantity and may require time to adapt to your lifestyle - but usually less time and work than a puppy.

Good rescues will try to assess the dog as well as they can as they really want dogs they home to stay in the homes - but dogs can behave differently in different homes so may still need a while to adjust and settle down. Rehoming privately can either work well or I have heard of cases where people have not been entirely honest about problems the dog may have in order to convince you to have them - so worth assessing a dog yourself or taking along an experienced friend if possible.

Introducing dogs to other dogs within a home can take a few weeks to settle down and usually includes an "oh no - I should never have done this" period at least once. Early days are best left as calm as possible with initial introductions best done on neutral ground and then toys, treats, chews and anything which may cause conflict being removed until you have a chance to assess how both dogs will behave around them.

Medical problems - any dog can have them wherever they come from so I have never considered them to be an obstacle to taking on a dog. I actually took on my first dog from a rescue having been told he had fits - which may have been a naive decision but it was one I never regretted for a second. Likewise with behavioural issues - any dog can develop them - although a good rescue will work with a novice owner to try to minimise the chance of this happening with a dog they pair you with.

There are thousands of dogs of all shapes and sizes looking for good homes - many for no reason to do with the dogs behaviour. The dogs I have had so far have been a 5 year old whose family were splitting up and they could no longer keep him, a 12 month old who had been passed from person to person and then finally to rescue as nobody really wanted her, and a 3 year old taken from his owners due to their neglect of him - the only one who had "issues" was the last - but that was pretty much to be expected given his background.

Good luck - happy to try and answer any further questions if I can be of any help.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Just found a couple of older dogs, not sure what you're looking for but thought i'd copy the links in case there was anyone interested...

Not sure if they're still available or not either as it doesn't always tell you, just thought i'd post to let other knows.

http://pets.wickedin.co.uk/item/481...011-11-25&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=alert

http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/15mth-boy-black-cockapoo-for-sale-50000/90661600

This black one doesn't look like it'll be suited to you Colin as it says without other dogs preferably but doesn't mean no one will be interested so just incase...

http://pets.wickedin.co.uk/link/4805234

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
No problem Colin :)
Just trying to keep helpig out just incase you think one will suit or anyone else is looking :)
They do tend to go veryn quickly though!
That second little girl that you missed out on is absolutely gorgeous!!! Such a gorgeous colour, just beautiful :)
But if you just keep an eye out the like you say you're not in a rush & the right pup will come along soon :D

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Aww cutie :) It's a cavapoo rather than a cockapoo though is anyone is looking for one, I don't know how anyone could part with their dogs, we've only had Poppy 3 and a half weeks & we couldn't sell her or give her back to the breeder for anything! It would be so difficult.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Aww cutie :) It's a cavapoo rather than a cockapoo though is anyone is looking for one, I don't know how anyone could part with their dogs, we've only had Poppy 3 and a half weeks & we couldn't sell her or give her back to the breeder for anything! It would be so difficult.
It must be so difficult to give up a dog as from my experience you get attached so quickly. When the company i worked for went bust last year my biggest concern was Betty as my job was well paid so i could afford a dog walker and flexible so i could work from home. I was lucky as i got another job quickly and have a good degree of flexibility but my mum rang me and said that no matter what happened that i wouldn't have to give Betty up which was a huge relief as i know i couldn't give her away.

All the dogs in the ads are gorgeous!!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
It must be so difficult to give up a dog as from my experience you get attached so quickly. When the company i worked for went bust last year my biggest concern was Betty as my job was well paid so i could afford a dog walker and flexible so i could work from home. I was lucky as i got another job quickly and have a good degree of flexibility but my mum rang me and said that no matter what happened that i wouldn't have to give Betty up which was a huge relief as i know i couldn't give her away.

All the dogs in the ads are gorgeous!!
I know what you mean, as dog owners you so quickly become attached! I couldn't ever get rid of my babies & i'm glad your mum said that you would never have to worry about that :) That's a lovely thing to say :D

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I know what you mean, as dog owners you so quickly become attached! I couldn't ever get rid of my babies & i'm glad your mum said that you would never have to worry about that :) That's a lovely thing to say :D
I know bless my parents! to be honest they love Betty as much as i do. They are on holiday at the moment in St Lucia and i keep getting texts saying "hows our grandpup?" !!!!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I know bless my parents! to be honest they love Betty as much as i do. They are on holiday at the moment in St Lucia and i keep getting texts saying "hows our grandpup?" !!!!
Yeah they sound like lovely parents :D I know my parents would do the same for me if they had to :) OMG St Lucia is beaut :D I bet they're having a great time :D Grand pup cute! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.