I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone with more than one dog could give some advise on how to introduce my new puppy to existing cockapoo (Dolly, who has just turned 1), 2 small children (4 and 5) and 1 tonkinese cat?!

I don't want it to be too full on for the puppy when I bring her home. I have read in a book about the puppy and Dolly meeting in an open space which is neutral i.e not your garden. Not really sure how you do this re vaccinations and taking them out before 10 weeks etc..... Do you think let the puppy into the garden and then have Dolly on the lead at first introduction? Also, at night should I put the puppy in a crate and have Dolly in her bed, but in the same room? Dolly lives in the kitchen and she occasionally comes into the rest of the house, but not often. If I pop out dring the day would it be wise to pop the puppy in her crate then as well? Sorry for so many questions, just never had 2 dogs before! This reminds me of when I had my second baby, stressing over how on earth I was going to manage to breast feed whilst feeding my toddler tea! I am very much a routine based individual, so need some kind of guide on what to do :). I am sure Dolly will love the new puppy as she is still really a puppy herself, I just don't want to scare the new arrival :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Clare

we are going through the same questions as you :)

We already have a JD puppy, well Dexie is 18mnths now and are taking her with us to collect Oscar on the 30th, again a JD puppy.We felt this was important so we don't just turn up at home with her, i'm going to sit in the back of the car with both of them on the way home so they can say hello to each other. Dexie has never used a crate but this time round we have one for Oscar as we feel that he will need his own space, somewhere to escape too. Dexie has the roam of the house, but this isn't going to be good for Oscar what with stairs and all, so he will be in his crate during the night and when we go to work. We are thinking that Dexie might change her sleeping pattern too and want to sleep with Oscar so will be bringing her bed downstairs and hopefully we will get our bed back :D i know we shouldn't really let her on the bed but hey she is just so cute and cuddly that i just can't say no !!

I'm sure Dolly and your new puppy will get on just fine as long as they have their own space to retreat too.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Rascal was just over 1 when we bought Scamp home. I carried Scamp in and Rascal jumped up to sniff him, we then went in the garden.
Scamp kept wagging his tail and Rascal sniffed and played with him, Scamp was tiny in comparison but Rascal just seemed to know and acted accordingly.
For the first few mths until Scamp was clean at night I kept them separate, partly to give Rascal a break and also so he didn't have to put up with the accidents ! It also meant he got to sleep on my son's bed !
In the morning I would go down to see to Scamp and Rascal would be desperate to see him.
With regards to your children , mine are older but they need to know that puppies need their sleep, so leave them when they are asleep and beware at the nippy stage !
Good Luck :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
We also have a cat - she was quite disgusted with another puppy !!
She is fine with both of them, they have days when she decides to be nice and say hello and others when she runs away - all on her terms ! As long as your cat has a safe place - maybe up high - where she can escape she/he will soon adjust. Cats definitely rule over dogs !!
If your older dog is up to date with vacs then the pup should be ok.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We also have a cat - she was quite disgusted with another puppy !!
She is fine with both of them, they have days when she decides to be nice and say hello and others when she runs away - all on her terms ! As long as your cat has a safe place - maybe up high - where she can escape she/he will soon adjust. Cats definitely rule over dogs !!
If your older dog is up to date with vacs then the pup should be ok.
I just know my cat will be truly annoyed. She generally has the run of the house and Dolly the kitchen only. She is just coming to terms with Dolly (but really not that keen :)), and now another one is on it's way! Still, you are right, cats rule!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Thanks for raising this Clare, I was going to ask the same question.

I would ideally like both dogs to sleep in the kitchen - would that work with pup in crate and Maisie on sofa or in her bed, also in the kitchen?

We didn't use the crate much for Maisie (she was poorly initially and just wanted to be nearer to me), but I can see it being very useful this time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts