I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Emily, and i have an 11week old Cockapoo, Ernie! 馃檪

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advise. Ernie's so loving and energetic, but we're having issues keeping him entertained, and he's turning into abit of a handful! He has if anything TOO MANY toys, all of which keep him occupied for all of 5-10minutes before he's off looking for something else to get his teeth into! He has Nylabone chews, plush teddy's, squeaker toys, rubber rings/balls, a kong and some puzzle treat balls. I've recently donated a shoe, i chase him about pretending i want it back because he seems to love everything he shouldn't have (he has no acces to other footwear) but even that's lost it's appeal.

I know he's young and exploring and has bundles of energy, i'm just concerned i'm not doing enough to keep his mind occupied. He's only just allowed out for walks, so i'm hoping that starts to take up some energy soon!

Has anyone had the same problem and can help/offer any advise?!

TIA, Emily and a very curious, Ernie! 馃惥

Registered
Hi Emily,
We had an almost identical start to life with our boy, Gus. He started out as an overly energetic, mischievous boy who didn't much care about toys and seemed (to us) to just want to cause as much trouble as possible.
During the 8 weeks we've had him, he has calmed down considerably but is still a little full on at times, this may or may not change, only time will tell.
The biggest change seems to have come by way of consistent training from all in the family, and being willing to say "no", "leave", "drop" etc a hundred times if necessary. This has really helped him understand what is acceptable and what is not.
As you have likely read, lots of treats for correct behaviour, even when they haven't done anything in particular but are just being quiet goes a long way to changing this initial mindset.
Walks should calm him somewhat but the amount of time you are supposed to take them out initially (5 mins per month of age) may not tire him out entirely to begin with. Gus being out for 45 mins+ now seems to do the trick.

Gus is turning into a much more loveable pup now, and is beginning to enjoy our company as much as play. This is mostly down to putting in the effort and laying the foundations for a balanced adult dog. It is bloody hard work though so don't let it get to you and keep up the good work.

Steve.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Firstly, Gus is a great name!! 馃惥

Thank you, this has made me feel a little better. He's such a clever little pup and i want to do right by him, i'm just getting down thinking i'm not doing enough!! Everything seems to be a game with him, so telling him "no" can be difficult.

We'll plod along regardless. Rinse and repeat will hopefully be the key! 馃馃檪

Registered
Thanks, Gus is short for Gustopher. 馃槀
Ernie is an equally awesome name.

What you'll come to realise is that no matter what you do, or how much mental stimulation you give, you'll always wonder "am I doing enough?". It's only natural.

It takes a fair chunk of time together to understand what your pup likes, wants and needs, and for him to understand what you expect. One day it seems to 'click' but until then you'll always feel a bit lost.
Time as well as consistency with commands and training will help you get there.

Gus has just started teething for his adult teeth and is chewing and biting EVERYTHING. Just the next thing to test us and overcome.

Puppy life is fun. 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Ernie was my Great great Granddad, Great Granddad & Great Uncle. I couldn't name him anything else when my Nan knew that "Ernie" was on the table! 馃ぃ

I'm trying to make us stick to a routine today. He's starting to get mardy when i leave a room, but it's hard to get away with the current situation.

I've just been out and brought him some teething & calming treats, see if it helps him settle down!

Fun, stressful, it's all the same at the moment!! 馃ぃ馃憤馃惥

1 - 5 of 5 Posts