I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was delighted to find this amazing forum while researching Cockapoos. I have already found a load of useful information here, but as of now we don't have a Cockapoo yet. We are still searching for the "perfect" puppy for our family and I confess that buying a Labrador would have been much easier in terms of finding a reliable breeder close to us (Cambridgeshire) than Cockapoos. But, the adorable Cockapoos have stolen the hearts of the family and so we search.

Expect questions from this new user of the forums.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome,

so what are you after American/English(show or working) x Mini/Toy poodle
what generation
girl or boy
do you have a colour in mind
do you have any alergys than mean you need to becarful about coat choice to reduce the chance of reaction, as some people do react to ckcapoos and some cockapoos do shed a little.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Kendal and thanks! The "ideal" puppy would be F1, working English Cocker X Miniature Poodle. We like males as well as females. We are flexible on colour as well. We do not have any animal allergies, but since we have small children we prefer a non-shedding dog just to be safe (who knows whether they develop one later on. We have a cat and we are all fine).

None of the above is a must! In my experience, once you fall in love with a puppy, then that's it. I think the character and health are the most important things. I saw some puppies yesterday and it was only after I left the breeder's place that I realised that most likely I had just visited the front of a covered up puppy mill. We are trying to be as careful as we can. We like to search a bit longer, pay a bit more if necessary, just to make sure that we get the right puppy.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hello & welcome! :)
My girls are both crossed with show cockers so i'm afraid I cannot recommend a breeder, but I hope you find your perfect puppy really soon! I bet you're really excited :)
I'm sure the two links that Sarah has posted will help you a lot before & after getting your cockapoo :)
& feel free to ask for any advice you need, there is always someone with knowledge :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi,

I only joined the Orem a few days ago and have found it so welcoming and helpful!,

We picked up Poppy from an amazing lady. Poppy's mum is a working cocker and her dad a miniature poodle. The breeder is lovely and its not at all a puppy mill. She is based in Shropshire if you are interested! Happy to send you her details....

Jane.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your warm welcome messages and the information.

@Jane: I would be interested in the breeder's info, thank you.

After reading some posts and threads on this forum, we are now having second thoughts regarding Cockapoos because of the rage syndrome issue. We want to be very careful because we have children, and after having talked to another breeder today, I am more than convinced that some just don't know what they are doing. I know that no consensus exists as what RS exactly is, but that should not mean that the problem can just be ignored. I was, however, positively surprised by the position taken by JD.

Well, the search continues, now accompanied with a lot of extra reading.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Some people believe the 'cocker rage' a myth :)
I don't think there is any proof that show cockers can be more aggressive than others.
So don't base your breed entirely on this, if you find a breeder with breeding dogs with good temperments then I wouldn't worry, just don't base a puppy on one issue that doens't have solid proof. :/

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are right, Laura. One should not base the decision on a controversial issue. However, when small children are involved one should be careful. I got frustrated yesterday after hitting a dead end with one breeder, but have now had positive experience with others. Let's see. The search continues.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I understand you have small children & you obviously need to consider that, of course! The children come first, I just haven't met anyone on here with cockapoos crossed with show cockers who have had any problems. All puppies nip obviously, you have to try & discourage that in any way you can, but other than that you should be absolutely fine with either cross :) It's whichever you prefer at the end of the day :)
There will always be breeders out there that you like & dislike so don't get too frustrated, jut keep an eye out for the 'right' one & you will be very happy when your puppy finally comes home :D & so will your kids!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hi. My Cockapoo is half show cocker, I have young children and I childmind. She is the most laid back soppy thing I have come across. When I researched I spoke to breeders of Cockapoos and Cocker Spaniels and the general feeling was that it was not seen these days. It was also thought not just to be related to Cockers but an issue that any dog could experience. :) For my future second Cockapoo I would not rule out either. :)

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/aggression/cocker_rage.shtml

http://thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/rage_syndrome.htm

I think a balanced view needs to be taken and the most important thing is to consider the temperament of the parent dogs, regardless of whether from a show or working background.

Good luck with your search! :D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thank you all for your warm welcome messages and the information.

@Jane: I would be interested in the breeder's info, thank you.

After reading some posts and threads on this forum, we are now having second thoughts regarding Cockapoos because of the rage syndrome issue. We want to be very careful because we have children, and after having talked to another breeder today, I am more than convinced that some just don't know what they are doing. I know that no consensus exists as what RS exactly is, but that should not mean that the problem can just be ignored. I was, however, positively surprised by the position taken by JD.

Well, the search continues, now accompanied with a lot of extra reading.
Hello CPlove:)

What has been the main problem you have been finding with the breeders you have contacted?

What was the position taken by JD that you were positively surprised about?

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Hi I hope you have some luck finding a decent breeder. I too am puzzled as to what breeders have said about cocker rage syndrome???
I too was warned of this by people when we said we wanted a cockapoo but people always have bad stories when you tell them you are interested in something, especially dog breeds....so we just made our own minds up. Although I am obviously aware of the so called condition in cockers, I haven't yet heard of it in cockapoos......has anyone else?
I think any badly bred dog can have aggression issues, what ever the breed, so providing you find a good breeder I would feel confident you will get a lovely family dog. We have young children and have had no problems what so ever. I would never trust any dog with young children 100% and never leave them unattented but this is just common sense and I am sure you will already know that :)
Good luck with your search, it can take a long time to find what you want.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your useful feedback.

Hello CPlove:)
What has been the main problem you have been finding with the breeders you have contacted?
What was the position taken by JD that you were positively surprised about?
My feeling is that the Cockapoo is a popular dog these days. This seems to attract backyard breeders. In one case, I was shown only half of the litter and the mother separately. And I had to listen to a long story explaining why the puppies were in a utility room and not in the house. After I rejected the puppies I was offered Labradoodle puppies which I could have visited the next day, although they were supposedly owned by the same couple. Needless to say that I walked away.

Another breeder just didn't seem to be willing to acknowledge a concerned parent's question about the syndrome. The same breeder's story about the parents of the puppy they had available was a bit difficult to follow.

JD has shown a lot of concern on these forums, guiding people who have been discussing "aggressive" behaviour of their Cockapoos. It seemed to me he was concerned about behaviour which could possibly be linked to RD.

Hi I hope you have some luck finding a decent breeder. I too am puzzled as to what breeders have said about cocker rage syndrome???
I too was warned of this by people when we said we wanted a cockapoo but people always have bad stories when you tell them you are interested in something, especially dog breeds....so we just made our own minds up. Although I am obviously aware of the so called condition in cockers, I haven't yet heard of it in cockapoos......has anyone else?
(...)
Good luck with your search, it can take a long time to find what you want.
I talked to one breeder today, who acknowledged that she had known two Cockapoos with RD. Both had been put to sleep, one was her own and one belonged to a friend. She does not breed Cockapoos anymore due to this experience.

Now, I don't know what to believe and what not. But it is my job to be as careful as possible. And that's why I am here on these forums, where people are friendly and willing to help.

I should have added that I am pleased to hear that people are so confident about their Cockapoos around children. The Cocker Spaniels I have met, have always been super friendly and lovely.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your useful feedback.

My feeling is that the Cockapoo is a popular dog these days. This seems to attract backyard breeders. In one case, I was shown only half of the litter and the mother separately. And I had to listen to a long story explaining why the puppies were in a utility room and not in the house. After I rejected the puppies I was offered Labradoodle puppies which I could have visited the next day, although they were supposedly owned by the same couple. Needless to say that I walked away.

Another breeder just didn't seem to be willing to acknowledge a concerned parent's question about the syndrome. The same breeder's story about the parents of the puppy they had available was a bit difficult to follow.

JD has shown a lot of concern on these forums, guiding people who have been discussing "aggressive" behaviour of their Cockapoos. It seemed to me he was concerned about behaviour which could possibly be linked to RD.

I talked to one breeder today, who acknowledged that she had known two Cockapoos with RD. Both had been put to sleep, one was her own and one belonged to a friend. She does not breed Cockapoos anymore due to this experience.

Now, I don't know what to believe and what not. But it is my job to be as careful as possible. And that's why I am here on these forums, where people are friendly and willing to help.

I should have added that I am pleased to hear that people are so confident about their Cockapoos around children. The Cocker Spaniels I have met, have always been super friendly and lovely.
I have looked and can't find the threads you talk of, about advice and/or cocker rage. I would love to have a read, what did you put in search to find them?

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I have found some of the threads and can understand your concerns but have a good read on the internet. Rage syndrome affects many breeds of dogs but is also very rare.
Cocker's get slapped with this label very quickley by vets, trainers and owners alike but is infact hard to diagnose.
Aggression can be present for many many different reasons and you need an expert in dog behaviour to help diagnose RS.
I myself have unfortunately seen dogs fight and they can get a glazed look in their eyes and be totally unresponsive to anything but their intentions at that time but 10 mins later they can be laid licking and grooming each other as if nothing happend. If this happens with cockers they are labelled as having rage.
Aggression is bad in any dog don't get me wrong but as I said before providing you find a good breeder, that uses studs and bitches of sound temperament and health then I wouldn't be too worried.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am glad you found the threads, Karen! I came across those by chance and then cross references.

Anyhow, I have met Cockers and they have always been very very friendly and I know Poodles by having lived with one years ago. It should be a fab mix, and I am really thankful for the feedback and advice received here. I fully agree that aggression must be a more general problem. But I do wonder why the Cockers take the beating? Have there been any particular cases or what could be the reason for ascribing RS to them? Is it like the Staffies? Many factors not directly related to the breed come together, but it is the breed that has to take the blame?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Cocker rage was initially aimed at the golden coloured male cockers but evidence now suggests as Wellerfeller has said rage applies to many breeds in various disguises.

I have not heard of any cockapoos suffering from RS- so I would think the % would be very very small otherwise it would be more talked about in the cockapoo circles and forums and by breeders.

Funnily enough I have over the last couple of years done many debates with people who are anti-crossbreeding and cockapoos but RS in cockapoos hasn't been mentioned before although many other assumptions have.

For you CP love think you will have to weigh up the risks for your own circumstances but would be very doubtful that your queries to RS in cockapoos can be answered with such clarity as many are doubtful that such a syndrome exists.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
It appears that although other breeds can experience issues there was media sensationalism during the 80's by the Daily Mirror that focussed on Cocker Spaniels. There has been no studies for 10 years and this is something relates to any dog NOT just Cocker Spaniels.

I agree that everyone should carefully consider the back ground to their dogs however I feel that to label a whole group of dogs 'dangerous' is a dangerous claim in itself without having proper statistics, basically you are making an assumption based on rumour and hearsay.

Have you also considered that alot of the show and working lines are mixed?

I do think it is like the Staffies but whereas the problem with staffies and their reputation is current the Cocker spaniel issue was publicised 20 years ago! It would be a shame if it was sensationalised again without any true basis.

Maybe you should also consider the energy levels of the working cocker? Although a breeder may tell you that they are not high energy there are often people on Cocker forums who have not understood the needs of a working cocker as like the springer, they can be high energy.

In my humble opinion it is all about balance. You will get lazy working dogs and high energy show dogs. Before considering buying a puppy you need to look at the parents temperament, consider health checks, how the puppies are raised etc etc. There are alot of breeders out there who are only in it for the money and it may take you a long time to find a breeder you are happy with and even then you may have to wait for the litter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good points, everyone! Thank you.

Re working lines: You are right about their energy levels. But none of the requirements mentioned in my first post are a must, rather a general guideline. We will get the puppy that we feel right about and this includes breed, breeder, parents, health and all the other issues frequently mentioned in books forums and so on. A healthy puppy, and that includes physical as well as mental/emotional health, is our first priority. All that said, we are a fairly active family and believe that we can offer a suitable home to an energetic dog. The dog's day, the days after its first year, will start with 30 minutes of cycling and we can offer extended walks and swims over the weekends.

And again, I understand that the differences between show and working lines are not that clear cut. So far, we have not eliminated breeders because they breed from show lines.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.