I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
We have a delightful 7 month old male cockapoo called Tuxi- we are looking for advice about growling.
He only started doing this about 4 weeks ago, and usually happens if we are trying to take something out of his mouth. However, it can also be when he is in his basket, or if he is somewhere he shouldn't be, and is removed.
It has made us all slightly nervous now as you can never be altogether sure when it will happen.
Searching the forum uncovered lots of other issues but not growling- we hope our cockapoo is not the only growler out there!
Advice gratefully received please!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi
Dunno if my answer will help but I gave my dog a bone took it away and he growled
So I turned my back then kept giving back bone and taking away . Also when in bed I would slowly wake him . Sort of pushing my luck if you like and showing who's boss ...letting them know its not allows He hasn't done it since the 1st time !!
Also is it a nasty growl or a play growl cos if I play tug he will growl but its a happy growl if that makes sense .. consistency and firmness worked for us
Hope this helps
Let me know how it goes
Marzy

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
he is growling in protest about you moving him or removing something from him. this is something you need to nip in the bud, he has worked out that if he growls you back off an he gets what he wants. for the taking something out his mouth i would teach him to give you the item exchanging it for a treat or a toy try bouncing a ball if he drops the obgect tell him he is good and and through the ball for him. you want him to learn that if he gives you something he gets something better in return.

as for the growling tying to get him off stuff, you can try the same thing or keep a lead on him and remove him telling him off our out or whatever, that way you dont have to hold his collar and risk getting bitten if he did decide to bite.

he is 7 month so is just testing the bounrys trying to change the rules of the house.

as its only just started it should be easy to stop

oh would love to see photos i take it he is a tuxido cockapoo?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice- will try these tips- its definatley not a play growl! Yes, guessing he is also hitting adolescence, so hormones++
Will get the kids to post a photo of him!

·
Registered
818 Posts
You really need to get him neutered. Neutering helps with aggression a lot, and has many health benefits too.

I agree with Kendal, stop this now or it'll only get worst!

You need to start NILIF now: http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm This will help, please give it a try.

And pick up all his toys. Every. Single. One. This will be a slight shock to him at first, but it sounds like you got a wanna be ruler and a resource guarder on your hands. Very dangerous in the long run, even from a small dog. If he gets worst and get's a bite history it'll follow him is whole life. Take it seriously, and NOW. Habits like this only get harder and harder to break. He won't grow out of it. He's just growing into it right now.

If he thinks he can tell you when you can, and can't take something, pull the rug out from under him so to say and put the toys up! He can have one at a time ONLY for play. Once he's tired of fetch, take it (trading for a treat -throwing it works great too- as kendle said, NOT taking from him yet) If he wants to chew a toy, crate him with it so there is no chance of him guarding it.

If he guards couches, beds, ect, do not let him up onto them. If he does get up onto one, go towards him and tell him 'off' if he ignore you, squirt him with a water bottle. Or pick up the long line (10 ft of thin cord) which he should be dragging and pull him off, and without saying anything (silent treatment) lead him to his crate and put him in for ten minutes.

But no matter how mad you are, at least pretend to be happy with him if he does get of without a fight and give him a treat.

Remember a tired dog is a happy dog. Does he get any exercise?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts