I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back to the drawing board ,No chocolate in the litter I was hoping for.
I have found another breeder and have just realised the female is a min poodle and the male is a working cocker spaniel I havnt come across this way round could anyone let me know if this is ok

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
You will no doubt gets lots of views on this - however in our experience it is normally the mum as the Cocker and the dad as Poodle.
We believe (through personal experience of our own dogs and their pups) that the resultant puppy gets 60% from it's mum. So Yes - which way around you have the parents will have an effect on how the puppies evolve into adults.

Stephen xx

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Izzy's mum is a poodle but her dad is an American cocker, so she is inherently small with a shorter muzzle (from the American). A working cocker is larger. I wonder if most breeders use the cocker as the mum as they are likely to get bigger litters? Izzy seems to have the same characteristics as the other cockerpoos on the site, her hair is wavy to curly but she definately has a cockerpoo face. She doesn't shed at all, and this was important to me.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
The answer is no, a cockapoo can be bred using either mum or dad as the poodle and either mum or dad can be the cocker .... it is a 50% by 50% mix :) xxx

Go for it ...go meet your new puppy xxx

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I agree with JoJo, I know a beautiful Cockapoo locally who has a poodle mum and Cocker dad and I had no idea just from looking at her! She is lovely.:)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You will no doubt gets lots of views on this - however in our experience it is normally the mum as the Cocker and the dad as Poodle.
We believe (through personal experience of our own dogs and their pups) that the resultant puppy gets 60% from it's mum. So Yes - which way around you have the parents will have an effect on how the puppies evolve into adults.

Stephen xx
I have to disagree with you there Stephen as I have done in a previous thread with this comment. There is no way you can say that a the pup will inherit 60% from it's mum. I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence of how you calculated this theory with such accuracy.

Any crossbreed dog will inherit genes from both it's parents and it will be a bit of a lottery.

You will even find that one litter may contain different variables.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I have to disagree with you there Stephen as I have done in a previous thread with this comment. There is no way you can say that a the pup will inherit 60% from it's mum. I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence of how you calculated this theory with such accuracy.
Any crossbreed dog will inherit genes from both it's parents and it will be a bit of a lottery.
You will even find that one litter may contain different variables.
M&M's mummy - Do you breed dogs ???
Have you met any puppies / dogs from both variations of the cross ???
Are you not of the thinking that anyone going to see puppies should at least see the mum ???? (why would seeing the mum be more important than seeing the dad ???).

Again - I return to my original statement - "It is in MY experience..." - I am not imposing anything merely putting out a feeling and an opinion based on first hand "experience" - not read; not heard - but experienced x
(I know my mums and I know my dads - and if you care to view our videos - I would like to thinks that I know my puppies too).

Stephen xx

·
Registered
206 Posts
Are you not of the thinking that anyone going to see puppies should at least see the mum ???? (why would seeing the mum be more important than seeing the dad ???).

Again - I return to my original statement - "It is in MY experience..." - I am not imposing anything merely putting out a feeling and an opinion based on first hand "experience" - not read; not heard - but experienced x
(I know my mums and I know my dads - and if you care to view our videos - I would like to thinks that I know my puppies too).

Stephen xx
are we talking genes here?:eek: because if so everything inherits 50/50 from each parent, know one can know which characteristics will actually be inherited.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
If everything was only and always 50/50 - you would not get Evolution and Variation x

Stephen xx

....For those of you who hold the "Kennel Club" so dear and for those of you that still feel the mystical draw of "Pedigree" lines - and for those of you that think "Cockapoo" should conform to a "Standard" why come into the Cross Breed arena and bring that baggage with you ????? - Cockapoos are PETS - leave them alone - go back and get your own house in order before coming over here and wanting to mess ours up too !!!!!
:ilmc:

(100% totally MY opinion x)

Stephen xx

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi all .. I have a real life wasp sting experience going on in my kitchen but thought I would add to this thread.

I have seen a cockapoo from mum being a poodle and dad a cocker and seen many the other way around, in my opinion there is no difference in the overall outcome. No I have not bred them myself but I have been involved with breeding and as most know I have cared for a pregnant bitch, seen a few birth, oh and own 3 cockapoos.

I am interested in Stephens opinion as 'Opinions' make this forum so interesting but I am not 100% sure about the 60% figure, Stephen could you please explain so we all understand? :) is it 60% of size, colour, character or 60% of everything?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
i don't think you can properly predict 100% a percentage of which parent they will take after most, i mean we have several on hear who even in F1 are far more cocker or far more poodle to the point of not resembling the cockapoo breed at all.

i have 4 very different, all from cocker mums and poodle dad i have two pairs sharing the same dads and their dads are related as father and son. my eldest to are far more poodle than cocker, Echo is much more spaniel with a hairy face and Delta is a true mix i cant really say she favors one more than the other.

so i think its still pot luck what the puppy will look like.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Ok so we are talking F1 and F2 with my mini pack :

Oakley F2 cockapoo favours his F1 Dad
Honey F1 cockapoo favours her Cocker Spaniel Mum
Eevee F2 cockapoo favours her F1 Dad

This is who they favour in looks, if you want to know who they favour in personality or size I can let you know that too :S

It is a good topic and it is a great interest to me.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

Stephen xx
Well none of your comments has answered the question whatsoever :confused:

In your experience then how did you calculate a precise 60% that the dogs look like there mum??

Basic laws of genetics means that it will inherit from both parents and the only thing it would get from it's mum is it's ***.

Also you have disproved your own theory as in a thread "who does your cockapoo take after" you stated that one of your pup looks more like it's father than mother!!! ( was Pinto)

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Well none of your comments has answered the question whatsoever :confused:

In your experience then how did you calculate a precise 60% that the dogs look like there mum??
I am going to reiterate one final time on this forum. IT IS MY OPINION from many years of breeding and observing the results that mum has a slightly bigger influence on the offspring than dad. I AM NOT TALKING JUST ABOUT LOOKS !!! I am breeding pets and the character, personality traits and stamp, are IN MY OPINION more of the weight of this 60% than the looks. I do feel that there is way too much talk about how the Cockapoo looks, who cares all the variations are beautiful!

As family members surely how Cockapoo's ARE is way more import and than how standard they LOOK.

Disclaimer: The above is just my opinion, take as you will.

Julia

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
This breeders opinion and experience is that, in general, most cockapoo puppies are a bit more like mum than dad. Maybe others think otherwise, but that's their experience. Not sure what the problem is with that, I wouldn't worry about it. Just choose a breeder you like then go see a litter and pick the puppy with looks, temperament and colour that suits you best - simple.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
As I have said many times .. thank you Julia your opinion counts :)

Also others opinions count too and we can only talk from our own experiences ... my experience is that is can swing either way, favouring either mum or dad on looks, character, size... but a cockapoo is a mix of both pure breeds :)

I think I will leave this thread as we all have differing opinions on this topic, which is fine and all good ... I think I have shared my views xxxx

G

·
Strange how breeders who profess to know so much can't answer questions put to them at last we have members on here that will not blindly follow an inexperienced leader ? £££

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Strange how breeders who profess to know so much can't answer questions put to them at last we have members on here that will not blindly follow an inexperienced leader ? £££
I think JD (and it's them you are talking about here) have answered the question perfectly well - see their recent post above.

They are giving their opinion based on knowledge and experience their particular cross breed. I guess 60% is another way of saying "slightly more", lets not get hung up on a number.

And please credit us with a bit more intelligence than "blindly following an inexperience leader" - that's rather insulting to all of us who have done plenty of research on this, several of us having bought cockapoos from other breeders also.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.