I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 11 month old female mini cockapoo that we've had for about 8 months. She is super smart and is really a great dog. However, she has extreme isolation distress and we cannot even leave her for 5 minutes without her freaking out. If we leave for 4 hours, she will whimper, cry, bark, pant, and pace the entire time we are gone with no break. We have tried anxiety medication with no help. We are bringing in a professional trainer soon (everything was postponed due to covid).

Has anyone else experienced this with your cockapoo? Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks, Kaitlyn

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Separation anxiety is really tough to deal with. Molly did not cope with being left at all when I got her at 17 months.

To deal with it properly you need to not leave the dog at all whilst you are getting them used to tiny moments of being left that you can gradually build up. You need to get them comfortable with each amount of being left before you move on and you also need to desensitise them to things like you picking up keys and putting on shoes - so any of the things which probably make her anxious.

I had to take Molly everywhere with me for months or leave her with a friend and was only able to build up really gradually. She is now able to be left for a reasonable amount of time as long as she has had a walk first so it can be resolved but it is tough and whilst working through it you need to not leave them at all or it will undo all of your progress.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts