I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

We have a new puppy in the house! Jess. She is adorable. 9 weeks old.

She has had a visit to the vet and her first vacination.

We are struggling a bit with house training, yesterday she used the training pad 3 times but today the opposite, still very early days. She is resticted to the kitchen and utility and in her crate at night. Are we perhaps trying to train her too early?

Anyway here is a photo.

Paul.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
aww she is so cute, i dont think their is ever an age that is too early to train. we have a 7week old cockapoo on the forum who was papper trained by the breeder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the book 'How to housetrain your dog in 7 days' and belive it or not 16 weeks is the recommendation!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
all my girls were different, Gypsu our first we got at mabe 11-12 weeks old when we got her, she lernt with is nthe first 2 or 3 days.

Inca we got at 8weeks, she was close to 8 months old before she was compleatly dry in the house

and Echo we got at 8 weeks took maybe a week to get it.

so they are all different

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Welcome to the site Paul. Good luck with the training! We have a lot of knowledgable people here who can help you if you have any questions. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi again all, we are a bit confused about feeding. Our breeder gave us some food to be fed 1 tablespoon 4 times a day. When should we up this/reduce the frequency? She 'wolfs' it down in seconds and always seems to need more. She is now just over 2kg.

Thanks all.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
what food is she on. 5 months is generaly the age you drop a meal so you split the same amount of food between three meals.

if you feel she needs more food then up her meals, its ok for a puppy to have a little bit of fat as they grow, but i like to be able to feel the ribs without having to press to hard.

you will find that you will be able to tell if she need more or less food as she gets older. just play it by ear. you also tend to find that most pups with pick what meal they want dropped ie if the are fed first ting in the morning, lunch time, tea time and a coupel of hour before bed. iv always found it to be the lounch time meal that they turn their nose up at.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks. She is eating Eukanuba, Small dog puppy food. We have just upped the daily amount to 150g as per the instructions on the bag spread over 4 meals. This seems to be better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts