I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My cockapoo is now 4 months old. When we go on walks he tends to jump on the back of my legs and sometimes he even bites me. It does seem that he does it out of excitement or an outburst of emotions. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and how to solve it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Digby went through a similar phase, but it was his lead that he jumped up at and tried to chew and rag it. We thought it was just too much excitement too- it often happened either before or after we encountered something new or meeting a favourite dog. We’ve learned with previous dogs how hard it is to teach them NOT to do something, it’s much easier to show them what you do want them to do. What worked for us was using high value treats to ask him to sit (always making sure we had stepped out of the way of any distractions). We held him in the sit with lots of treats and gentle praise until settled then took him into a close walk with treats until he was walking in a calm rhythm then released him to a loose lead. It took a bit of practice, but it paid off as it seldom happens now and he knows the routine now if it does. You’d need to have a solid sit command in place before you tried this. Others might have other advice too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Digby went through a similar phase, but it was his lead that he jumped up at and tried to chew and rag it. We thought it was just too much excitement too- it often happened either before or after we encountered something new or meeting a favourite dog. We’ve learned with previous dogs how hard it is to teach them NOT to do something, it’s much easier to show them what you do want them to do. What worked for us was using high value treats to ask him to sit (always making sure we had stepped out of the way of any distractions). We held him in the sit with lots of treats and gentle praise until settled then took him into a close walk with treats until he was walking in a calm rhythm then released him to a loose lead. It took a bit of practice, but it paid off as it seldom happens now and he knows the routine now if it does. You’d need to have a solid sit command in place before you tried this. Others might have other advice too.
Thanks so much for the advice, I’ll definitely try this!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts