I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Freddy gets excited he jumps (not up at us, but in front of us or to the side) but he can jump with all four feet clearing the floor and often it can be at least (if not more) 2 feet in the air!! :eek:

Do I have a particularly bouncy cockapoo or do you have a cockapoo that jumps like Freddy? I also wondered which breed he gets this from? Oh and is he likely to grow out of this?!!

Natasha

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Dylan is obsessed with the ball-chucker and will leap into the air to catch the ball after it bounces. He is getting really good now and will catch it maybe half the time.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I also wondered which breed he gets this from? Oh and is he likely to grow out of this?!!
Poodles tend to be more lean and as such better at jumping then a cocker, but both breeds to tend to be bouncy. Jumping is self rewarding, so he most likely won't just grow out of it. You'll need to do some training! This video goes over some simple exercises on how to teach your dog to stop jumping on you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC_OKgQFgzw

Helen- 'Lo does that to! I often bring a tennis ball along on our walks, and 'Lo loves to jump after the balls first bounce and slag it out of the air. At first I thought I though it was just a fluke, but she's really mastered the move now.

·
Registered
606 Posts
mine are both jumpers - we call them mountain goats, as they have to get to the highest bit of anything !
They both go on my son's trampoline as well, which is easily 4ft off the ground, with no problem at all and then they play on it !
My brother in law used to have a poodle and he was a jumper.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Izzy jumps - I put a thread on here a few months ago as I was worried about her hurting herself and whether it could be the cause of the limping. However the vet says no, she can do what she wants to do. She has also mastered the in air ball catch and amuses all the local dog walkers when she bounces across a field like a deer. I put a tunnel and three jumps in my garden which she loves. Funny little things these cockatoos!

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Jumping is in their blood! Ziggy our miniature poodle stud dog is an amazing jumper. We have a dog paddock with 4'6" anti climb horse fencing. It keeps all the other dogs in place but we have discovered that if there is a bitch in season he can scale it with ease. Also because we use working cocker spaniel mum's they are very athletic and will jump very high to catch balls. Maybe you could have fun with agility, flyball etc?

Julia

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts