I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just picked up my 9 week old black cockapoo called Poppy. So far tonight she hasn't let me out of her sight and cried in her crate. Not looking forward to tonight but determined to stay strong and not go to her! Look forward to reading more posts soon!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hi & welcome!
How exciting :D We brought our Poppy home 2 & a half weeks ago as well :D
What cocker x poodle cross is she?
& what colour is she?
If you ever need help or advice don't be afraid to start a thread as there are many people on here with advice that will be able to help :D
Good luck tonight! Our Poppy is terrible in a crate at night.
We've been naughty & after nearly 2 weeks still unsettled & keeping us up she now sleeps in my mums room on the floor, tut tut!
But hope your crate training works for you :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi & welcome!
How exciting :D We brought our Poppy home 2 & a half weeks ago as well :D
What cocker x poodle cross is she?
& what colour is she?
If you ever need help or advice don't be afraid to start a thread as there are many people on here with advice that will be able to help :D
Good luck tonight! Our Poppy is terrible in a crate at night.
We've been naughty & after nearly 2 weeks still unsettled & keeping us up she now sleeps in my mums room on the floor, tut tut!
But hope your crate training works for you :)
Thanks for the reply! Our Poppy is jet black with a tiny white/grey bib. She is working cocker x miniature poodle. She is so sweet!! I hope she settles quickly in the crate as it will break my heart otherwise!!

Hope your Poppy settles soon!

Thanks,
J.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Our Poppy is jet black with a tiny white/grey bib. She is working cocker x miniature poodle. She is so sweet!! I hope she settles quickly in the crate as it will break my heart otherwise!!

Hope your Poppy settles soon!

Thanks,
J.
No problem :) It's lovely to have new members & new puppies!
She sounds lovely :) Would love to see some pictures when you've taken some :) & I hope she settles in the crate for you as well!

Poppy is very settled now :) As long as she is on the floor in my mums room ;) Haha, she hates being in the kitchen on her own in the crate :/
It could be partly to do with her knowing that Izzie was upstairs with us (as we couldn't just put her downstairs when the new pup came when she's slept in our rooms for so long) She did sleep in a crate though until she was a little older... Then we let her in the rooms because it made her much happier :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoping not to start down that route. I don't want her upstairs at all! That's the theory anyway! Just done last wee and poo run and she has gone back in crate though can see me. Hoping to sneak off to bed in a min!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
That's fair enough, it's not everyones thing :) But as they don't moult everywhere it doesn't bother me at all if Izzie sleeps on my bedroom floor :) & Poppy has already mastered the stairs! So if she just disappears we know where she is! but she can't get back down again haha.

Although a lot of people say the dog won't go on the sofa or go upstairs etc & end up totally in love & totally soft & let them do it anyway ;) So we'll see how you turn out :D

Good luck sneaking off to bed! Hope your first night isn't too bad :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Welcome Jane & Poppy.

Another Poppy and my favourite colour. Rosie is the same a tuxedo with a white chin and 3 white feet.
We got our Poppy 2 years ago this weekend she was going to be called Coco but we changed our mind because it was remembrance weekend.

They are great dogs and you will have lots of fun with her. And this is a wonderful place to share your experiences and pick up some good advice.

Stick with the crate training it is hard but is well worth it in the end, I have read that you don't want too let her upstairs, but you could start with the crate in your bedroom and move it out to the landing and then down stairs as she gets used to it. Poppy was down stairs from the start, but Rosie started in our bedroom and was the easiest to train. They now sleep together on the half landing. Both are happy to sleep together in a crate when we are away from home, and are crated in the car.

Welcome again and hope to read your adventures together.
Colin

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Hi hope all goes well. Have to say I don't see the bedroom as any different from any other room but that is my preference.
I agree Sue. Dexter comes into all the bedrooms and has little interest in them really. He acts as my daughter's alarm clock. I let him into her room when it's time for her to wake up. She loves to be woken up with kisses and cuddles from him!
I'm not sure why some people don't let their dogs upstairs I can never understand it. But each to his own of course.

Sorry I meant to add welcome and Jane and Poppy! (St Alban's is fast becoming Cockapoo land!)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi all,

I have just picked up my 9 week old black cockapoo called Poppy. So far tonight she hasn't let me out of her sight and cried in her crate. Not looking forward to tonight but determined to stay strong and not go to her! Look forward to reading more posts soon!
Hi and welcome Jane and Poppy:)
We only picked up our puppy last weekend, and have not had a dog before.You'll find loads of advice on here.
We are crate training Stevie and leave her in the utility room, it has got better although one night last week she was quiet ,and the next night she cried for about 20 mins.Last night was only a few mins whimpers and then she was fine all night, so hopefully we are heading in the right direction.
Only problem now is that at bedtime she realised what's happening and doesn't want to go in her crate.:eek:

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Welcome, I hope your first night was ok!!!
I too had no intentions of letting any dogs in my room or even upstairs and up until getting a cockapoo found this no problem.................now its all change, they go where the hell they like and I don't even know how it happened. They have a way of making you do what they want you to without you even realising :rolleyes:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for a very warm welcome to the forum.

Poppy did so well last night it was amazing! After crying in her crate I decided to move it into the living room so she could see me whilst I was on the couch. She was a bit restless but at midnight I took her out for a final poo and wee and then she settled down back in her cage in a manner that suggested she was down for the night.

I didn't hear anything last night even though I woke a million times! Went down at 7am and she was sitting in her crate and went straight to the garden to relieve herself! Truly perfect! Hoping it wasnt a fluke and tonight will be similar!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
aw congrats on a good night! The first few nights are killer ;) My Vincent broke my heart when he realised he wasn't going to be with us for the night! But we stuck through and he's now doing well, although he's still fussy about the crate (he's a people puppy :p)

Welcome to the forum!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.