I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do any of you take your pups kayaking? We put Waldo in ours when he was pretty young -- maybe 3 months -- With a life vest (I'll dig out a photo it's hysterical). He does okay if there is only one of us on the water, but if both my husband and I are out it's a battle keeping him in the kayak. We now just let him fall off and swim to the other person, but as soon as he is in the kayak he throws a fit and wants to be back in the original boat.

I'm wondering if anyone has done training for this sort of thing? We have recreational kayaks, 10 ft, so it's not an option to have him sit in a front hatch, he needs to either be in the cockpit with us, or (in the future) standing on the front.

lifevest by badgerbunny, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Wow, that sounds a lot of fun! I wish I could get Rufus to swim .....I think! When he was tiny he fell into the canal twice and went right under. He's had a healthy respect for water ever since! He adores going in water as long as his paws are firmly on the bottom!

My teenage kids have recently done some kayaking and the canal is just 2 mins walk .......hmmmmmn.

Karen and Rufus x

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Even if we kayak right next to each other he has an absolute fit! I made the mistake early on of letting him sit in my lap while kayaking :ugh: so if he gets too stressed that's where he heads. Cute when he was 8 lbs not so cute now that he is pushing 15...

The life vest is awesome because of the handle - we can easily lift him in and out of the kayaks. I highly suggest this for anyone near water! Plus it's easy to hold onto while they paddle like crazy -- easy way to get a pooped pup!

I hadn't really thought about the herding us together thing though -- and since he tends to do that anyway, of course he would want to do it on the water! He's a very strong swimmer so I am looking forward to next year when he can swim in the ponds and lakes behind us more than he rides with us.

handle by badgerbunny, on Flickr

·
Registered
158 Posts
We used to kayak regularly and loved it but our JRT is terrified of any type of on water craft. She lives swimming but put her in anything and she panics uncontrollably.

Have not been for some years as a result. I live in hope that one day we will find a solution and maybe try an open boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts