I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A vet group near us offer this type of spaying, which, I am led to believe, only removes the ovaries. It is much less invasive and recovery is very quick. More expensive of course:rolleyes:

Has anyone here experience of the procedure?

Many thanks

Paul.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Some further info:

http://www.nuvet.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=11

This is a safer, less invasive method of surgery that will give your pet much smaller wounds, less post operative pain and discomfort and a quicker recovery.

In a conventional spay a large incision is made to allow the surgeon good visualisation and handling and both the uterus and the ovaries are removed (ovariohysterectomy). Although this is an everyday procedure, it is major surgery as anyone who has had a hysterectomy will know!

However with keyhole surgery very small holes are made through the skin and muscles into the body (usually around 5mm diameter) through which a camera and long, slender, surgical instruments can be introduced to perform the surgery inside the body with maximum precision and minimal invasion.

The surgeon has excellent visualisation through the camera during the operation and can be certain that there are no complications before the wounds are stitched.

A keyhole spay is far less traumatic and only the ovaries are removed (ovariectomy).

There is no difference in the effect of the two operations and both techniques will stop the bitch from coming into season (what's more the uterine disease pyometra is still avoided as ovaries are required to contract the disease).

I think we are inclined to have Jess spayed this way.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hi Paul - wish I had seen this last week before Beau was spayed as definitely looks like a better way to have them spayed though have never heard of it before your thread! :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I've heard of this but it's not that widely done yet in the UK, not sure why, and I think is more common in the US.

I would have considered it if my vet had offered it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard of this but it's not that widely done yet in the UK, not sure why, and I think is more common in the US.

I would have considered it if my vet had offered it.
I am led to believe it has been in common use in Europe for about 15 years on young healthy dogs. It is felt that there is no need to subject an otherwise healthy dog to the more invasive operation when a suitable alternative exists.

'Studies have shown that the less intrusive operation means a shorter recovery time, less trauma for the dog, less dangr of operative complications. Researchers have also seen less incidence of post-spay incontinence; there has been no increase of pyo compared to dogs who have had the uterus taken out (stump pyo) as well as the ovaries.'

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Paul - wish I had seen this last week before Beau was spayed as definitely looks like a better way to have them spayed though have never heard of it before your thread! :)
We have been keeping an eye on your thread recently and are sad you are still having problems. Hopefully the ABs will kick in soon. Love from us all.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I am led to believe it has been in common use in Europe for about 15 years on young healthy dogs. It is felt that there is no need to subject an otherwise healthy dog to the more invasive operation when a suitable alternative exists.

'Studies have shown that the less intrusive operation means a shorter recovery time, less trauma for the dog, less dangr of operative complications. Researchers have also seen less incidence of post-spay incontinence; there has been no increase of pyo compared to dogs who have had the uterus taken out (stump pyo) as well as the ovaries.'
I completely agree with it in principal, but as i said my vets don't do it, not sure why, so just went with what they do as standard as my vets is a two minute walk from where i live and i really like them so figured that was the best option.

i would be interested to know why it isn't common in the UK though.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I'm going to talk to my vet about it, I'm sure they don't do it. I'll see if I can locate anywhere that does. I would be prepared to go to another vet to have it done if it's an option, will need to investigate. Thanks Paul :)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Is your vet happy with that? We have another practice, who have a fairly new hospital 10 miles away, I'll see if they offer it, it's not mentioned on the website. I don't like them much because they wouldn't see my cat in an emergency when he was hit by a car and we had to drive 30 miles to emergency vet hospital :( but I won't cut off my nose to spite my face!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi Paul,thanks for this info as im going to be wanting to have Pixie done in the next 3 or 4 mnths,there is a place in Norwich that does it,do you know just how expensive it is?:)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hi Paul,thanks for this info as im going to be wanting to have Pixie done in the next 3 or 4 mnths,there is a place in Norwich that does it,do you know just how expensive it is?:)
Hi Becky - I have just looked up Taverham Vets as they are the emergency vets for us and they do keyhole surger to may be worth giving them a look :D XX

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cost wise we were quoted £200 'all in' (ie drugs and collar)for the standard spay and £300 for keyhole, again inc. drugs and t-shirt!

Would be interested to hear any other quotes and locations.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Thanks Paul, its certainly worth looking into ... although Surrey wasn't on the list I'll ring around some local vets.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
We paid £147 for the standard spay but have looked at Taverham Vets in Norfolk and their website says the first and only practice in East Anglia to offer the keyhole though don't know the price but you can view the keyhole surgery photos on their website and if I had known about keyhole I would have taken a look at their practice as it is our emergency vets anyway! :D

1 - 20 of 68 Posts