I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
This is my first post. :)I have really enjoyed your forum and have learnt such a lot already thank-you!. Just love the stories and photos!
We are hoping to get a Cockapoo puppy in the near future and are at the stage of trying to find one.
We live in Hampshire and have 3 children.
Can anyone help share advice about whether it would work to have a kitten
and a Cockapoo? Does anyone have any experience of this?If so, which should we get first? We wouldn't get a kitten if everyone thought it was a bad idea and would really welcome your experience.
Thank-you very much.

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Hi, sorry don't have a cat so can't help there but wanted to say :welcome: to the forum and happy searching for your perfect puppy!

Clare
x

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Welcome! I've heard that cockapoos seem to like the idea of playing with cats but that some cats are weary of the dogs, but maybe if they're both young they'd get used to it & make friends? Personally I don't have experience i've just heard that :)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I don’t have a cat or kittten .. but others will be able to help you on here ...

Great to hear you are getting a puppy ... yippy

My cockapoos do not seem that interested in cats in our neighbourhood though ...

Cockapoos in my opinion are quite excepting dogs, mix well with other dogs, great with kids ... so I would not imagine a cat or kitten to phase them, but each dog is different. I will say all this them my two will chase a cat tonight on our walk lol ...

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
dont do it. we have awals had cats and dogs but the cats were ,much older than the dogs.

but just before we got Delta we got a kitten and they have been trouble winding eachother up. anf because he plays with her she thinks the older cats will play where as the others never botherd with them uther than a quick lick.

will nevet get a kitten and a puppy at the same time it makes everything harder.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I had cats first, my cavalier k.c. spaniel and siamese loved each other, slept in the same bed. Currently have a cat who came in when dog was 7, dog tries to play, cat runs, dog chases :( I'm trying to teach puppy not to chase....
I think having dog first might be better, or get them very close together, the key is for the cat not to run, or the dog not to chase :D Good luck!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi I have had dogs and cats together for some years. The cats came first and it was made plain to the dogs that the cats were higher ranked in 'the pack' i.e. Cats fed first and dogs not allowed to touch the cats food, puppies told off for interfering with them etc.
My cats took a little while to get used to the puppies. The look on their faces when presented with a new puppy is priceless, what the heck is that Mum about sums it up! but they all become great friends in time.
Stanley is very fond of Sophie, who at 18 is doing very well coping with the fourth puppy in her family.
Its your family and provided you keep an eye on things there's no reason why you couldn't have both.
Best of luck!
Gill x

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Hi I have had dogs and cats together for some years. The cats came first and it was made plain to the dogs that the cats were higher ranked in 'the pack' i.e. Cats fed first and dogs not allowed to touch the cats food, puppies told off for interfering with them etc.
My cats took a little while to get used to the puppies. The look on their faces when presented with a new puppy is priceless, what the heck is that Mum about sums it up! but they all become great friends in time.
Stanley is very fond of Sophie, who at 18 is doing very well coping with the fourth puppy in her family.
Its your family and provided you keep an eye on things there's no reason why you couldn't have both.
Best of luck!
Gill x
Wow 18! Bless her, maybe the puppies are keeping her young :D

I used to have a cat, George, who I know would HATE Vincent.... He was very laid back and didn't like running or play fighting. I think it would all depend on the temprement of both the kitten and the dog.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi there

Welcome to the forum! I don’t have a Cockapoo yet either but like you have read the posts with interest.

We have three adult cats who’ve never lived with a dog before – I’m dreading the first introduction when we bring the puppy home. Gill, your suggestion about feeding the cats first was very useful, thank you. If you have any further tips I’d be much appreciated.

I don’t have any experience with puppies (this will be our first) but have had cats all my life. I would think that getting a kitten and a puppy at the same time would work really well – youngsters are so much more accepting than adults. In an ideal world this is how I’d have liked to have done it. The kitten and the puppy should make friends, play together and sleep together as well… getting them at the same time will also prevent jealousy later on. I think this video says it all…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcwgjGnmGRc

Are you intending on getting a pedigree kitten? Most reputable breeders will only sell you a pair (contrary to what people think cats can get very lonely) but may consider selling you one if it would have the company of a puppy. You also wouldn’t be able to bring a pedigree kitten home until 13 weeks. However if you were thinking of getting a moggie these two rules wouldn’t apply. Either way, kittens tend to be litter trained from seven/eight weeks and so you won’t have the worry of having to house train to young pets at the same time.

I hope this helps.

Turi x

·
Registered
853 Posts
When I was younger we had a springer spaniel puppy and a kitten. The kitten came first by a few weeks. Trained as a gun dog, so very gentle, Barney would lick the kitten until she was soaked. She'd happily just sit there and snake round his legs purring.

However, I tried to introduce Nacho to my mums young cat the other day and they were terrified of each other. Both sniffed and ran in opposite directions but I reckon with a bit of persaverence they could be friends. Like said in other posts, pups can be quite boisterous and the key is not let the pup chase and play bite the kitten. x

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Betty is 4 1/2 Months old. We have a nine year old cat. Despite lots of effort
they are still not best of friends. Betty just wants to play but Molly just
hisses at her and lashes out if betty gets too close. Molly has relegated herself to areas of the house where she can't be got at whcih upsets me a bit.
I had hoped things would be easier as the breeder also had cats ( part of the reason for choosing the breeder) Hoping things will still improve in time. Good luck with whatever you decide

·
Registered
37 Posts
We have 3 cats and all behaved very differently when we brought Lucca home 2 months ago. Our 9 year-old moggie Alfie is "whatever" and does not react at all to anything Lucca tries to do; Noa, 2 year-old Maine **** lets him gets very close but hisses if she feels he is getting too near & Brodie, 5 yr-old Ragdoll always runs away. This is a big mistake as Lucca then justs wants to play and therefore gives chase! I think overall that cats and dogs can live alongside each other but the personality of each will play a big part. Good luck in whatever you decide x

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Go for it, it sounds like lots of fun. I had a 16 year old cat when I bought Izzy and it was hopeless, cat hissed and swiped, Puppy chased. So two young animals should, hopefully, have a chance of getting on. Kittens a breeze to look after compared to a puppy, which is like having a baby for the first time but worse!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the helpful replies. Really interesting to hear your experiences.
I was thinking we might get a rescue kitten,not a pedigree, but still thinking about it.
Really appreciate your help!

Now I need to find a Cockapoo in the South of uk from a recommended breeder...anyone able to help? Have a lovely weekend- great to see the sunshine back!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Try breedersonline, I live up north so definitely can't recommend a breeder down there, but good luck finding your perfect pup! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. Have tried Breedersonline and just emailed a few more breeders, but really like to get a personal recommendation if possible. So keen to get the right pup for our family.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts