I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi. Okay, so I don't know any better - but I bought a puppy kong and a treat for it which was too big for the hole. Should I cut it up and put it inside so it rattles around? How does the dog get the treat (or the fun food recipes above) out of the kong? I've never used one.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I tend to just smear a thin coating if peanut butter or cream cheese and jasper spends ages just licking it for the tasty bits. I also fill it to the brim with a combo of an inch of banana mashed with cream cheese and peanut butter. I only ever give him a teaspoon of peanut butter or cream cheese at a time though. also peanut butter cream cheese and cooked mashed sweet potato work well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you JasperBlack. And once it is filled, how does the pup get it out? Just with his tongue? I guess it is just something I need to try. How do you clean it? Seems to me with all the goo in there that it would get rancid after awhile.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
They get most of it out themselves with ther toinge. but you can clean it with a bottle brush or pop it in the dishwasher. or stick biskets in the bottom of it so that the sticky stuff stays in the bi that is easier for the dog to get to. you kinda have to finde your own method of using and cleaning it.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
We bought the medium puppy kong for Max and he adores it. He loves playing fetch with it and he adores chewing it. He adores it filled with ham, cheese, peanut butter etc. he also adores just holding it in his mouth like a big dummy! ;)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Yes they just lick it! I bought a set with a baby's bottle brush and a small one (for the bottle teats) the little one is perfect for the puppy kong, I then stick it in the dishwasher! Your right they do get gunky at the bottom. You can also freeze the filling by sticking a filled kong in the freezer, last longer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
So far I have done mashed banana with natural pro biotic yoghurt which I froze. And I have also put a few dogs of cream cheese init and frozen it. Usually do that if we are going out and leaving him. Set the iPad up to record him when we were out, starts off with him in shot worrying the kong, then he picks it up and takes it in his crate off shot, we then have an hour and a half of nothing but a shot of some discarded toys and kitchen floor. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
So far I have done mashed banana with natural pro biotic yoghurt which I froze. And I have also put a few dogs of cream cheese init and frozen it. Usually do that if we are going out and leaving him. Set the iPad up to record him when we were out, starts off with him in shot worrying the kong, then he picks it up and takes it in his crate off shot, we then have an hour and a half of nothing but a shot of some discarded toys and kitchen floor. :)
Do you just leave it recording or is there an motion activated app?

·
Registered
161 Posts
We've started using the treat filled Kong if the boys have to go in their crate for a short period during the day if we need to pop out so they associate it with being a good place. We used oven dried yams yesterday which went down well!

·
Registered
25 Posts
So on our first shopping trip for puppy goods to day, we looked at the Kong's along with many other toys. The trouble is one of my wife's allegories is having a severe reaction to latex / rubber.

Bit of a problem that for many dogs toys. Does anyone know if you can get something similar to the Kong that is not rubber. I'm guessing probably not as I can't think of anything else that could stand up to the treatment they would get.

But if anyone knows of anything, please let me know.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
2 Posts
We use a mixture of peanut butter and kibble. As he is a puppy we put a couple of cubes of cheddar which he is wild for. I am defo going to add some carrot and apple now. Also the calming recipe will be useful for when we have to go out and leave him occasionally. Thanks for the recipes!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts