I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I found that anythIng dairy based would upset Poppy's tum (where-as mouldy rabbit carcass is fine :confused::rolleyes:) so I used to poach chicken thighs (we were using chicken as treats for quite a while) and use the stock to freeze in the kong mixed with kibble. I used a kibble to block the end up and then stood several kongs in egg cups in a bowl, filled with kibble and stock and froze. I don't even mess about this much for my own flipping food :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried my 8 week old pup with cottage cheese and kibble in his first kong today, I think the cheese upset his stomach a little :(

Will try him with peanut butter and the other tasty fillings!

·
Registered
Ruby, 11 weeks, cockapoo
6 Posts
I'm so glad I found this post, Ruby is coming up 12 weeks, I got her a puppy kong yesterday and put a few bits of kibble in there for her, thinking "oh it will take a while to figure this out, I'll have time for a shower"
Gave Ruby the kong in her crate feeling quite smug and watched for a minute to make sure she figured it out. Well not 5 minutes later my youngest comes banging on the bathroom door "mum Ruby is growling at that blue toy you gave her she sounds really angry"

She had emptied it and was (I think) frustrated there were no more tasty treats coming out of it.
She did sit and chew it for a little bit, but soon ignored it other than the occasional swipe at it with her paw.

We tried again last night with a few of her training treats and I sat watching, she is a clever lil devil picked it up in her mouth small end first and tipped it up so treats fell out (there was maybe 3 bits left) and then flung it around until she got the last bits out. She again took a swipe at it and ignored it once it was empty.

So I'm going to have a look when I go shopping for peanut butter (any particular type? I'm in the UK) and some fruit and veg to put in hers and cream cheese (again any particular type?)

Definitely need something longer lasting so I can get a proper shower!

·
Registered
Teddy Bear
152 Posts
I have a 11 week old puppy
I put peanut butter in his, any will do as long as no Xylitol
havent tried cream cheese yet
we put peanut butter in the Kong and freeze it
lasts longer
Gold Luck
our puppy is potty trained at 11 weeks
They are smart

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have seen a lot of people recommending kongs stuffed with things to keep puppies entertained. Would these be suitable even for a 9/10 week old puppy who is definitely on the small side? Could anyone recommend a good one and some tasty fillings?

Yes we use a Kong, a slightly bigger one now for the bigger sized pup. We have found Carrot, Cheese, Sausage (small amount) Celery and pepper are his favourite and mixing up what goes in there gives variety- However the younger the puppy i think you can use cream cheese in small amounts.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts