I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I wanted to ask a lead Walking question for the older Cockapoo owners.

We are in the middle of lead training our 6 month old Cockapoo Roly.

We are asking him to walk to heel and treating when he's in a good position. We are finding when we go to places we go all the time, he walks fine on the lead and we feel great about this.

If we take him somewhere else that has things he can sniff like grass on the side of the pavement for example, he is a nightmare and constantly pulls. He also constantly wees and marks his territory.

The question I had is, is this just something puppies grow out off if we keep up the lead training? Do they suddenly get bored one day and not get as interested with sniffing grass? Can the older dog members remember what age their puppies started walking well on the lead?

I'm desperate for him to walk nice on the lead as I love hiking and want to take him in Spring next year.

Thanks for your help and I will take any advice on lead Walking

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I wanted to ask a lead Walking question for the older Cockapoo owners.

We are in the middle of lead training our 6 month old Cockapoo Roly.

We are asking him to walk to heel and treating when he's in a good position. We are finding when we go to places we go all the time, he walks fine on the lead and we feel great about this.

If we take him somewhere else that has things he can sniff like grass on the side of the pavement for example, he is a nightmare and constantly pulls. He also constantly wees and marks his territory.

The question I had is, is this just something puppies grow out off if we keep up the lead training? Do they suddenly get bored one day and not get as interested with sniffing grass? Can the older dog members remember what age their puppies started walking well on the lead?

I'm desperate for him to walk nice on the lead as I love hiking and want to take him in Spring next year.

Thanks for your help and I will take any advice on lead Walking
Hi Richard,

We have a near- 1 year old now that we rehomed at 8 months. She had zero lead training and we couldn't walk two steps without her barking at us.

Nearly 4 months later - 3 training walks a day, 100s of thousands of steps, countless miles and a LOT of sausages later the fruits of our labour are starting to pay off.
We realised we were doing too much too soon. Even now, we're doing small loops of familiar streets and parks without a huge amount of distractions so that she can really get used to how she is meant to walk and we can really reinforce good behaviour. Any slight tension in the lead and we stop dead, stay silent until she comes back to us, and then continue the walk. It's cool if she wants to sniff so long as she doesn't pull to get there.
We also throw in a town / forest walk every now and then to test her but also to expose her and let her blow off some steam.

We also realised we were talking to her far too much. Instruction after instruction whereas when we just chilled a little, she kind of fell in to place looking for her treat.

It takes a lot of time and effort, but she now knows the left is where she has to be. There's very little zig-zagging in her walks now. Don't get me wrong, it's still frustrating some days, but we're getting there. We were at the point where she was walking 'ok'. Probably 80% where we wanted her, but the last 10/20% feels like a big slog. We'll get there and so will you. Be consistent. I'm no expert but we had 1-2-1 training and we're starting to see it paying off.....

Now to stop the nipping and over-excitement 😂😭😭

1 - 3 of 3 Posts