I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any helpful tips to get a puppy to "leave" it! Rufus has been very quick to pick up on all the other commands but we are really struggling with this one. He either thinks its a game or has now started to growl when we try and remove whatever it is from his mouth. :(

At puppy training we learnt the closed fist and open hand with a treat and he does this perfectly but anything else is a no no.

Any suggestions would be great

Anna x x

· Registered
8,636 Posts
If you hold a treat in one hand , maybe guard it by putting one finger out, show it to him but tell him to leave , he will go for it ,dont let him have it, as soon as he moves his nose away from it treat him but with a treat from your other hand.

Rubbish picture but hope this makes some kind of sense x

· Registered
3,583 Posts
I was taught at training classes, to use Leave It, before they actually got hold of the offending item. Easier said than done ;) They said that once its in the mouth its much harder to retrieve the offending item (I can agree with that!)

It is a really difficult command for dogs to want to listen to, but stick with it and it does sink in (most times). I do use Leave It if I see something I don't want Millie to have. And if she gets something in her mouth before I can stop her, I use Give. If it's something really tasty its really difficult to get her to Give up on her prize. I have to almost bribe her with a treat to swap it over.

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was taught at training classes, to use Leave It, before they actually got hold of the offending item. Easier said than done ;) They said that once its in the mouth its much harder to retrieve the offending item (I can agree with that!)

It is a really difficult command for dogs to want to listen to, but stick with it and it does sink in (most times). I do use Leave It if I see something I don't want Millie to have. And if she gets something in her mouth before I can stop her, I use Give. If it's something really tasty its really difficult to get her to Give up on her prize. I have to almost bribe her with a treat to swap it over.
That's exactly what we got taught but like you said easier said then done. This morning he was very good when I said leave it before he got anything. Maybe I will try GIVE once he has something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Anna
I see you're only in Watford. Do you ever go on any of the Poo Meets?
I live I oxhey village right next door to all the Attenborough fields. I haven't been to any meets but hoping to come to the ashridge one next Sunday. Karen kindly asked if I wanted to meet at cassiobury a couple of weeks ago but I work full time so wasn't able to make it. Where are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.