I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coco is nearly 6 months old and seems obsessed with food. When I try to train him to sit, down etc he just keeps edging towards me and is really excited for the food. When I give him a treat before bed he goes mental. How do I calm him down.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Its good to train them when they are a bit hungry as they are more focused, however I'm wondering if he is actually hungry !
How many feeds a day does he have ?
Maybe his food isn't satisfying him !
Just a thought !:)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
for the sit, just put him back in the starting position, or get a cheep door mat and teach him he only gets the treat if he stays on that.

do you get him to sit stay before ge gets to his dinner?

you just need to work on his respect around food. hold a treat in a closed fist, he doesnt get it till he leaves your hand alone, never let him get the full treat in one go only let him have little bits. the probem can be that once they get the treat they dont think they have to behave anymore. where as if they only get a little bt they know their is still more so thing stil have to listen to you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes I get him to sit before he gets his dinner and he waits for me to put it down, he just seems over excited or starving. On a good note he never takes food from my 20month old son who walks around eating.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
well that is good that he doesn't steal food from your son. small treats and lots of training is what I would suggest...and lots of the leave it command!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts