I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been letting wellers coat grow as I think he looks his best with a full coat but this year, his second, his coat is a bloody nightmare!!!!
Last time he had a full coat it was his puppy coat and for most of this year I have kept it on the shorter side. So have kept away with the clippers for months now, BAD IDEA. Although I regularly groom him, matts spring up from nowhere and have ended scalping the poor love to get rid of all the matts. Most of which I didn't find until going over him with the clippers. He looks very very naked and although he must feel better he is sulking, big time!:eek:
Worst of all were his feet and they stank.
So little word of advice, once your poo gets his/her adult coat, keep it shorter unless you can commit to lots and lots of grooming time, from my experience the adult coat matts in the blink of an eye:eek::eek:
Please don't arrange any meets for a few weeks as I think weller will be too embrrassed to be seem out in public:D:behindsofa:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think we need to see a photo Karen ... I'm sure all our poos have had to have a severe groom at some stage.:rolleyes:

I also love the full coat but with Maisie it would be totally impractical ... she has candy floss hair that mats in the blink of an eye. Not sure about Bess yet as she's still got the puppy coat ... will have to wait and see ... shame they can't keep the puppy coat forever! :) S x

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Monty says not to be embarrassed Weller as he has his coat clipped short and that the nice grooming lady does it for him :) because when mummy & daddy tried it when he was younger it was more akin to a pudding basin haircut that kids had years ago and he lost all his street cred. :D

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Definitely need a photo Karen! :)

I need to do Daisy tonight as I have missed a couple of days. Hers keep springing up under her armpit area (I know they don't have arms but I don't know what to call that bit! :) ). Maybe Daisy's will get like wellers? I must admit I am tempted to take her to the groomers after her season but worried what she might come back like. Our local groomer appears to only have one setting on her clippers judging by the local dogs around here who go! :eek:

Don't worry Weller, you will be a handsome boy again by the time the January meet comes round! :D

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
im sure it will grow back in no time at all.pyper has a right bald haircut just now,well she did a few weeks ago its starting to growback now but the groomer wasnt meant to clip her that short,she wasnt matted but her coat is an absolute nightmare to keep so im actually enjoying the short coat,definately need pics!! x

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Can i ask Karen how has his coat changed?? Is it alot thicker? tight curls??

At the moment Buddys puppy coat is lovely very soft and just wavy its really easy to comb through weve never had any matts,what happens when it changes to an adult coat??

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Can i ask Karen how has his coat changed?? Is it alot thicker? tight curls??

At the moment Buddys puppy coat is lovely very soft and just wavy its really easy to comb through weve never had any matts,what happens when it changes to an adult coat??
I'm not the expert Donna but I remember with Maisie it was about 7 months of age ... it all started to mat into a sort of felt consistency that wasn't possible to comb though at all:eek: I will be more aware this time and keep combing ... may start to trim her at about 6 month or so ... but will see how it goes.

Bess is silky/glossy and wavy at the moment ... very easy and no sign of mats, but that may not still be the case in a few months time, as the adult coat will start to come through. S x

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It is funny how we are attracted to these dogs by their lovely shaggy coats and then end up lopping most of it off:D:D:D
It's the same for a lot of women Colin- get attracted to a man with a full head of hair only to find years later it has gone :eek :D:D:p

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Oh poor weller......Lady has insane matts all of a sudden too!!! all around her neck, working them out to shave her down a bit this week....i cant believe how fast they can go from no matts to completely covered

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Good thread, please show pictures Karen!
Izzie gets matted very easily as well :/ Especially around her bum where she sits!
Seriously keep an eye on this area everyone as because Izzie is always sat on it we could never really get to it & when we finally found it it's been awful! In fact we are still in the process of trying to brush & cut bits out of it to get her coat back nicely with our les pooches brushes, but it isn't easy. & we have to keep going in stages as Izzie hates grooming, which is why it still isn't fully done! Although is much better than when we first found them. Theirs legs get bad as well & under her tummy is terrible! I'm trying to just cut it all out so he tummy is early bald because it really hurts her & it just gets worse everytime she goes for a walk because everything gets stuck in it :/

Good luck to all of you with cockapoos with puppy coats in the near future! :D You will enjoy it i'm sure ;) x

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Not sure how I will manage Hattie. Years ago around 1965 (!) we had a poodle and mum always said it was like having a new dog every 6 weeks! Will see how Hattie turns out but she will probably be done quite often as easier to wipe off and not too many matts. However will have to wait till I see how coat matures. Will be a change from Jack Russells who could shed hair for Britian! I often say when I am on the slab having a PM they will find my lungs lined with a soft white fur!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know how to multi quote so....
Weller's coat started to change at about 9 months, how ever it has continued to change ever since it wasn't a sudden change. His puppy coat could get as long as you like and never matted, now he gets matts EVERY day. He has a shaggy coat not particulary curly but it has thickened up quite alot.
Sparty is here at the moment and he is about 9 months, same cross as weller but he definately has his bum fluff coat still :D
Comparing the two it is easy to see and feel the difference between adult and puppy coats. Weller is still soft but just thicker and so matts really easily. I will probably keep his coat short now, poor boy looks a mess......if anyone else had done this to him I would be sueing!!!!!!! There really was no way around it and still have more to do tomorrow, he had had enough for one day.
Can't put any pics on as I don't have any fig leaves to cover his modesty ;)

Good luck people enjoy your puppies before next year :eek:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.