I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I have an adorable 8 month cockapoo and am considering leaving her long-haired. However, I have been informed that this will be difficult to manage and that I am being unfair to Roxy as she will get too hot in the summer.
I am reluctant to have her clipped so would appreciate any advice from anyone that has a long-haired furry friend...... thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Long hair is hot in summer and cold in winter (because it takes so long to dry off when they get back from walks).
It also can get very matted which is painful because it pulls on their skin (like wearing a too-tight ponytail ouch!)

You'll have to get her clipped at some point or she'll turn into a gigantic ball of fluff!
Although of course you could ask for a long cut, and not get it done very often.

I met a "gigantic ball of fluff" on a walk once, and I did feel a bit sorry for him, he was covered in burrs, which are quite painful to remove. He was probably matted underneath it all and he couldn't really see properly because his eyes were covered.

It is a lot of work when their coat is long, and a brush won't get the matts, you have to use a comb, which my dog hates!

I understand where you're coming from - I didn't want to have Clemmy clipped the first time (and she did look odd afterwards!!) But I found it so much better for both of us that I became a convert and now I ask for the shortest cut, and look forward to getting it cut as soon as it starts getting long...

I'd suggest biting the bullet, getting it clipped, and see how you feel. It will grow back within 6-10 weeks anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Clemmy for for response,

I am diligent in grooming her every day and I have a friend who is a professional groomer who makes sure she is not tangled and thins out the hair around her eyes .

I am led to understand that cockapoos with long hair moult twice a year and that this can be a major problem. My groomer has no experience of this so I would be left on my on to deal with it, very daunting

·
Registered
108 Posts
I didn't know about the moulting. I always wondered what would happen if she lived "in the wild" as it were... good to know that cockapoos don't have an evolutionary "design flaw" which is what my son and I have discussed on several occasions (we're sad like that :D)
In what way does the moulting cause a problem?
Interesting - thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was of the opinion that a cockapoo was like other dogs and their coat was designed to keep them cool. I have been informed that since they are a hybrid this is in fact not the case and that if they are long-haired then they should be clipped all the way underneath from the armpits to the groin.

So I am here to seek further advice as I really do like to be properly informed before I make a decision. Especially when it comes to Roxys welfare

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yikes, that does seem like a big job, although I suppose if it's only twice a year.
I'd get her clipped if it were me (especially since you have dog groomer friend, which is very handy!!)
Since you're so diligent with grooming you could go for a long cut and then just maintain it at that length?
Sorry that's probably not much help.. but good luck whatever you decide (she's adorable btw!)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Clemmy,
I really appreciate your posts. I do hear you but I see so,many dogs clipped to save the owner time and everyone comments on how amazing she looks that I just thought I would give it a go.

To be really honest I have told myself I will wait until her adult coat appears but then have her clipped as I don't think I could cope with that huge task twice a year!!!

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I clip Molly myself and do her around every 5 weeks or so and keep her pretty short coated. Most of our walks are through fields and I find a short coat much more practical for us both as Molly wanders through streams, digs in mud :eek: and rolls on anything she comes across and then only needs a quick clean when home rather than spending hours sorting her out.

I did meet a man with a long coated but rather miserable looking dog once who informed me it would be much easier if I just kept her on the lead and walked her on the paths like he did with his dog :( I vote happy dog over nice coat every day :D

If you can keep the coat free of mats, and allow the dog to be a proper dog and get messy, and they dog does not mind the time spent brushing go for it and keep the coat as you wish :D

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Mine are better kept short too - they spend too much time in the sea and charging through the undergrowth.
One time before Kiki had been clipped and her coat was quite long she actually got entangled in brambles and could not extricate herself - she yipped until I got to her and managed to untangle her and shred my fingers in the process!
I thought I liked the shaggy look - but now I love them more when their coats are mid way between a clip (I usually get them done every 8 weeks or so) - when you can still see their athletic frame and they do not just look like rather overweight black sheep!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone I really am taking all your comments on board. I am beginning to think there isn't anyone out there with a long haired version.

Roxy is certainly a happy dog and extremely happy rolling through our woods in the old quarry. She enjoys her daily swim although she does venture into the mud puddle first.

This her when thoroughly wet after her swim and personally I don't think she looks nearly anywhere near as cute when she looks so skinny.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
She is lovely...
I'm not a fan of skinny looking either ..... but
I tried looking back for pics of Dot with longer hair and rather failed but here are some and with her at the perfect (in my opinion) length - chunky legs - but trim ears and face (otherwise she cannot see) and short body. Love my dog :D

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, thanks so much for sharing those photos of your beautiful dogs.
I have to check Roxy over when we get back from the quarry as it is really wild and we go through rape fields also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts