I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my name is geoff im looking for a cockapoo puppy but im confused:confused:
My first question is which of the three types would be best for us? Ideally we want a very calm dog or as calm as possible. My 5 year old can be nervous with dogs. He gets more confident after spending a lot of time with the same dog but when we go out walking he panics every time a
dog walks by. It's part of the reason we want to get a dog. It's a not fear its he never has had a dog. we want him to have a puppy and we think if we get a dog as a puppy he will get used to it as it grows into a dog and then hopefully he will be less nervous with other dogs he meets. I've read in general that cockapoos are
quite gentle and calm and good with kids but is there one type in
particular that is more so than the others?

Anyway when you have a chance I would be really grateful if you could
answer my questions.
Geoff

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'm not sure that cockapoos are the calmest of dogs - they are pretty lively and high energy and lots of fun. You would need to look for an individual personality rather than a type and the breeder should be able to advise you which pup in the litter is the most laid back. Some say that working cockers produce more hyper pups, but this is not a definite as they will vary.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi Geoff and family, as with any breed, you get calm cockapoos and you can get quite lively ones too.... I would recommend going to a few breeders and viewing the litter a few times to make sure to chose a calmer pup. Cockapoos are good with children but as Helen said, they can he lively, jumpy and positively great fun too !!

Only my personal choice, but I would look for an English or America show cocker spaniel and a toy or miniature poodle mix, and buy from a breeder you like, trust and do view the pups a few times to make sure you choose the right pup for your family. Some breeders will actually tell you which pup will suit your life style best. Where are you in the UK? There are a few great breeders on this forum who may be able to help you :)

Most of all enjoy your puppy picking xxxx

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Hi Geoff,

There are at least 18 types of F1 "Cockapoo" (unless you have a Cocker Spaniel with any mix of Show and Working in it's genetics).

The "F1" (first cross) is considered the most stable and the most hyper-allergenic.

We are learning (though meeting a cross-section of dogs first hand) that any mix of the American / English Show OR Working Cocker to either Toy; Traditional Miniature or Modern Miniature Poodle can result in a variable "ability" of pup - through "lively" to "couch potato" - you cannot genuinely single out a specific cross to second guess the actual outcome.

Basically - You will need to put in the legwork and either go and view 2 / 3 different breeders - OR go to your local park / doggie area and stop people and ask them about their dog ! As I am sure Cockapoos are out there now in sensible (ever increasing) numbers. Cockapoo owners are normally well used to being stopped ! and most will openly talk about their dogs and experiences.

This site is an ideal starting point - though do not dismiss any "type" until you do more research.

If you locate a breeder - whether "Hobby" or "Professional" - you can Google them AND ask an open question on here too !!!

A reputable breeder will not do hard sell - they will listen to you and your needs and should steer you in the right direction.

Take a look at as many Breeder's websites as you can (though we cannot ourselves see how anyone can call themselves "One of the Top breeders of Cockapoos" as we do not know how or who can award such a title !

Basically - find a "look" you like - and go visit them - MAKE SURE you actually meet and like MUM !
We openly believe 60% comes from Mum (a nervous mum is more likely to have a nervous pup / a lively mum, a lively pup and a steady; happy mum, a steady happy pup).

Don't worry about asking any question - we hear all too often from people who wished they knew then what they know now - and as such will happily give advise !

Stephen xx

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hi Geoff,i have both american and english cockapoos and in my opinion i find the american cockapoo much calmer and less hyper than the our english cockapoos.My american cockapoo mileys breeder also finds the american cockapoo pups calmer than the english pups too.You may be best to go for a toy size cockapoo rather than miniature,our english miniature kenya is 17 inches tall and although a big soft lump as quite boisterous when she was younger,she also insists on sitting on your knee thinking she is a toy poodle lol.Good luck with whatever you decide x

G

·
I am loath to say much on this subject as i think it has been thrashed well and truly, but my only comments will be , there are differant personalities in differant dogs of the same breed ,like people from differant countrys have the same traites ? yes .
I personally as a breeder of cockapoos for 13 years have gathered experience and knowledge of my cocker spaniels with my breed lines ,for example my show cockers come from 6 generations owned and bred by me so i am well versed to comment on MY english show cockers temperament and attitude and they are soft gentle couch potatoes when they want to be but at the other end of the spectrum will willingly retrieve and chase a ball swim cuddle with the kids , thats my breedlines i have developed like that were as another show cocker may be manic ? not yet seen one like that yet , but im sure they are out there , at the end of the day who cares they are all cockapoos we love them all ,short fat skinny hyper lazy couch potatoes etc , we are all here to look after the well being of the cockapoo so lets stop over doing our comments if you stephen believe there are 18 types thats fine i would not like to have to explain all 18 if some one asks you haha and same for me i believe there are 3 types what the hell lets all be cockapoo lovers and help the public out there to find the right pooch if some one asks me for a working type cockerpoo i say go to JD i genuinly believe although we have our differance of opinions that you are doing a good job and the effort that they put in is immense that is plain for all to see so happy days and good luck all with your new babies i thinks all breeders are busy as the world wants a cockapoo, my phone and emails dont stop but that is good isnt it cheers janice xx

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
my name is geoff im looking for a cockapoo puppy but im confused:confused:
My first question is which of the three types would be best for us? Ideally we want a very calm dog or as calm as possible. My 5 year old can be nervous with dogs. He gets more confident after spending a lot of time with the same dog but when we go out walking he panics every time a
dog walks by. It's part of the reason we want to get a dog. It's a not fear its he never has had a dog. we want him to have a puppy and we think if we get a dog as a puppy he will get used to it as it grows into a dog and then hopefully he will be less nervous with other dogs he meets. I've read in general that cockapoos are
quite gentle and calm and good with kids but is there one type in
particular that is more so than the others?

Anyway when you have a chance I would be really grateful if you could
answer my questions.
Geoff
Hi Geoff

All of the other discussions aside, you talk of your 5 year old son's panic when a dog walks past. You don't go into the possible reason for that trigger in your son. I'm wondering if there was an occasion or incident, however small or insignificant it may appear to you, that has set that 'fight or flight' reaction in him? Getting a puppy that he feels comfortable with from a young age and allowing them to grow up together could help him to overcome this reaction, if the exposure to the puppy is carefully managed by you. Very importantly you would have to carefully select a puppy that was neither dominant and assertive nor the other end of the scale shy and/or nervous. Not all puppies go through a bitey stage, for some it never enters their heads and that is the temperament of puppy that should be of interest to you. Selecting a puppy at a later stage say between 6-8weeks old will give you a greater chance of finding that ideal puppy and it may come in ANY of the Cockapoo variations and types available.
Once your son has become more accustomed to having a dog around he probably will love it equally whether it is a bouncy one or indeed a couch potato as either will become the norm.

Cockapoo's are bred for and make excellent loving loyal family pets. All you have to do is take into account that they do have individual personalities and you must search out the one that will do the job that you have lined up for it.

Julia x

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Can I just add that not all 'show' cockers are bred to be shown with just confirmation in mind and not all 'working' cockers are bred to work with high energy levels and stamina in mind.

A lot of cockers are just something in between and just great family pets. When I looked at Flo's KC papers there are both show champs and field trails champs in her background so her cocker background is mixed.

I don't think you need to worry so much about which type of cocker is used more than the look and temperament of the actual mum. Even most of the physical attributes between types such as head shape and build are indistinguishable once diluted by the poodle cross then covered in the shaggy cockapoo coat!!

Find a good breeder with a mum that you like then select a puppy from the litter with a look, coat and temperament that suits. The puppies will all be different - some quiet, some more dominant and some in the middle.

What's important is the actual puppy you choose then the training and work you put in once you have the puppy.

Make sure you select the puppy between 4-6 weeks when you can get a feel for temperament for yourself and also ask the breeder about each pup as they will know each puppies personality and can help you choose a puppy that will suit you.

Good luck with you search.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I am loath to say much on this subject as i think it has been thrashed well and truly, but my only comments will be , there are differant personalities in differant dogs of the same breed ,like people from differant countrys have the same traites ? yes .
I agree with you Janice. Stephen and Sarah 'Put down the mouse, step away from the keyboard........and breath!' You both are openly expressing your thoughts and beliefs in a debate which can only do good because you are putting lots of ideas and thought provoking issues out there for everyone to read, absorb and comment on.

I understand that there are indeed 3 TYPES of cocker spaniel used to breed F1 Cockapoo's in this country. I also accept that there are 18 VARIABLES depending on the combination of parents, cocker to poodle used for mating. No one wins or looses you both have very valid opinions!!

i thinks all breeders are busy as the world wants a cockapoo, my phone and emails dont stop but that is good isnt it cheers janice xx
It is true Cockapoo's are very popular and sell themselves to new people, in the park, outside the school gates etc etc etc because of who and how they are. The very traits that we all love on this forum. I get the feeling from everyone on this site that as a 'Cockapoo community' we all seem concerned with the health and welfare of the dogs, ownership and their breeding. So raises the question of health screening. I see change happening because of education and almost all new enquiries now ask about the health tests our breeding dogs have had. People want to 'check us and our facilities out'! That's all good in my book. Some sort of organisation that cares for the welfare and gives advice and information about Cockapoo's maybe very welcome, I'm sure many people would have an opinion about that. For me personally I worry about a breed standard as history has show with many KC registered breeds that many of the people involved will follow such a standard to the extreme, even if it means creating deformed unhealthy dogs. Who would ensure that the 'Cockapoo Club' (for want of a name) would be wiser than those of the almighty Kennel Club?

Food for thought?

Julia x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
hey it only gets a little heated at sometimes because we all love what we own or breed. Simply love what you have and bring on more cockapoos whatever the mix, no breed standard, so just love what you breed xxxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for The messages everyone, hope to learn lots more, so i probably will have many more questions. Got a few breeders to ring this week.
Geoff

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thanks for The messages everyone, hope to learn lots more, so i probably will have many more questions. Got a few breeders to ring this week. Geoff
That's good and it's always best to speak to and visit a few breeders before moving forwards. Look forward to hearing your news as you search for a puppy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts