I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone
i am new to this site - have just come across it as am looking to get a puppy this spring and not sure where to go. i live in chichester west sussex so could anyone recommend a good breeder near to me please?
am very excited!!
thanks
jacky

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hello Jacky and welcome to the forum.

Have a look on the finding a puppy threads on here and also on The Cockapoo Owners Club website http://www.cockapoo-owners-club.org.uk/cockapoo_finding_a_breeder.html

For breeders in your area I would have a loon www.breedersonline.co.uk

Please look at the health tests done by the breeders and consider how the puppy is raised? Some people prefer a commercial breeder and others a hobby breeder. The main thing is to do some research and decide what type of breeder is right for you.
You also need to decide what type of Cockapoo you would like; an American Cocker cross or an English. If English then there is the option of working or show Cockers.

It is worth making a short list and visiting breeders, that way you will get a feel for whether they are right for you. Then it is a matter of waiting for the breeders litter! It is such an exciting time! :D

Good luck with your search and do let us know how you get on. :)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hi & welcome!
What cross are you looking for?
& how far are you willing to travel for your pup? I would say be prepared to travel for the 'right' pup. Health testing is important ESPECIALLY PRA testing at least the poodles so ensure your pup will not go blind in the future.
People may then be able to give advice & experiences if we know which cross you are looking for :) Any particular colour or *** preference either?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi Jacky

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

My name is Turi - my boyfriend Marcus and I are getting our first Cockapoo at the end of February from a breeder in Cambridge who only breeds from Cockers from working lines. The three main crosses are:

1. English show type Cocker x Miniature Poodle
Look at Laura (L) Izzy (above). Laura has two English show type Cockapoos - Izzy and Poppy.

2. English working type Cocker x Miniature Poodle
Do a search for Cockapoodledoo. Karen has two working Cocker crosses - Rufus and Basil.

3. American Cocker x Miniature Poodle.
Do a search for jedicrazy - Clare's Obi is gorgeous!
This is quite a good link with lots of pictgures of American Crosses: http://www.ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=4781

All three look different, are different sizes and tend to have different energy levels and all three can also be mated with a toy Poodle for smaller offspring so it depends on what size dog you're looking for.

Let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I think one good piece of advise is not to be scared to travel for your pup. I think the average travel time on this forum is ~2 hours, we traveled about 100 miles (200 round trip!) to pick up Vincent.
It's a good idea to know what type of cockapoo you want, as Turi expertly explained, and then look for a breeder. Try and chose a breeder that only breeds cockapoos, or at least poodle crosses as having a big variety may mean they don't know as much about each breed as if they concentrate on one.
There are a few breeders here, off the top of my head there's Jandez, Jukee Doodle and Anzil, if you google them you should get their sites.
Alternatively breeder-online is a great place to start.

On top of that don't rule our hobby breeders, we got Vincent from one and she was fantastic. ALWAYS visit the breeder first to see the conditions and the pups. Always ask for parent health tests and if you're not happy don't buy from them! It really is easy to get caught up in the excitment so keep a cool head!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.