I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the name of a good breeder who has pups or will soon have pups. I had one reserved with a breeder who I thought was ideal, the pups were due on the 14thfeb. I had left a deposit of £100. She e mailed on the 13th to say the mum had had a fall and all the pups except one was born dead. I was really upset for the mother and pups, she returned my deposit. Today I looked on her web site to see her ADVERTISING 7 pups born on 14th Feb. The price had gone up by £50 , but I wouldn't have minded that, maybe because I wanted a black pup and in the photos they are all golden, I don't know but I am now suspicious of breeders, I made a mistake with a pup some 25years ago and don't want to make the same mistake. Can anyone help I'm in Windsor.

Granmakrys

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum :welcome:. What is your name?

My name is Turi and my boyfriend and I are picking up our first Cockapoo tomorrow!

I hope you don’t mind me saying but this breeder sounds downright dodgy – what a strange thing to tell you if it’s not true. I’d steer clear if it were me.

I’m more than happy to provide some links to commercial breeders – I wouldn’t know about all the hobby breeders out there so you’d have to look on Breeders Online or somewhere similar. However, could you advise what sort of Cockapoo you’re after? American, English show or English working? Miniature or Toy Poodle?

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that. I hope the breeder didn't make up that really sad story. is it possible she had two mums ready to give birth? that is just really sad

I am not in the same country so I can't help you with breeders...tho I know that Turi, if she is near to you, she has a complete list of breeders and phone numbers

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

So sorry to hear about your recent experience with a breeder. They are some lovely breeders out there but it may take a bit of research to find one that you are happy with.

You could have a look on www.breedersonline.co.uk, they have listings for breeders and puppies available.

I am not sure about whether your previous breeder considered the health of the puppies or whether the parent's were health checked however there are a few things to consider on your search. Please feel free to check out The Cockapoo Owners Club guide to finding a breeder which may help you. :)

http://www.cockapoo-owners-club.org.uk/cockapoo_finding_a_breeder.html

Good luck with your search and do let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
This made me feel so sad, so sorry you were told this from a breeder and more so that it may have been untrue, made me feel sick actually.

I have a puppy buying guide on My Dogs Life which may help you find your ideal breeder. I dont like to recommend breeders myself as I think it is a very personal experience finding a breeder of your choice.

http://www.mydogslife.co.uk/category/puppy-buying-care/puppy-buying-guide/

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
That's terrible! How could someone just lie :S
What cross are you looking for? That will help when looking for breeders as most breeders only breed certain crosses.
Hope you find the right breeder for you soon, it must have been really disappointing :/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking for a breeder

Thanks so much for all your replies they have been really helpful. To be honest I didn't know there where so many different cockapoos. I'm looking for a not too
boisterous, happy,outgoing little dog, either boy or girl and I would prefer black.
I am retired and look after my grandson (2yr) 3 days a week and his soon too arrive sister so that's why I was looking at breeders with children. I have owned both cockers and poodles in the past and loved them both so I thought a little cockapoo would be ideal Thanks again you have restored my faith in dog owners.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
So are you not really bothered about which 'type' to go for, just a cockapoo from a good breeder?

The English working cocker crosses are said to have more energy, shorter ears & are said to be taller and slimmer, whereas the English shows are said to be more laid back, have longer ears, shorter & stockier in build... Although I say 'said' because as they are crosses we cannot be 100% sure which traits the pups will take from the parents. American crosses are supposed to be smaller, have shorter noses & tend to have thicker coats I think.

They are just the main differences that are generally pointed out, although it isn't always the case. For example, both my girls are English show cocker x miniature poodle crosses & neither have long ears (have the shorter poodles ears not the cockers), but they are quite small height wise and my oldest filled out nicely so is a bit stockier than her poodle dad.

Hope some of that helps, cockapoos are said to be good with children in general so hopefully you shouldn't have a problem there, although obviously all pups nip so you will have to try and teach the pup not to do that.

Good luck with your search :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.