I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new member, just sayng hello. We lost our gorgeous wonderful not a bad bone in her body chocolate Cockerpoo called Tilly on Monday, road accident. Absolutely heartbroken.

Tilly came from Marley Doodles, and we've had her since July 2010, she was born in May 2010. Just the perfect perfect little dog. We were in Italy all last week for my daughter's wedding, and friends were looking after her, they've had her before. Anyway, we landed at Gatwick at about 2pm on Monday 22nd and I received a text to say ring them, and she'd bolted in front of a car at about 9am that mornng. Appaarently it was instant. My husband David went to see Tilly yesterday at the vets, she looked very peaceful, no external injuries.

She'll be cremated, and we will scatter her ashes on the Common on which we live, she was so, so happy here. I've been doing dog aglity with her for last 18 months and she was learning so fast.

Huge huge gap in our lives and in our house. We've been out walking today, just talking and trying to get ourselves used to things. Loads of cards from dog walking people in the village and even two little bunches of flowers today.

Anyway, we've tried so hard to tell our friends that it's not their fault, which it isn't, we had seen her bolt twice before so it's our fault for not saying please keep her on lead. The driver didnt stop, and they were too shocked to get number. They did notify police I think.

Just hope this message is useful to someone whose Cockerpoo may sometimes run off quickly, and won't respond to 'stop' command from other people.

We are really heartbroken but will now find another fairly young Cockerpoo hopefully.

Best wishes, a very sad

Eileen

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Eileen I really don't know what to say :( what a devastating end to what must have been a very special family time. Any of us could be in your position, any dog could bolt if frightened etc even if it wouldn't normally.
Much love to you and your husband, take care of each other at this sad, sad time, please carry on posting on here and ThankYou for sharing :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
So sorry to hear your very sad news. It's just awful for you and your poor friends too. It's every dog owners worst nightmare and can happen so easily. At least your girl didn't suffer at all.
Thank you for posting and I am sure it will be a reminder to us all about the dangers of traffic.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Oh how very, very sad. Thanks so much for posting a salutary warning for everyone.

with sympathy and all best wishes to you, your family and your friends,
Toffin
x

·
Registered
333 Posts
So sad to read this heartbreaking post, our thoughts are with you and your friends who must be equally devastated, so very sorry.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
With much love and a big hug - so sad for you.
It sounds as if Tilly had a wonderful happy life and gave you much joy and I hope that your memories of her will comfort you and your family.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So incredibly sorry to read this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thank you for the warning. This is something I will always remember when out walking my cockapoo.

Xx

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I'm so sad for you. What a horrible and shocking experience to have to go through. I am always worried about this and my second puppy pulls on the lead so much that I'm always frightened that something's going to snap, as I'm sure she'd just run out into a road without thinking. My thoughts are with you. x

·
Registered
391 Posts
Elieen I am so sorry to read this, such a sad story & my heart goes out to you, your family & friends at this devastating time

It sounds like she was very much loved by you and your husband and was a very happy & content little dog, hope it is comforting to know she didnt suffer at all

Big hugs to you at this very sad time x

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Absolutely heartbreaking story, I am so very sorry to read about your loss of Tilly.

Thinking of you all at this dreadful time.

S xx

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Eileen I'm so sorry to read this, can't even begin to imagine how heartbroken you must be.

Tilly sounds like she was a great girl and obviously brought much so happiness into your lives during her short lifetime.

It's a stark reminder to us all as it could so easily of Been any of our dogs, thank you for sharing with us.

It would be lovely for you to stay in touch and let us know how you're all doing and perhaps,whenever the time is right, we may be able to share with you, bringing another cockapoo into your lives.

Thinking about you, your family and your friends at this time .....

:hug: :hug: :hug:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am so sad for you - its send a shiver down my spine. I hope that you find some comfort in thoughts about happy times that you had with her x

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for replies

Many thanks for all replies, really kind. Tried writing this before but it seems to have disappeared.

Our insurance, well known insurer, doesn't include Tilly's cremation costs, which will be about £120, so maybe check that when you renew.

Most of all there's just a huge void at home. No happy happy greeting at door, no one to give a bit of your sandwich, no need to fill food bowl and water bowl, so many many many little things that just all add up.

Anyway.

Thanks for all replies, we miss you so much Tillbags.

Eileen

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hello Eileen, oh I am so sorry to hear of this tragic accident with Tilly, I myself have lost a pet through road accident and know how quickly it can hapen, it really is the hardest thing to get over, but although her life was cut unfairly short I hope you can treasure the happy memories you shared in her life with you. When you lose a pet this way it really does make you wary of off lead walks I myself find it very hard to be able to relax with my two off lead now unless its an enclosed field, it's a shame because I really would love to see my two running around off lead on a daily basis when we go out for walks but I cannot go through that again, so for me unless the field is safe and well away from roads or railway tracks they have to stay on lead. I do hope in time you will be able to love another little Cockapoo.

Big hugs & Take care xxx

1 - 20 of 46 Posts