I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shortly going to begin my search for a cockerpoo, I'm sure these questions have come up before but I would really appreciate your tips on what to look for when choosing my puppy plus the age old question of boy or girl. Also I am confused by which is best a american or english spaniel for breeding and also a toy or minature poodle, there seems to be some conflict on line as to which makes the best type of cockerpoo.

Thanks again and I really hope to use this forum to make friends and share stories in the future:)

Louise UK

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
sure others will be able to give you lots of advice, but in the mean time do a search on here and you will find lots of advice, no really rights and wrongs as to which is best, its personal choice and what fits with your lifestyle. Welcome

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
You'll get lots of sound advice from some of our more experienced members but I wanted to say :welcome: and good luck :) There are also working cockers to throw into the mix (my pup's mum is a working cocker) As far as boy/girl - from what I can gather, it makes no great odds :)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Hi and welcome.

It really is down to personal choice. Read loads on the internet, look at pictures and get a feel for what it is you're looking for.

I was going to try and give you some advice, but decided it was a bit of a mine field and I only have experience of Millie, a girl, english show cocker mum, miniature poodle dad.

:D

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi Louise

Yes they are all cockapoos what ever the mix (Show Cocker Spaniel, Working Cocker Spaniel, English, American, Toy or Miniature Poodle) the overall look may differ but they are all stunning Cockapoo's .. it is all about personal choice on this one...

Have a look around see what cockapoo you like the look of on the forum and ask the member what mix their cockapoo is .. that may be a good place to start ..

Enjoy the forum .. we are a bit cockapoo mad here but we will help you as much as we can or point you in the right direction to someone who does know :) :)

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi Loiuse, I'd agree with JoJo maybe search the pics on here it may help you decide what you are looking for. Good luck with your search and a big welcome, keep us informed x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi Louise, welcome to the forum. As others have said, there's no right or wrong - just what your individual preferences are. I personally prefer boys because castration is a lot more minor op than spaying, and I also wanted a cockapoo at the smaller end of the scale. The sizes vary tremendously, so if this is important to you, make sure you take care to get the size that you want. Also, some are more cocker than poodle, so if a non-shedding coat is your preference, go for a curlier coat. Some say that working cockers produce more high-energy pups, but others disagree. Other than that, just look around and find a good breeder who you click with. Happy hunting!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
its a personal choice, i have a mixture, i have three English 2 show one working, my working is very lazy and just want to spend time with my mum, but was a very quick learner and lo0ved agility.

my two English show girls are very energetic but are still happy to sleep as much as i need them too.

my american Show is very loude and very cheeky she is a chancer but no a dominant dog.

all my girls are mini because we dognt want to go too small, my working and American grls are the same hight 16" but my american is more squaired if hat makes since?

where as my wo English shows are 17-18" one very cockery one vey poodley.

try breedersonline.com, epupz, pets4homes

good luck

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome Louise!
I'll add my voice to the others...do LOTS of research. Make sure you research on what to look for in breeders as well as the puppy. I have no idea what kind of cocker Bella's mom is, but her father is a mini. Our breeder told us she used to use toy poodles but didn't like how the puppies were turning out. She said they seemed to be a bit more agressive. BUT...I'm sure there are tons of great cockapoos out there mixed with toy poodles that are wonderful dogs!

Our dog is the sweetest girl and we love her to pieces. We'll never get another kind of dog, ever!! :) Once you make your decision, you'll be so glad you chose a cockapoo, no matter what 'flavor'!! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all so much for making me feel so welcome you all seem a lovely bunch, I think it will be another few months before I get my cockerpoo. I have my name down with a breeder for their November pups. I think it is a good thing as it gives me a few months and also I am moving house so far better to wait and do it properly. Can't wait though and shall enjoy reading your experiences till then. Thanks again to everyone who replied Louise

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Great news Louise ...

Good plan to move house first .. and a puppy will make a lovely addition to your new home :) how exciting

What cockapoo mix did you go for?
Boy or girl or undecided?
Which breeder is the pup coming from?

Sometimes on here we get some pups from the same litters and it is really nice when siblings can stay in contact.. so you never know you may find your pups sisters and brothers will be on here too :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts