I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there have been thinking about getting another poo to be a friend to Beau. He is almost a year and about to be neutered. Had two dogs before - a boy and a girl. Just wondered if having two males would cause any problems. Would they be likely to scent mark in the house? Would be interested to hear your replies. :)

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I was advised to have a girl for my second and it has been proven to be great advice, my two get along very well. I have always had boys and I was tempted to get another but I have actually really enjoyed having a girl this time.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi like Tess I got a girl just to elemimate any chance of introducing an alpha male issue, did nt want to upset Wilf by getting no.2. Obviously dont know if this would have been an issue, our vet felt that as Wilf was nt entire anyway then introducing either *** would have been ok. Having said all that I would say that typical girl Mable is probably top dog xx There are people on here with 2 boys with no such issues. x

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have 2 dogs neither of them have ever scent marked in the house. Plenty outside though ha ha !
My brother in law's dog did wee up the cats scratch post - which was rather annoying - but he also constantly growls at my dogs so its really stressful when he visits.
That aside I've not had any issues having 2 dogs, they get on very well, Rascal remains top dog and they really miss each other when one is out ( not very often ) as whoever's left at home whines and cries !
I've had 2 dogs previously and they were both good as well. One was a rescue and he had had the op, don't know whether this helps ! Scamp has also had the op but Rascal hasn't.
Have never had a bitch so can't comment ! ( know some though lol ) :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Karen thanks for your reply. When I had my last two cockers Amber was most definitely the boss. My concern is that as Beau is very macho and always scent marking even in the vets and the pet shop given have a chance. I thought that maybe another male in the house might make him mark there as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your info. The guy who runs the dog club I go to is a behaviourist so I think I will pick his brains as well. We had a dog in the past who cocked his leg in the house and I don't want to do anything to encourage that in my Beau who is very good in the house. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.