I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a cockapoo that will not come when called no matter what bribery you use? We are having a big problem with Mollie and it is really restricting our enjoyment of her because we can't let her off the lead under any circumstances - even in the back garden! My poor husband has just rang me stressed to the limit because he let her out in the garden (without her lead on) and can't get her back in and he's got to be at work in 5 minutes! We try not to turn it into a game of chase but when your time is limited its hard not to try and catch her! Any suggestions would be much apprecited!!!

· Registered
1,709 Posts
I think you might have to go back to the start here and begin recall training again.
Inside the house call Mollie over to you, if she comes give her a lot of treats and love. Repeat this throughout the day until she comes everytime. We used to play a game with Vincent where I would be downstairs with him, my boyfriend upstairs. Boyfriend would call Vincent and Vincent would run and find him!
You've really got to make sure that when she comes she is really treated a lot! Otherwise she'll just not bother, why go to you when she can find something interesting elsewhere?

Do you have a super long lead? I would get one and continue to practise outside with it.
We still practise recall with Vincent all the time, on every walk we shout him to come back even if he is perfectly ok just to make sure he knows to come everytime.

Good luck!!

· Registered
2,008 Posts
I wouldnt try to turn it into a game because she will just want to play chase all the time and wont come to you.Must admit if Buddy wont come in from the garden i will shout "dins dins" he seems to know this means food and 9 times out of 10 he will come in.Now if i was to go outside and try to catch him he'd be like "yay chase me chase me " and just keep running away from me.

I find ignoreing him has a better effect.

As for recall when out walking ,if its that bad i'd use a long line and keep practiceing recall and treat until your sure he's got it.

Must admit if Buddy sees another dog recall goes out the window i have to grab him and pop the lead back on .

How old is she?

· Registered
534 Posts
Pushca has selective recall if there are foxes around but always comes if i have treats. I usually carry bits of salmon or the skin she will always come for that. Always hold out the treat and I usually say sit too and then lots of praise. At home I shake her bowl or just get her NI out of the fridge if she is being stubborn. A great tip I got was one of you hide behind a tree. Your pup will panic and come find you I guarantee; plus your partner can keep an eye on the dog
Good luck it really is a bit of a job:D

· Registered
3,324 Posts
Hi Julie, I know what a problem this can be, you are not alone ! I think with young pups it's a matter of persevering with training, with an older pup, like mine, going through adolesence and testing the boundaries, it may be a matter of going back to basics. A long line can help enormously to reinforce the training you have already done, and in the short term at least allow your poor hubby to get Mollie in so he can go to work, (maybe not today :eek:) Here are a number of links to previous threads on this, I do hope you find something useful for you

http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=5296&highlight=Recall
http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=4375
http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=4467&highlight=Recall
http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=4123&highlight=Recall
http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=3849&highlight=Recall

best of luck, you will get there, honest :)

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Are you using high value treats? Hattie will do anything for frankfurter. Also we had a bit of a glitch around letting me put her in the car after a walk. I put a short nylon lead on when I let her loose in the field she never noticed it and ran as normal but it gave me something to grab if she deceided on a game of "catch me" when walk over. Now I make sure she is back on the lead before the car comes into view. She is not nervous or affraid of the car just doesn't want to go home!

· Registered
111 Posts
Eric (15 months) and Pearl (17 Weeks) are both the same, when they see other dogs thay just want to say hello but actually in general they are both great at their recall. I must admit though I had a recall training session for Eric with a trainer who did a 1 hour longline session. Essentially the basis of this training was that is Eric did not come when called whilst on the longline, we turned and walked briskly in the opposite direction, he hit the end of the line which gave him a sharp jolt and all he could see was us walking in the opposite direction. It worked great and although we had to keep the longline on for a few weeks following the training it was fairly easy. I would recommend you do it with a qualified trainer though. In fact i have just looked and you are fairly local to me, I am Cheshire. If yopu want the details of my trainer PM me and I can supply. It was the best £20 I spent!!! Pearl my pup now just follows Eric's lead and it helps she is very food motivated.

· Registered
515 Posts
My advice is high value treats only used for recalls. (chicken, hotdog etc)

Use a long line that the dog just drags attached preferably to a harness. Only recall the dog when you have your foot on the line. If dog returns, treat, fuss and then send straight away. If dog does not recall use the line to bring the dog back and keep with you for a few mins with no attention ie dont talk to the dog or eye contact it then let free again.

Repeat every couple of mins while out. Dog should get the message that if it returns it gets a treat and freedom, it if does not then it gets nothing but has loss of freedom for a few mins. Dogs are not stupid, if you do it consistantly they get the message.

As the dog gets better you can make the line smaller. I usually make my own out of washing line rope so it can easily be cut down in size until its no longer needed.

Hope this helps

· Registered
2,870 Posts
We had our training class last night and we are doing recall. She has told us only to say their name once, followed by 'come'! in the most enthusiastic voice you can muster. If you say it repeatedly they just tune out. She said me must never chase the dog however tempting. If that fails use a really high value treat or toy. Failing that she said to start to walk away as that often makes then panic and come running. However, we have an Afghan in the class who failed to respond to the command last night and the trainer said that she has learnt to ignore the 'come' command and she should either try another word or to consider training her with a whistle.

I think with your particular problem, the others are right in saying that you need to go right back to beginning and do it often around the house.

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Izzie will do anything for chicken!
Although we're currently having some problems with Poppy deciding to run away at the end of walks! So it's difficult :/
You've had loads of great advise though so persevere & you'll get there! Good luck x

· Registered
3,015 Posts
If Archie does'nt listen to my recall i say "see you" then start walking away,it really works for me. I did it with one of my springers and it worked with him to.
Same here... Betty hates to think she is being left too. I walk in the other direction saying ' Betty I'm going' - it works even around other dogs now.
I also hide behind tree's a lot when we are out walking (especially at the beginning of the walk) it keeps her honest and she doesn't let me out of her sight.

· Super Moderator
4,753 Posts
I have never had to resort to reeling a dog in but in the early days I have only called the dog when they are likely to come so always setting them up to succeed as much as possible. Reward with tasty treats, fuss and/or a game and then let them go again. As they learn recall is good you can start to call them in more distracting environments.

One of the most important things is to never punish a dog when they do finally come back even if they have led you a merry dance for hours, rolled in filth and behaved disgracefully.

· Registered
515 Posts
The idea of using a line is to stop them learning they can lead you a merry dance for hours!!!

Set them up for sucess yes, but have a back up plan ie the line for if they chose not to come back.

· Super Moderator
4,753 Posts
Sorry - - my fault I should have been clearer - I would use a long line (on a harness not a collar) for safety - but then not call when it is clear the dog is not going to respond in the early days and just call when they are likely to.

This is the method I used for Molly when she first came to me as a 16 month old with a total obsession for bird chasing who had no recall and had only ever been walked with a short lead.

· Registered
2,124 Posts
I didnt have recall problems with my cockapoos but i did with my tibetan terrier,wlaks ere an absolute nightmare and i started dreading taking her for a walk.Then i talked to a trainer who suggested using a whistle starting the training at home,randomely blowing the whistle throughout the day and when she responded she as rewarded with something delicious that she only got for this purpose,i used little pieces of smoked sausage and sometimes chicken etc.I was then told to try the same method on the extending lead outdoors and only tried her off the lead once she had been responding well to this method for several weeks.it took a couple of months but was well worth it.She occasionally takes a little longer to come back than she should but never runs off anymore xxx

· Registered
75 Posts
I'm working with Lucy on this, too.. I've read it is best to call them multiple times while they're out playing, give them treats, then say "go play!" and release them. Don't just call them to come when its time to go home, cause then they'll associate "come" with darn, we have to leave. Also, never call them when you're not 100% sure they will come. (so make sure they are on lead so you can reel them in if needed) And never call them to do something not fun, like take a bath if they hate baths. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.