I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After hearing on this forum alone of three young dogs knocked down with meimgitus, I am beginning to wonder if there is something in the make up of cockapoos that makes then more suceptable to getting it. I have been trawling the net and there is someone to contact in the uk regarding meningitus. The Animal Health trust will possibly carry out studies in the future to try and find a genetic test for this disease. Beagles are known for being quite suceptable to this illness. A test would be great news to help stop families and their dogs going through such a horrible experience.
I will paste a short amount of some of the info I found but I definately think it is worth Clare, Ali and Nic contacting the lady in the link and see if they are indeed interested in your stories.

"Given that some breeds of dog are over represented in the population with SRM there is a possibility of a genetic predisposition which basically means the dog may have a hereditary problem which makes them more likely to develop this immune mediated disease. The availability of DNA marker tests for screening of canine disease is a major research area. Currently there is not research on this syndrome underway. If you have a dog affected with SRM, please consider submitting a DNA swab via the (CHIC) -Canine Health Information Center DNA Banking program. There is a minimal fee for the submission. But if in the future, research is started on this problem it would be ideal to have DNA available from as many affected dogs as possible. For additional information on how submit cheek swabs of an affected beagle, please contact Darlene Stewart at [email protected] or review the information on the CHIC website. http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/

The Animal Health Trust in the UK is trying to collect enough blood samples to start genetic research on this problem. In the UK, anyone having a beagle with the condition or knowing of one is encouraged to contact Dr. Samantha Goldberg at [email protected].

This syndrome is similar to Kawasaki disease in humans"

I know Obi has made a good recovery and I am sure, Beau and Sid will too but sending lots of get well wishes to you all.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Interesting. I must admit it partly crossed my mind too. But I don't know who prevalent meningitus is is the dog world. I assume that because we are all on here chatting that it seems more so. Its good to know that the Animal Welfare Trust wants to monitor the situation.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I too am glad that someone is monitoring this. I did think it was quite rare and was surprised that three young Poos on here all have it but we must also be careful to share our experiences without scaring people into thinking that their Poos may get it too and not enjoy their wonderful pets as until full research is done it may just be as Clare said to me that we were just unlucky!

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
When Obi got ill and I researched SRM I found out about it being more common in certain breeds which does point to the possibility that it could be genetic. I know of two other Cockapoos (apart from Beau and Sid) who have had too as they told about their dogs recoveries when I was worried about Obi. So the numbers are building and it does worry me.

I do think that it might be worth making contact with this lady and I will do that. I really do hope it's not a genetic thing and another possible health risk for Cockapoos. I thought Obi and Beau were just unlucky but now, with news of Sid too, I'm not so sure any more :( .

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
When Obi got ill and I researched SRM I found out about it being more common in certain breeds which does point to the possibility that it could be genetic. I know of two other Cockapoos (apart from Beau and Sid) who have had too as they told about their dogs recoveries when I was worried about Obi. So the numbers are building and it does worry me.

I do think that it might be worth making contact with this lady and I will do that. I really do hope it's not a genetic thing and another possible health risk for Cockapoos. I thought Obi and Beau were just unlucky but now, with news of Sid too, I'm not so sure any more :( .
I will also contact the lady once I have seen the neurologist at the end of the week as will have more info on Beau then. I didn't know that there were two others that you know off and like you really hope it isn't genetic especially as it was health reasons we went for a mixed breed as athough you can never be 100% we did think that they would be healthier :confused:

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Really interesting. I dont think the info should scare people, but your experiences have been informative and allow the rest of us to be aware and if our dogs are sick to look out for similarites and push the vets like Clare had to... it will allow us to be empowered with the info and enable us to act quickly. Thanks xx

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Really interesting. I dont think the info should scare people, but your experiences have been informative and allow the rest of us to be aware and if our dogs are sick to look out for similarites and push the vets like Clare had to... it will allow us to be empowered with the info and enable us to act quickly. Thanks xx
I think you are right re scaring people Karen. I posted after just having bumped into a friend who has a Goldendoodle pup and was telling her about Beau when she started to get upset and said that her pup had been a bit off colour that morning and could he have meningitis. I told her that if she was concerned at all about her pup she should just get him checked out at the vets as it would more than likely be nothing to worry about and so this was on my mind at the time as would hate to think I am scaring anyone but as you say knowledge can empower someone into being able to speak up for their pets. I do think that this is an excellent thread and am pleased that Karen (Wellerfeller) has posted it and now that people are aware that Clare, Nic and I have all experienced meningitis in our Poos to varying degrees we may be off some help to them :) xx

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately with more knowledge about illness and disease comes the possibility of scaring people. We just hate the thought of anything horrible happening to our loved ones, human or pets. However I think it is far better to be a little scared about something and it never happening than not being aware if it and losing my dog, just for the simple fact that I didn't know.
Awareness does indeed give us power. It gives us the opportunity to recognise signs and head for a vet perhaps a lot quicker than we would if we weren't aware of such things.

I know I panic every time my little ones (human :)) get a fever and a rash, its always nothing and it scares the hell out of me but I would much rather be over cautious than oblivious.

Before Obi I had never heard of this condition in dogs and I have worked with them for many years, so I now feel armed with info about this and feel confident I could recognise any signs and be able to act swiflty, although my own dog seems to be past the age that dogs normally get this disease, you just never know what life is going to chuck at you or people you know. So a big thank you ladies for sharing your stories, it has been a huge help to me and others I am sure of it!!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Obi's story hear with symptoms if it helps :) :)

http://www.mydogslife.co.uk/author/clare-carroll/

Typical symptoms of SRM include:

Hyper reaction to touch, particularly neck/spine area
Pain when head moved side to side, up and down
Fever
Lethargic behaviour
Strange gait when walking and standing motionless with an arched back
Reluctance to go up/down steps
Shaking/panting

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've been reading the awful stories of the poor pups on here getting meningitis,and I have to say I am really scared about it. Reading other peoples' accounts of their dogs and illnesses made me very sad and fearful for my Dexter. I feel very confused about this whole subject.

I hope all the dogs make a strong recovery. Sending warm wishes to you all xxx

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Fever
Lethargic behaviour
Shaking/panting
Thanks for posting this JoJo as these are ALL the symptoms Beau displayed and although when I took her to the vet last week I was hoping I had got it wrong I knew deep down she had meningitis :( The good news for us at least is that she is doing really well, her steroids have been reduced from one and three quarters of tablets to just half and today she enjoyed her first proper walk in the sun :) She is still very tired and not playing very much but it is still very early days :)

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Gemma try not to be overly scared by these stories, there are far far more cockapoo pups that are never affected by this. It is still relatively rare, when you consider just how many dogs there are out there.
The intention is to just make owners aware of symptoms and treatment, so that God forbid any dog should become ill then we as owners can act promptly.
What confuses you? Please ask any questions or air you worries and I am sure someone will have the answer or just be able to put your mind at ease.

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts

Fever
Lethargic behaviour
Shaking/panting
Thanks Jojo! I would also add the following to the list now too:

Lowered/awkward head position or head pushing against walls/objects
Drooling

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi Gemma try not to be overly scared by these stories, there are far far more cockapoo pups that are never affected by this. It is still relatively rare, when you consider just how many dogs there are out there.
The intention is to just make owners aware of symptoms and treatment, so that God forbid any dog should become ill then we as owners can act promptly.
What confuses you? Please ask any questions or air you worries and I am sure someone will have the answer or just be able to put your mind at ease.
When I say I'm confused,I just mean that this Meningitis seems to have come from nowhere and affected several dogs (on here) at the same time. Are any of the dogs from the same lines? Do they have anything in common? I'm just trying to understand better. I think I have some reading to do.
Thanks for replying to my comment. Again,I'd just like to wish a full recovery for each dog and for the owners to stay positive xxx

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.